JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Brexit Ramifications

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2743 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

17 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Already? Stay tuned for anarchy?

Brexit remorse? UK lawmaker calls for Parliament to ignore EU referendum as millions call for second vote

This online petition is a big joke. All you have to do is tick a box and claim to be a UK resident and enter any random UK postcode. There's not even a CAPTCHA that checks if you're a bot or a human. They say tens of thousands of votes came from one IP in North Korea, alone.

Not saying that there is no support behind this petition at all, just saying you can scratch that "millions" number, it is manipulated.

But it does show how silly democracy can be. When an election doesn't end up in the desired outcome, just keep demanding a new election until it turns out the way you want it to. The same thing is going on in Austria at the moment, where the far-right recently lost to the greens with an extremely narrow margin. It's so childish, it's actually entertaining to watch.

14 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

. It's so childish, it's actually entertaining to watch.

And that's my view on all this. At times Denise will question why I watch news programs about politics and other circus acts.

(I would much prefer MotoGP, we can't get that either)

We don't have live TV, we have a Roku and I will check out some stuff on occasion if something catches my eye.

It just cracks me up, the absurdity of some people and the stands they will take over the most foolish of things.

I laugh....

I think it's pretty sad that so many people are unhappy. Theocracy rules!

#literally

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Does Great Britain have someone to write a Declaration of Independence?

I don't think Thomas Jefferson is available. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Does Great Britain have someone to write a Declaration of Independence?

I don't think Thomas Jefferson is available. 

With all the recorded wit from Chamberlain, Churchill,  Thatcher and Blair,  I am sure they can 'copypasta' just about anything,  to say anything,  for just about anybody or anything. ..

There, that oughta be vague enough. ..

On 6/25/2016 at 6:36 AM, Tortuga said:

Are these the faces of the two horned beast? :popcorn:

johnson_trump-620x412.jpg

Small horn. :wink:

Big mouth - speaking grandiose things. :lol1:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The UK leaving the UE may have some prophetic significance... or more likely it will not.

The media makes it seems as Brexit has unleashed the end of the world, but Europe has existed for many centuries without an EU and the EU has existed for many years without the UK, and there are many countries in Europe that are no EU members and life goes on, surprisingly it seems.

Right now stock markets are reflecting the fear and insecurity companies feel, but in a few months the markets will be stable again and everything will go on the same. More paperwork to make business with the UK, more paperwork to obtain a visa, and that's all.

Every time there's a significant political event some start saying it's the end, but so far they haven't been right. :whistling:

I agree to some degree that the Brexit reflects the growing fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy about the image's feet of clay and iron. Goverments are more and more departed from reality and people are growingly disappointed and more willing to protest. The real factor behind the Brexit referendum is immigration control.

The EU accepted Eastern European countries as a strategy to reduce immigration from those countries. The EU would invest in improving the life conditions in those countries so that their citizens would not need to emigrate. But it backfired. Most of the EU investment was stolen by corrupt leaders, life conditions haven't improved much, and millions of Poles, Hungarians, Romanians and so on are emigrating to Western Europe since there is no legal way to stop them.

Many in Europe feel that the whole of the EU is marching to Germany's beat, and Britons particularly dislike that due to their centuries-long rivalry with Germany. Last year Angela Merkel opened Germany's doors to nearly one million so called refugees from the Middle East while the rest of Europe looked in disbelief and disapproval. Now she's trying to dump a number of them on every member country. So when Britons voted no to the EU, they weren't thinking of free commerce or of traveling all around Europe with just an ID card. They were voting no to more immigration. (Literally, many who voted no couldn't explain what the EU is or in what way it works, they were just told to vote no if you don't want more immigrants).

If the media paint such an alarmist picture that's because the same feeling exists in most European countries, so they're trying to discourage more referenda and more countries leaving the EU.

Ultimately, the only thing this demonstrates is that man is unable to govern man, and that all human efforts easily fail.

Edited by carlos

6 hours ago, carlos said:

The media makes it seems as Brexit has unleashed the end of the world, but Europe has existed for many centuries without an EU and the EU has existed for many years without the UK, and there are many countries in Europe that are no EU members and life goes on, surprisingly it seems.

Unfortunately, it won't be as simple as that.  Now that the UK has voted to leave the EU, trade treaties will take years to negotiate and take effect.  For a country that has been a part of a simplified trade process with all EU countries, that will immensely impact on their economy.  Canada, for example, has been waiting 7 years for a trade treaty with the EU to be negotiated.  UK, who still have to formally leave, then they have up to 2 years to negotiate how to leave, will then have to negotiate with the EU bloc in a much more time consuming way.  Who has the time to hang out that long?  The challenge will be immense, so I don't think it will be 'life just going on' for a lot of the UK residents.

"First you exit then you negotiate" the EU Trade Commissioner said today.

6 hours ago, carlos said:

The real factor behind the Brexit referendum is immigration control.

