JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3215 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Depending on your region, the elders should have received (or will soon) a branch letter with a list of required components, and a list of recommended models and suppliers.

While it's not strictly necessary to get the exact recommended model or use the supplier (I'd personally recommend BenQ, ViewSonic, or Vivitek, through a supplier with a reliable warranty program and fast shipping), the tech specs indicated in the letter will reflect the requirements for upcoming streaming events, and it will list the components necessary to tie in to the sound system used in your region.

We got a Panasonic PT-WV345NZ.  Not sure if we got a choice, it was just the one sent through the supplier.  Very good projector.

We don't always use the projector for the Monthly JW Broadcast.  We also have a TV set up in the second school room, and a HDMI splitter/amp so the video is sent to the projector and/or TV.

In Canada the latest thing is we are going away from projectors ... Just large smart TV screens if it fits within a Kingdom Hall ...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

In Canada the latest thing is we are going away from projectors ... Just large smart TV screens if it fits within a Kingdom Hall ...

Not at our hall. Just installed a new projector hanging down from ceiling ( has remote control - same as new motorized screen, remote controlled ) late last summer.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I've seen a few halls go with televisions for the initial install, but every one has went with a proper projector/screen for their auditorium within a few uses.

Realistically speaking, unless the hall has two TVs on the platform and two ceiling/wall mounted at the halfway point in the auditorium, most of the audience won't see much at all. There's simply no way that a 120" diagonal projector screen can be replaced by a 40" diagonal TV screen without taking a major hit on visibility.

The only downfall on a projector is the price of the lamp. Some lamps are over $400.00 and many don't have long projection times.

Plus if they are on the ceiling you need a tall ladder to access the lamp.

Something to consider when purchasing.

We got a Panasonic PT-WV345NZ.  Not sure if we got a choice, it was just the one sent through the supplier.  Very good projector.

We don't always use the projector for the Monthly JW Broadcast.  We also have a TV set up in the second school room, and a HDMI splitter/amp so the video is sent to the projector and/or TV.

The kingdom hall we use has a BenQ projector,i know of another cong also that uses the same projector,maybe installed before we got the letter,the previous kingdom hall we used had the new Panasonic one,the  BenQ pic qual looks pretty good

Our CO was talking to me about using the projector.  He wanted to know how easy it is to use with USB drives.  The Panasonic one that we have can play mp4 videos straight of a USB drive, but I find the controls quite fiddly.  If the kingdom halls have different makes of projectors, then it is probably best left to the local brothers to handle it, rather than the CO trying to get to grips with different projectors.

Most of the projectors we installed the brothers had replacement bulbs already and the new projectors that use led last a long time

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We are in the process of replacing our projector with 2 new TVs - 2 X 65" LED. They are only $800 each - much cheaper than the new bulbs.

I'll post a picture when done.

Have fun all   :wave:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We are in the process of replacing our projector with 2 new TVs - 2 X 65" LED. They are only $800 each - much cheaper than the new bulbs.

I'll post a picture when done.

Have fun all   :wave:

If you get Smart TV's like Samsungs, you can access JW Broadcasting directly from the TV's web browser. Nothing to add :)

The only downfall on a projector is the price of the lamp. Some lamps are over $400.00 and many don't have long projection times.

Plus if they are on the ceiling you need a tall ladder to access the lamp.

Something to consider when purchasing.

For the projector we bought, the bulb lasts a couple years, with a replacement cost of $300, and a projector/screen cost around $1500.

In the hall that (temporarily) went with a television-only setup, they went with four 40" TVs, at $2500 each, for a total screen cost of $10,000.

In order for the projector and bulbs to match the cost of the TV-only setup, the congregation would have to replace the bulb once a year for 28 years.

A 40" TV for $2500! Someone saw them coming! LOL

My 60" Smart LED/LCD TV was under $1000 and if there were two of them at the front of our Kingdom hall, the whole congregation would be able to see it fine. We tested it. Unfortunately, this was after one of the four congregations who meet at the KH had purchased a projector and screen, Someone jumped the gun.  :)

Edited by Musky

With the recent LDC renovation we had at our double Hall, the picture is nice. There's no problem to see it. I think they have followed closely the branches guidelines. Probably even using a hdmi amplifier. The audio has been significantly improved with a yamaha mixing board and newer speakers in ceiling tile grid.

When showing the Be bold video, a setting was used that used only about one fourth of the available screen of the motorized projector screen. It probably was a setting issue. I like what we have. Also I like the USB stick drive option if it's available and no problem to use.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

A 40" TV for $2500! Someone saw them coming! LOL

At the time, it was the recommended TV from the recommended supplier, both of which were overpriced IMO. The projector/TV decision was made by congregation vote, and apparently they decided that $10k upfront would be "cheaper" than $300 every couple years.

My congregation wanted to go with a TV setup, but after a test run using a brother's 72" tv it was clear that between the deep auditorium (over 80' from the screen to the back row) and many with poor eyesight, we needed something considerably bigger.

Too bad we can't get the convention screens. :ecstatic:  The only draw back, other than cost, is you would have to keep them behind closed doors so not damaged during regular meetings and cleaning. They can be taken apart in 2' squares.

I wonder, are they resizable? :perplexed:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

My congregation wanted to go with a TV setup, but after a test run using a brother's 72" tv it was clear that between the deep auditorium (over 80' from the screen to the back row) and many with poor eyesight, we needed something considerably bigger.

80' auditoirum?  How many publishers do you have?

Too bad we can't get the convention screens. :ecstatic:  The only draw back, other than cost, is you would have to keep them behind closed doors so not damaged during regular meetings and cleaning. They can be taken apart in 2' squares.

I wonder, are they resizable? :perplexed:

Actually, they are 17" squares - and, yes, they can be configured to many sizes and shapes that would work great for  KH. However, they require a computer interface that translates the video signal into the configuration needed for the installed number and position of the individual squares. This interface comes after the converter that changes the streaming Internet signal into a TV signal. Oh, they also require a power supply that costs about $500 (US) and needs to be connected to a 60 Amp 240V supply.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

80' auditoirum?  How many publishers do you have?

It's not an overly large auditorium, just long and skinny (about 14 seats per row, compared to 20+ in most newer halls I've seen), since the original hall was built by a congregation of ~30 in the 1960s, and subsequent additions have been somewhat restricted by adjacent properties

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the projectors we installed the brothers had replacement bulbs already and the new projectors that use led last a long time

Which model of Panasonic have you installed brother? You mean the projectors come with replacement bulb?