JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Law and Order SVU

Did anyone watch last nights episode? Once again, the writers promoted Satanic propaganda, designed to make those who adhere to God's law on the practice of homosexuality look like religious fanatics and those who have homosexual tendencies as helpless to resist or combat those wrong desires.

It did it in such a way that made all those who reject homosexual practices as totally unbalanced and ignorant of the facts, and therefore portrayed the Bible and God's law as ridiculous and invalid in this enlightened age.

By that I mean, the pastor they prosecuted, twisted God's word, went beyond what is written and was teaching his own doctrines related to homosexuality. To the educated masses, who are mainly Bible illiterate and cynical of religion in general, it was another example of how the Bible has been used to oppress, control and manipulate the naive and vulnerable who are either homosexual or homophobic.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

By that I mean, the pastor they prosecuted, twisted God's word, went beyond what is written and was teaching his own doctrines related to homosexuality. To the educated masses, who are mainly Bible illiterate and cynical of religion in general, it was another example of how the Bible has been used to oppress, control and manipulate the naive and vulnerable who are either homosexual or homophobic.

Don't you expect them to do that? They take the pastors they know, and their arguments, sometimes they don't even have to twist it it for drama. The intention is not to produce accurate information about the Bible, but to make a piece of drama based on people's weird interpretations of it.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Don't you expect them to do that? They take the pastors they know, and their arguments, sometimes they don't even have to twist it it for drama. The intention is not to produce accurate information about the Bible, but to make a piece of drama based on people's weird interpretations of it.

Johan

Exactly. It's called propaganda, and it works.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

37 minutes ago, minister159 said:

Exactly. It's called propaganda, and it works.

Same thing on"Madam Secretary".  One of the main caractures comes out that he is Bi. Another show off our watch list.

Anyone have a current series that just plays it straight?

Right now the only program that we watch that isn't blatant is "Call the Midwife", Tried some of the British mystery shows like "Midsomer Murders" ans couple of others, but I don't like to fall asleep in front of the TV, boring.  Used to watch "New Tricks", it is gone. Our Favorite was "A Touch of Frost".

We have beenn reduced to watching "TheDeadliest Catch" and "Chopped".

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 minutes ago, Old said:

We have beenn reduced to watching "TheDeadliest Catch" and cooking shows.

If you can get YouTube check out some of the educational channels. One of my favorites is 'Smarter Every Day '..Dustin does some cool stuff,  and he knows some neat people.

Do you ever wonder why a cat always lands on its feet, or why balloons in a vehicle act the way they do?. Maybe a spud gun made out of clear tubing, powered by hair spray, filmed at night,  in slo-mo..?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

On another note, there's a new series called, 'The Good Doctor', a medical doctor afflicted with autism but savant.. also 'Designated Survivor' Keifer Sutherland; 'Dr. Pol', a reality series about a vet, and 'Mash' as well as 'All in the Family'.. old but still good.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 7:54 PM, Dove said:

On another note, there's a new series called, 'The Good Doctor', a medical doctor afflicted with autism but savant..

I am enjoying this show too, as well as ‘This Is Us’ which leaves me sobbing like a baby every episode!

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love Law & Order, especially SVU! 

I know they've rehearsed a thousand times over, yet they're so good it looks like they just go on the set and do their thing they're so natural.

Oh and as far as they saying that the episodes are not real is not true.This is not saying they're lying, but I've seen plenty of episodes that has happened in "real life" as in was covered by the tabloid. I'm almost sure they're saying that to protect themselves from a possible lawsuit. 

Stopped watching SVU....

It was always talking about Rape or homosexuality and the murders was beginning to be to much.....I loved svu...

But...the content was inappropriate...so I cut it off went cold turkey...

Not something a witness should watch..

Looking back now the Show is DISGUSTING...

24 minutes ago, Shannie said:

Not something a witness should watch..

Hmmmm. I recall hearing things about free will and personal conscience and not imposing our conscience on others. ..

27 minutes ago, Shannie said:

Looking back now the Show is DISGUSTING..

Again,  this is your own personal opinion. 

To be clear,  I do not watch this program,  I am not familiar with it at all.  I don't watch much TV at all. 

I have enough strife in my life without choosing to add more. ..

But, that's just me. ..

Well, I hope I don’t step on any toes, but I’m so glad I never owned a TV.

TV was too much of a temptation for me when I was younger and I used to waste entire evenings watching whatever was on. I just didn’t have the discipline to manage my time effectively (or stop flipping channels!). I loved good drama shows with serious acting and a superb script. I remember “The Practice,” a series that would take controversial topics of the day and present both sides in a court drama.

So, when I was on my own, it was a easy thing to not bother buying a TV. The first few months were difficult. But, being someone who loved tinkering with electronics and computers, there were plenty of other things for me to entertain myself with. I know not everyone has interests that they can spend time doing in lieu of TV or internet-provided shows. Please don’t think I have this holier-than-thou feeling about myself. I’ve wasted lots of time pursuing interests other than entertainment. Achieving the right balance has been hard, but gets easier with time.

