JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Computer is toast

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I'm posting this using my phone which I never do because it's too hard to figure it out.

I'm hoping to get advice from you computer guru's, my computer is dead in the water and I have to find a new one, I need a laptop. My computer guy tells me that Dell computer is the way to go, it has one terabyte and will suit my needs but by the time it's all said and done with buying Malwarebytes program registering to put my stuff on the cloud I'm looking at $920 yikes. And that's not even buying the word program software either, I am looking for anybody who may have a better suggestion. I was contemplating Chromebook 15 inch but I truly don't believe it is going to have the durability of a laptop. 

Usage will just be for home use and keeping invoices on and such playing a game now and again and cruising Facebook and email. I don't have QuickBooks program or anything like that, I'll leave that to the bookkeeper hahaha.  so please any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I would check your local Costco, They sell many name brands including Dells and they start at around $500. You can play with them and see which one you like,. Many come with MS Office so that you have "Word, Excel, etc" and if they don't, you can purchase a "student edition" which is fully functional for around $70.

As far as Malware programs go, there are many good and reliable free ones available. And you can also get free cloud storage and increase the size as you need it for a nominal fee. 

Edited by Musky

Yeah we were talking about Costco last night doing some checking around making sure we get the best value for a dollar. And Costco has such good policies if you have a problem with it that's a big plus too. I just wish I knew more about the newer computers and the jargon or the computer speak that I need for getting into the appropriate computer. It is a rather big expense and I want to make sure I get enough of a machine without going overboard.

Musky what do you know about Malwarebytes the full program? Because that's the one that my computer guy wants to put on and I believe it's like $120 or some such.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Hmph, irritating. Looks like I'm just going to do this on my own. 

A bit insecure about the cloud thing. I have an external hard drive that I use for backup. Wouldn't that be sufficient?

7 minutes ago, shali said:

Did you want to put the Watchtower Library DVD on it?  If so, I don't think a notebook computer will have a dvd drive.  Always nice to have that drive.

Many laptops still have DVD drives, not all of them, but a lot. If you don't get a DVD drive with the laptop, you can easily install programs via a flash drive or a portable DVD rom drive. 

5 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Hmph, irritating. Looks like I'm just going to do this on my own. 

A bit insecure about the cloud thing. I have an external hard drive that I use for backup. Wouldn't that be sufficient?

Yes, use the external drive to back up your data. In a crash, the programs can always be reinstalled, but your data is what you need to backup. 

Edited by Musky

2 minutes ago, Musky said:

Many laptops still have DVD drives, not all of them, but a lot. If you don't get a DVD drive with the laptop, you can r=easily install programs via a flash drive or a portable DVD rom drive. 

I thought she was referring to one of those tiny notebook type computers in her original post (Chrome), not a laptop.  To me a laptop and a notebook computer are two different things.  I consider a laptop being able to do pretty much anything but a notebook is limited and doesn't have a DVD drive.  Guess I should do a little more research and get my facts straight!!!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

minimums you want:
8GB memory---- if you will be using battery uncorded a lot then make sure you get DDR4;  speed on ddr4 is really not to big an issue to sweat over.(unless you go with AMD APU then you would want 2100 or faster)

Intel vs AMD CPU's...  AMD APU if you have a budget(A8-A10-A12).    Intel skylake I5 gen 7- atleast if you want a decent one to last for awhile.

Your pretty much stuck with windows 10 now.....

Anti virus i prefer Norton..... but there's free options; and other companies.

malwarebytes is fine using the free version.  It use to be a one time fee of 15 dollars to get the pro version.  If you other computer has it you can call them to get it tranfered to the new one probly.

Define dead in the water?  can you boot it up?  running a program called "Belarc" can scan all your program licenses to be able to transfer the paid versions---- just need to download installing media.

Costco is good if they have a model that suits your needs.   Overstock.com has some stuff from time to time thats fine if you can use older stuff... us to be a good way to get Win 7 licenses if you don't want Win10...

