JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wine and stuff like that

5 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Rhetorical? Those tours are like Disneyland, if you wish. Usually your average wine comes from a modern factory.

I live next to Napa, I know many brothers that own and operate wineries. 

There are 12 small wineries in the town I live in, two are owned by a brother.

I humbly disagree with your assessment.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Speaking of wineries.

I've known David Becker for years, we were Talk Coordinators at the same time in the early 90's and we'd always help each other out.

Several years ago there was an early rain forecast and he asked me to help a group of friends harvest his grapes before it rained. We almost finished in time..

I went to Pioneer School with his wife in 1995. 

He has been a Pioneer School instructor and I think he has been a sub CO.

Try his wine. It's good.

http://acrewines.com/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 1:48 AM, jayrtom said:

If you want to tast good wine you should definitely try the portuguese. From North to South you find wines that belong to any World's best wines list

The best is that you can find excellent wines even in the low prices categories (3€ to 5€)

Additionally you have a kind of wine that is unique in the world, the "Verde" wine :)

I love the Portuguese wines :) but also some Spanish,French, Italian and from Chile

Sorry off topic ( I NEVER do that) just wanted to comment on your gorgeous photo ... lovely to see your wife as well. Send her our love.

Back to topic ... I'm thinking of burying coconuts full of brown sugar and leaving them there in the new system so if anyone is digging and come across coconuts with big X's on them - keep them they are GOLD. (not wine I know, but definitely comes under the heading 'stuff' ).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Actually Frank has three separate locations.

http://vezerfamilyvineyard.com/wineries/#bluevic

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Rhetorical? Those tours are like Disneyland, if you wish. Usually your average wine comes from a modern factory.

We have MANY boutique like wineries in Victoria and South Australia - I disagree. about statement of modern factory. 

I live near winery region called Yarra Valley. (Eastern part Melbourne has easy access to the area 45min drive.)

imageSrc.adapt_.687.medium-637x386.jpg

Yarra-Valley-Map.jpg

We have MANY boutique like wineries in Victoria and South Australia - I disagree. about statement of modern factory. 

I live near winery region called Yarra Valley. (Eastern part Melbourne has easy access to the area 45min drive.)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Yarra-Valley-Map.jpg

So true! Victoria and SA have the best wine by far in Australia. I purchase regularly from a boutique winery in Glenrowan called Baileys. They make all red wine (bar one sweet white). Lovely cafe there. The Yarra Valley would have to be my favourite, I haven't been there in years. 

7 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Yarra-Valley-Map.jpg

It really doesn’t matter if you disagree or not. Whereas many small wineries do exist, the wines that reaches the average customer is usually quite heavily designed. A buyer can actually tell the factories exactly what he needs, and they will produce it. They buy wine from smaller wineries, and mix it to what they need. But people want to keep their fantasy that most wines are produced at small, cute wineries with few or no additives. It is in the interest of the wine industry. But it’s quite far from reality these days. Here’s a wine blogger who visited one such factory. There are exceptions. No additives are used in natural wines, but in most others, including ecological varieties. They are also usually produced by small wineries.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I live next to Napa, I know many brothers that own and operate wineries. 

I humbly disagree with your assessment.

Yes, they exist, but the regular wine you get at your local store will not come from such places. It also likely has a lot of additives you are not informed of. There are exceptions though, but they are very hard to find and usually quite expensive.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

19 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, they exist, but the regular wine you get at your local store will not come from such places. It also likely has a lot of additives you are not informed of. There are exceptions though, but they are very hard to find and usually quite expensive.

I again humbly disagree with you. The vast majority of wines sold in this area are from local wineries. All of the grocery stores and big box warehouse chains sell local wine. There are small wineries and large wineries but im not familiar with the wine factories you are referring to.

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I again humbly disagree with you. The vast majority of wines sold in this area are from local wineries. All of the grocery stores and big box warehouse chains sell local wine. There are small wineries and large wineries but im not familiar with the wine factories you are referring to.

It’s something we want to imagine, and that’s ok. It’s the same with all food we eat. We want to imagine that the steak came from a small farm where they loved their animals with no additives and decent living conditions. We want to believe that the cheap Italian olive oil came from a small Italian farmer who really cared for his crop, but in the back of our head the thought might pop up that it’s impossible to produce good extra virgin olive oil at that low price in Italy. And that while they are the greatest exporter of said oil, they are also the greatest importer, and that most olive oils come from Spain through Italy. Now, if you live near that small farmer and buy directly from him, chances are you might get oil from his property. If you buy meat directly from the one raising the cattle, maybe your piece of meat, hopefully, comes from the conditions you imagine. But if not, chances are, they do not.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

19 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It’s something we want to imagine, and that’s ok.

