JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Will You use the JW App to Underline?

Will You use the JW App to Underline?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will You use the JW App to highlight?

• Yes!
    • No, I will continue to use my current method
    • Both - I will use it AND my current method

I was using JW Library at meetings, even without "underline" mode. Now I will keep using it. Bye bye Moon Reader!

I'm looking forwards for the "taking notes" update. It will be necessary for "Meeting workbooks"!

I'm sure that brothers working very hard to solve any issues and bugs. We are appreciate their hard efforts!

I have used .pdf versions of all the publications since I purchased my iPad mini.  I like the look of having the identical copy of the written publication.  I have my Teach book nearly all marked up in the .pdf version, so I'm a little reluctant to switch to the Teach book on JW Library.  However, for other publications and meetings, like the Watchtower Study, it may not be too hard to switch to studying the copy in the JW Library app.  I realized that in the past when having to reference an old magazine, I would never go back and pull a prior magazine for reference -- I would always use the WT CD-ROM to find the reference, so saving my notes and highlighting in the magazines was never an issue.

Does anybody know what information in the JW Library gets backed up to iCloud?  Does the highlighting get backed up?

I have used .pdf versions of all the publications since I purchased my iPad mini.  I like the look of having the identical copy of the written publication.  I have my Teach book nearly all marked up in the .pdf version, so I'm a little reluctant to switch to the Teach book on JW Library. 

Leo, I understand what you mean. When the brother says let's go to page XX in your book, the epub edition is useless. And how many times the brother who was reading The Watchtower or the study book spent an embarrasing time trying to click on a footnote that refused to appear. :uhhuh:

I have tried using PDFs for those same reasons, but highlighting doesn't work correctly with Romanian special characters.

Leo, I understand what you mean. When the brother says let's go to page XX in your book, the epub edition is useless. And how many times the brother who was reading The Watchtower or the study book spent an embarrasing time trying to click on a footnote that refused to appear. :uhhuh:

I have tried using PDFs for those same reasons, but highlighting doesn't work correctly with Romanian special characters.

Today is going to be a good day!  I just found out I'm not the only one that had to borrow the conductors book/magazine to read a foot note because I could not get mine to open on my tablet!  :perplexed:

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

Onde advantage of JW library is that it shows the page number ;)

And I never had any difficulty clicking on a footnote (in fact I have it already clicked when I'm reading the paragraph with the note showing on the right)

Also in the particular case of my language, the ePubs have the linked texts in the Brazilian version. The brothers using moon reader need to switch to other app or use the paper copy... On JW Library I have all the versions displayed at the same time

Today is going to be a good day! I just found out I'm not the only one that had to borrow the conductors book/magazine to read a foot note because I could not get mine to open on my tablet! erplexed:

If you want to use moon reader with no problems with the footnotes, copy the footnote previously and put it in a note on a full word. That way you'll always open it with no problem ;)

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

Yes I will be, always used Moonreader but I'm changing to use the app

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The more I use the highlighting feature in JW Library, the more I'm convinced to switch to JW Library for everything.  I like the fact that I can even highlight my favorite bible verses in the Bible.

A few more considerations...... I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and using the "hard key" at the bottom lets you toggle between two or more open programs.  I would have my magazine/book open in Moon Reader and my Bible open in the JW Library and then I could toggle between the two and always end up back at the same place.  

Also with Moon Reader I set up a folder called "meeting books" so when I opened it, my song book, KM, the current Study Watchtower and my Imitate book were all together.... no searching through a bunch of publications in different places.

Any ideas or short cuts on how to make the JW Library act the same way?  I did figure out yesterday that the "History" button might be usable to switch between two open publications but I haven't really tried it much.

A few more considerations...... I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and using the "hard key" at the bottom lets you toggle between two or more open programs.  I would have my magazine/book open in Moon Reader and my Bible open in the JW Library and then I could toggle between the two and always end up back at the same place.  

Also with Moon Reader I set up a folder called "meeting books" so when I opened it, my song book, KM, the current Study Watchtower and my Imitate book were all together.... no searching through a bunch of publications in different places.

Any ideas or short cuts on how to make the JW Library act the same way?  I did figure out yesterday that the "History" button might be usable to switch between two open publications but I haven't really tried it much.

COMING SOON

• Highlight text in the study pane

• Support for The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures–Study Edition

• Make notes as you study

• A new Meetings section to quickly access current congregation meeting materials.**** NOTE THIS!

© Copyright 2015 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

Am I right to say that JW Library for Apple doesn't have a history feature?  I couldn't find it.

On Android it's a clock that looks like it's pointing to 11:25 on the top right corner.  Right next the where you select your language.

• Highlight text in the study pane

What does that mean?  :huh:

What is the study pane?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Valid point! I can't seem to figure out how to edit the poll to add that option but if one of the admins can, please do!

Sorry, I missed this earlier DONE! and I deleted my vote and switched it to BOTH!

Good idea  :wave: 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Am I right to say that JW Library for Apple doesn't have a history feature?  I couldn't find it.

Hold your finger down on Bible or Publications at the bottom of the screen.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Does anybody know what information in the JW Library gets backed up to iCloud?  Does the highlighting get backed up?

I highlighted a few sentences in Genesis and the next day the iCloud backup for JWLibrary had enlarged by 1Kb.

I don't have a second iDevice to see if the highlights are synced across. The other option is to backup and then restore from it to see what happens but I have too much to lose trying that.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

It's the right panel where it shows the bible translations, quoted publications, etc... You can't highlight there yet... And if you highlighted in the original pub (for example the bible) , it doesn't show up in the pane

If you use the KM, you can highlight in the main text, but when you select the "Imitate" book (for example), it appears in the 'study' pane and you can't highlight the week's lesson.  You would have to go to publications and select the book itself to study.  I am going to wait another little bit to see when the additional highlight features are offered.  I may practice on the Watchtower study article.

One nice feature is the ability to click on the song number and get the lyrics (text) but then click on the heading "SN Song 23" and have it load the entire 'lead sheet' like the songbook page.  This is nice.

Edited by jwhess

If you use the KM, you can highlight in the main text, but when you select the "Imitate" book (for example), it appears in the 'study' pane and you can't highlight the week's lesson.  You would have to go to publications and select the book itself to study.  I am going to wait another little bit to see when the additional highlight features are offered.  I may practice on the Watchtower study article.

After an article (ex: this weeks part in the Yearbook) is in the study pane, you can tap the title and it will open in the left side, then you can highlight and it is saved in the publication. Works with the CBS also, just like the Songbook.