Hi Sister Cheryl,

Here are a couple of ideas I had: If you are able to hold off from buying a computer for 3-4 weeks then I would definitely wait because there will be many good deals on computers around the end of this month around the "Black Friday" time and then on "Cyber Monday" afterwards. So if there was any good time for your computer to die, this was a good time! Right before the best deals of the year come out! :D

And as far as which brand to buy, like Dell, my advice is to not stick to a certain brand.  For example, Dell might have some of the best rated expensive computers in the $1000-1500 range, but their lower end models might be poor quality. Whereas another brand like "HP" might have good quality in their lower end models but their expensive models don't rate well compared to other high end models from other brands.

So my other idea is this, rather than focusing in on only 1 brand or rather than researching all of the different brands, wait until the big deals start coming out in 3-4 weeks. Then when you see a "good deal" you like,  then type that model into "Amazon" to see what its overall rating is by 100s of people who purchased it. And then next, read specifically the "Most Recent" reviews on Amazon and you will find out details about that model that will help you determine whether you like it or not. For example, you may find a good deal on a Dell Laptop for $400 and it has pretty good ratings, but when you go read the "Most Recent" reviews, there are quite a lot of complaints about the quality of the screen. So if this would bother you, then you pass on that deal. But if you read the reviews on another "good deal" and this model has a very good rating and there doesn't seem to be any issues that would bother you, then maybe you have found your new computer! :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Yes, many people don't realize that they can connect their laptop to just about anything to use it as a monitor if your screen isn't working right.  Richard, if your screen hurts your eyes - have you tried downloading a bluefilter app for it or going into the BIOS to see if there is a different setting for it? Sometimes, just filtering out the blue light makes a world of difference!

1 hour ago, shali said:

I thought she was referring to one of those tiny notebook type computers in her original post (Chrome), not a laptop.  To me a laptop and a notebook computer are two different things.  I consider a laptop being able to do pretty much anything but a notebook is limited and doesn't have a DVD drive.  Guess I should do a little more research and get my facts straight!!!

You weren't wrong at all. I did refer to a Chromebook, but like you mentioned I'd need to have WTL loaded, but Musky said there are other ways to do it too so....Oh dear, I'm almost overwhelmed. 

Neil you had a great thought too, but do computers go on big discounts at the 'season' like other things do? I'm borrowing a brother's laptop today to do my invoicing but I think I can wait another 3 weeks or so before I buy.

Vern, it's dead dead. As I was loading some things on my thumb drive the motherboard was acting up, Matthew, my tech, was nervous. Said he needed to pull the....so he can download my .....keep it from crashing.....yep, done kaput. I was very happy it lasted as long as it did. I think the word dinosaur was mentioned:lol:  

Cheryl, perhaps you'd really like to get a great deal you should go over to TigerDirect or New Egg.  (Those are the two that come off the top of my head) They both sell refurbished AND recertified computers for a good deal.  Recertified means it's been sent back to the manufacturer, the problem with it was determined and fixed and it's recertified as new again(and they come with a limited warranty I believe).  Refurbished means it was fixed - warranty is even more limited.  Got my brother a fantastic computer with two hard drives running Windows 7 on DailySteals for less than 400.00 that he loves.  Just jot down the model number of what you're looking at and check the net for reviews. 

I think the major discounts on computers and stuff come when college students go back to school.

My wife has a Lenovo she likes quite a bit. Hers is one that is a laptop but can open up to be used as a tablet (17" screen).

No DVD drive but a USB-DVD drive is very affordable these days.

I have been using a 1 TB USB drive for several years as my backup. Works great.

To me - Norton (and many other name brand) is too "bloated". We have been able to d/l some of the major brands for free from out Internet provider (they change which brand from time-to-time), When I switched to Windows built in one, I got better protection, performance and it takes less room on the drive and in memory.

I augment my protection by using the free version of Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Spybot.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

did your harddrive crash?  did your motherboard fry?  was it the CPU?  were you on a desk top or a laptop?  if your CPu fried then you can get a new CPU and boot up just fine.   have to ask what fried it though.. to much heat cause a fan stopped working;  or your power supply was a bad quality power supply and it fried your stuff up;  or you didn't clean the dust out.

can your hard drive be read by another computer?  can you get a new power supply and get it to work?

if its a laptop its little different to work on. usually you have to replace the motherboard along with the CPu as they are soldiered together now adays.  depends though.