I haven’t had a TV in over 30 years now and don’t miss it at all. My 85-year-old pioneer mother hasn’t had one in about 15 years, even though she absolutely loves old movie classics. She used to subscribe to Turner Classic Movies or American Movie Classics, but it got too expensive to get those channels. Now, she watches the old movies and English detective shows on her iPad via YouTube. There’s something about being able to suspend reality and be completely absorbed in an entertaining story. I love that, too. But, it’s so hard to do that at a completely comfortable level.

You know that feeling you get when you leave the annual convention all spiritually upbuilt, and anything even slightly worldly is repulsive? Well, that’s the feeling my mother and I now have when we’re at a motel for the convention and there’s a TV! We used to think, “Oh, a TV! Let’s see what’s on!” Not anymore. The last few years, we didn’t even have the desire to turn it on. That was a breakthrough! When we visited my sister, who is reinstated, but had been out of the truth for 30 years, she always had the TV on all day. Just seeing the commercials that are on can be shocking to some of us who don’t watch regularly. The subtle worldly traits and innuendo can be so alarming. With today’s programming and moral standards, you spend a lot of time grimacing in uncomfortable moments, wondering if you should fast-forward (if able), turn away, or hang on, hoping it’ll get better. 

Lots of things have changed in the past 35 years. The moral standards in the entertainment world have plummeted and the standards among Jehovah’s people continue to climb. Thirty-five years ago we had elders in the congregation that would share laughs about a SNL episode at the Sunday meeting. Boy ol’ Boy. I thought that was inappropriate then. How do you think we feel now? Ouch. Jehovah is slowly refining us.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

Hmmmm. I recall hearing things about free will and personal conscience and not imposing our conscience on others. ..

Yes, it's in our Forum Membership Policy (which is always worth rereading), as well as in a Sunday Watchtower lesson about every 2-3 weeks :P

Might have to dust off the ole warning point system if ya'll gonna be judgemental and righteous over much. :gun-toot:

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

27 minutes ago, digital_dreamer said:

Just seeing the commercials that are on can be shocking to some of us who don’t watch regularly. The subtle worldly traits and innuendo can be so alarming. With today’s programming and moral standards, you spend a lot of time grimacing in uncomfortable moments, wondering if you should fast-forward (if able), turn away, or hang on, hoping it’ll get better. 

I think that was just his experience of not having a tv anymore.  I didn't take it as a 'holier than thou' attitude.  Whether we have a tv or not, we all have to watch our entertainment, since it's just becoming a cesspool out there in the world, and we have to watch we don't fall in.

2 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Yes, it's in our Forum Membership Policy (which is always worth rereading), as well as in a Sunday Watchtower lesson about every 2-3 weeks :P

Might have to dust off the ole warning point system if ya'll gonna be judgemental and righteous over much. :gun-toot:

Sorry! :zipmouth:

I thought I’d just share my experience, for what it is worth. :peace:

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

I personally think Internet is more dangerous than TV 

Like Lucy said we just have to be VERY aware of our entertainment and make covenant with our eyes like Job 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 minutes ago, digital_dreamer said:

Sorry! :zipmouth:

I thought I’d just share my experience, for what it is worth. :peace:

You're good. A comment that starts with "I hope I don't step on any toes" and is followed by several paragraphs of good explanation and experience is just fine. You didn't stomp your feet and declare "Not something a witness would watch" ;)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

Again,  this is your own personal opinion. 

To be clear,  I do not watch this program,  I am not familiar with it at all.  I don't watch much TV at all. 

I have enough strife in my life without choosing to add more. ..

But, that's just me. 

Edited by Shannie

• 11 months later...
On another note, there's a new series called, 'The Good Doctor', a medical doctor afflicted with autism but savant.. also 'Designated Survivor' Keifer Sutherland; 'Dr. Pol', a reality series about a vet, and 'Mash' as well as 'All in the Family'.. old but still good.

I do like the Good Doctor. he plays the part well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I 

You en out of the truth for 30 years, she always had the TV on all day. Just seeing the commercials that

With today’s programming and moral standards, you spend a lot of time grimacing in uncomfortable moments, wondering if you should fast-forward (if able), turn away, or hang on, hoping it’ll get better. 

Lots of things have changed in the past 35 years. The moral standards in the entertainment world have plummeted and the standards among Jehovah’s people continue to climb. Thirty-five years ago we had elders in the congregation that would share laughs about a SNL episode at the Sunday meeting. Boy ol’ Boy. I thought that was inappropriate then. How do you think we feel now? Ouch. Jehovah is slowly refining us.

I am one of these rare people that like watching commercials....especially the humorous and clever ones. We used to love the one Alka Seltzer made

Sadly, all shows are gonna have something we don't like (unless it's on JW.org of course ^_^) Because it's people who are influenced by Satan that makes them, and they will put something in there, subtle or in your face. 🤣

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

5 hours ago, Adrianne said:

I am one of these rare people that like watching commercials....especially the humorous and clever ones. We used to love the one Alka Seltzer made

...and the Volkswagen...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..