And yet yesterday the EU heads of government, meeting without a British representative for the first time in 40 years, said in a statement that Britain would be treated as a "third country" with both "rights and obligations".  Continued access for to the huge EU single market of 500 million people "requires acceptance of all four freedoms, including freedom of movement," EU president Donald Tusk told a news conference.

They are still going to have to accept immigrants to win access to EU markets.  Oh, the irony!  No way do they have a clue how to govern.  It's so clear that human governments have had their day.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/06/30/no-single-market-la-carte-uk-tusk?cx_cid=newsdaily-edm-2016

27 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

They are still going to have to accept immigrants to win access to EU markets.  Oh, the irony!  No way do they have a clue how to govern.  It's so clear that human governments have had their day.

Well, actually what happened is that UK representatives were trying to keep a privileged relationship with the UE, with free movement of goods but not of people. So the UE replied you can't have one if you don't allow the other. It's either all or nothing.

5 hours ago, carlos said:

Well, actually what happened is that UK representatives were trying to keep a privileged relationship with the UE, with free movement of goods but not of people. So the UE replied you can't have one if you don't allow the other. It's either all or nothing.

Yet at the end of the day, I think Britain will come out the "winner" of this whole thing. Somehow, I can't imagine the European Union and Germany having actual control over the political situation and strongarm Britain. I still think Britain is an Empire, and Germany has  been the lapdog of the Anglo-American Empire since 1945. If Germany wants out of this situation, they would have to cut ties to America and build up new ties to Russia. That would draw the EU towards the King of the North. Just my 5 cents though

16 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Yet at the end of the day, I think Britain will come out the "winner" of this whole thing. Somehow, I can't imagine the European Union and Germany having actual control over the political situation and strongarm Britain. I still think Britain is an Empire, and Germany has  been the lapdog of the Anglo-American Empire since 1945. If Germany wants out of this situation, they would have to cut ties to America and build up new ties to Russia. That would draw the EU towards the King of the North. Just my 5 cents though

Winner ?  Global market system needs access to global markets to survive, UK exiting EU becomes an "individual player" and this in turn effects how businesses operate in UK. For example Poland and UK produce "torches"

Poland has semi automatic access to sell the goods within EU markets, UK has to straggle for it.

Within EU markets EU members operate much easier, taxes, red tape ...etc ...etc ...etc ...

Winner ? I am not sure about it.

If I had big business to run I would prefer to run it under EU.

Interesting quote below:

British billionaire businessman Richard Branson warned that leaving the European Union would be "the worst decision the British public ever made". The Virgin Group founder made the comments at the launch of the company's new train in London.

"The damage it will do to this country, the people who live in this country, will be enormous. So, I really do believe that in the end, sense will prevail," said Branson.

Branson, who is an avid supporter of the trade bloc, urged Britain to vote to remain in the EU in the 23 June referendum.

"Why create these barriers? Why create all this extra bureaucracy that's going to go into the nightmare of extra taxes, extra overheads... unnecessary. We've got a great market, let's make the best of it," he said.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

And now an interesting question: since UK wants to leave EU, and since English is the official language of the EU, which will be the new "official language" of the European Union?

German?

French?

9 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Ruben,

Just a brief accolade...I truly enjoy your laser focused,  critical thinking skills....I always pull out a nugget of 

knowledge when I read your post.

Edited by nanceebgd46

punctuation

12 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Winner ?  Global market system needs access to global markets to survive, UK exiting EU becomes an "individual player" and this in turn effects how businesses operate in UK. For example Poland and UK produce "torches"

Poland has semi automatic access to sell the goods within EU markets, UK has to straggle for it.

Within EU markets EU members operate much easier, taxes, red tape ...etc ...etc ...etc ...

Winner ? I am not sure about it.

If I had big business to run I would prefer to run it under EU.

If success on global markets had anything to do with being in a free trade zone like the EU, then Switzerland would also be having massive difficulty and yet they thrive. True, Switzerland has somewhat of an industry and a functioning high-street-type economy.  But a large part of it's wealth comes from it being a tax haven. Britain is also a huge tax haven, most people just don't know this but all the channel islands are filthy rich because of it (Isle of Man, Jersey, Guirnsey).

I don't think the REAL British Economy will benefit from the Brexit, but I can imagine that they will find a way to benefit in the banking and finance sector. Which seems to be all that modern day "empires" are really good at.

9 hours ago, JABA said:

And now an interesting question: since UK wants to leave EU, and since English is the official language of the EU, which will be the new "official language" of the European Union?

German?

French?

There is actually a discussion going on about precisely this question.

All the news here (well, all I listen to is NPR...) is nothing but doom and gloom, how this is the worst mistake UK could ever make, even though it was a majority most don't want to leave, etc... 

Somebody thought it was a good idea.  Enough people thought it was a good idea and in the UK's best interests for it to even be put to vote.  The fact that the EU is worried other countries may follow indicates that some in these other countries might likewise think it's a good thing to leave.

In fairness, I'd like to hear their side of the story.  

Being selfish, one good thing is that the decision for an extra runway at Gatwick or Heathrow has been put off again. We would get noise pollution from another runway to the south of Gatwick. Looks like nobody wants to decide.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13