If budget is not an issue and you want new and for it to last.

12 GB memory DDR4

Intel I5 or I7 skylake CPU

250GB SSD samsung evo 850 or better

1TB secondary drive

17 Inch screen

If its a good quality company it will run around a 1000 bucks.   :ph34r:

If you want a computer that will last longer and be able to be worked on then you want a business machine.  They are built to last and to be worked on.  and you can find them used for a cheap deal.

Hi friends

I have a question for you computer wizards.  My pc is being repaired by a  friend.  He said the problem was caused by Windows 10 current update in October.  He said that when it uploaded, it destroyed my Microsoft Windows.  My pc works, but when I tried to open it, the monitor (was on) was dark and the message that pop up said that Microsoft Windows no longer available.  Has this happen to anyone in here?    Am really not liking Windows 10.   

Thank you

usually the reason updates breaks windows is if during it installing when either you try to shut it down or boot it up it gets turned off in the middle of the install..  it has a chance to break your windows install completely.

You have to test the hard drive first....  usually use "crystal disk info"  or some other hard drive program like "Hard disk sentinel" ; on another computer test it like a secondary drive and use a sata cable or a USB 3.0 if possible and scan it.  see if your hard drive is still working fine.

Once you establish that then ya you have to think your windows install.. but you could check your memory aswell;  if your memory is bad it will chew up your data and at some point breaks your boot up sector.

are you running a desktop?  or a laptop?  Is it a decent computer in that maby you could invest in some hardware?  like a better power supply for longer life?  or an SSD for feeling like it runs faster.  which it usually is nice to not have to wait aslong for boot ups.  You want bronze or better certified power supplies.  If you run a stock power supply they sometimes down the line can ruin other components.

not much to really say without specs of what your running.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-is-killing-my-pc/5888f6cb-396d-4170-bc19-acb7bec30de2

if you can do anything on your own?   this link has some things....  if not you'll get an idea what your friend will probly be doing.

If its a software issue then its possible you might have a restore point to back install your computer to do.

But the best thing to do after verifying your hardware is ok is to do a complete fresh install.  If you have data on the other hard drive  just get a new hard drive and keep the old one for data to tranfer... to me that's the easiest thing to do.

8 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Hi friends

I have a question for you computer wizards.  My pc is being repaired by a  friend.  He said the problem was caused by Windows 10 current update in October.  He said that when it uploaded, it destroyed my Microsoft Windows.  My pc works, but when I tried to open it, the monitor (was on) was dark and the message that pop up said that Microsoft Windows no longer available.  Has this happen to anyone in here?    Am really not liking Windows 10.   

Thank you

Scary stuff! Can't wait for the day when our computers will either be non existent or perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's my first post on my new computer. I went with a Dell I5, has 1 TB and ...la, la, la. So much for my knowledge of computers. I went to Costco and was so overwhelmed, went on Amazon and it was the same thing. So I talked to my computer guy again and told him of my adventures, he knows what I do on my machine and could give me what I needed without all the added junk I didn't need. I'm a very basic person, I have a bookkeeper for the complicated stuff and just need a good word processor for invoicing.

This machine has a lighted keyboard too, which is very nice because when Lew goes to bed and I'm sitting here looking at JWT at the table with all the lights off except my one little lamp, I can comment or 'like' without turning on other lights to see what I'm doing.    

I'm still figuring out how to get my printer hooked up without a USB, "follow the prompts it says....umm ok", I was too rushed tonight so I couldn't complete it, will do it tomorrow.

Overall I have to say this Dell is simple, easy and great for me, added features that work great for me. Oh, they installed LibreOffice as my Word program, looking forward to using it, seeing if it works with the invoices I have already created or if I have to make them all over again, (what a pain).

Thanks for all the input from you friends, I used it to make the best decision I could.