Brother, let me know if you ever have a chance to come to California and experience some of the things that I have 'imagined', in the mean time I hope you enjoy your wine!

:wave:

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Brother, let me know if you ever have a chance to come to California and experience some of the things that I have 'imagined', in the mean time I hope you enjoy your wine!

:wave:

Oh, I know you’ve got some really cute wineries there. I’ve seen some in France and Italy as well. They are really quite romantic. But it doesn’t mean that most of the wines people buy come from such places, even though this is what they want to believe, and the wine industry thrives on that as a selling point.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

We have MANY boutique like wineries in Victoria and South Australia

That looks wonderful. That picture looks like our area excepts for the roos!

I was taking the home-schoolers on a walking tour (hiking path that would lead to a historic site). There was a previously abandoned building, but obviously someone was using it presently. The whole place stunk like sour grapes and there were flies everywhere. I asked to speak to the leader of this team, and told the person about  the area we intended to hike, which started behind this building.  He was okay with it. He told us his group was making Manuschevitz type wine (I think) for NYC. I'm not familiar with that type of wine and never will be. The place was filthy, falling apart, broken windows, and I thought the building had been determined condemned some years back.  A lot of the processing was being done outside. People were handling products without gloves on and seemed overdressed for the  weather. This was taking place at the rear corner of a large building that previously housed a number of factories.  One could not see from the street that some kind of business/manufacturing was taking place in this remote area. I guess there are many different ways to produce wine. Who knew?:shrugs:

3 minutes ago, kejedo said:

He told us his group was making Manuschevitz type wine (I think) for NYC. I'm not familiar with that type of wine and never will be.

Manischewitz is a type of kosher wine produced by Constellation Brands. It’s usually very sweet.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Brother Johan, when in Australia please drop in and visit me

I’ll give you tour of Yarra Valley, wine is just excellent! And no factories in sight. 

They call the region “Epicurean region” for a reason LOL 

Is wine popular in Sweden?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 hours ago, Shawnster said:

We only buy wine from local wineries.  No factories involved.  

6 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Brother Johan, when in Australia please drop in and visit me

I’ll give you tour of Yarra Valley, wine is just excellent! And no factories in sight. 

They call the region “Epicurean region” for a reason LOL 

Is wine popular in Sweden?

I know they do exist, but please understand what I’m trying to say. MOST wines that people usually drink do not come from places like that, even though the wine industry would like to keep that illusion. MOST wines come from wine factories. They are tailor made to suite the customer with a variety of legal food additives. They do not have to be listed on the label, which has been a constant discussion for many years. They Swedes are wine drinkers, and also producers of fine beer.

The Pros and Cons of Listing Ingredients on a Wine Label (Eater)

Wine Ingredient Labeling Poses Problems (Wine Spectator)

Wine: To The Glass From The Factory (NPR)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Actually Frank has three separate locations.

http://vezerfamilyvineyard.com/wineries/#bluevic

The Atlas fire in Napa has been slowly creeping into the rural area on the west side of town and the Blue Vic was in the mandatory evacuation area yesterday. Today there was a mandatory evacuation for the area around Franks home and his estate winery.

Frank will usually have a gathering for the MTS, BSSB, BSCC and SKE students whenever there is a class, so if you know someone that has been to one of the classes at the Fairfield Assembly Hall, they probably know Frank & Liz. Frank also let one of the Spanish BSCC classes use the barrel room at the Blue Vic for a graduation party, brother Malenfant was there. We had a great time.

I hope the Blue Vic survives the fire...:(

14 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I know they do exist, but please understand what I’m trying to say. MOST wines that people usually drink do not come from places like that, even though the wine industry would like to keep that illusion. MOST wines come from wine factories. They are tailor made to suite the customer with a variety of legal food additives. They do not have to be listed on the label, which has been a constant discussion for many years. They Swedes are wine drinkers, and also producers of fine beer.

The Pros and Cons of Listing Ingredients on a Wine Label (Eater)

Wine Ingredient Labeling Poses Problems (Wine Spectator)

Wine: To The Glass From The Factory (NPR)

We're yanking your chain a little, brother ;) :lol1: