JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

I got my old Favorites section back a few days ago.  Every time I open my JW Library app it downloads a new catalog.

Doesn't show any pending updates or new downloads though, so not sure what's in the new catalog that gets downloaded.  :D

Screenshot_20191123_111237.thumb.jpg.8e5b6816563ecf84f568eb65674ce3f8.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I got my old Favorites section back a few days ago.  Every time I open my JW Library app it downloads a new catalog.
Doesn't show any pending updates or new downloads though, so not sure what's in the new catalog that gets downloaded.  
Screenshot_20191123_111237.thumb.jpg.8e5b6816563ecf84f568eb65674ce3f8.jpg

It downloads a new catalogue, compares it to the publications downloaded, and lists new downloads or updates, if there are any. There are not publication updates or new publications with every catalogue update. It checked this before, only it didn’t spell it out.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It downloads a new catalogue, compares it to the publications downloaded, and lists new downloads or updates, if there are any. There are not publication updates or new publications with every catalogue update. It checked this before, only it didn’t spell it out.

I like the way that it notifies you what it is doing now.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Bro Richard said:

I like the way that it notifies you what it is doing now.

Yes.   I like that, too.  It spent a bout a minute downloading the new catalog onto my Samsung Galaxy tablet.  Went through entire library and there was absolutely nothing VISIBLY `new`.

My phone`s Favorites section was restored to normal but the tablet's Favorites section still contains immovable objects that I do not consider favorites.

Screenshot_20191123_113222.jpg.cc6a26b6e7a5912160d5b0af1ca535aa.jpg

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Seems like we all get the similar issue on  mainly Samsung Android. I have no problem on my iPad. And it is the same two items in my favorite section, duplicated and with no option to remove. That is the convention On my note 8 it is the convention traler, on my Galaxy S2, it is the Social Network whiteboard??? I also get disappearing and reappearing headphone icons, along with the audio facility for publications on both platforms.

Ah well, at least it isn't me! Some bug. It will likely soon be resolved. 😊

On 11/2/2019 at 10:08 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Take heart. :D  My JWLibrary app crashed repeatedly while I was downloading all that material and

each time it popped right back open when I hit the open back up thingy. :D 

Should probably have reported the crashes, but I figure it was just a few glitches that needed to be ironed out

since the downloads have been made available.

I am soooooooooooooo glad I don't have to download via data.  My plan with Verizon only alows for 2GB data per month. :( 

I have my NoRootFirewall set to only allow downloading via wi-fi, so I never use any of that 2GB of data.  But Verizon makes me

purchase it every month anyway.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.

How do you open the 'back up' thing? is it possible on adroid? Mine also kept crashing and I had to uninstall the JW library and start downloading all over again!

As for your eyes, straight ahead they should look, yes, your own beaming eyes should gaze straight in front of you - Prov. 4:25

11 minutes ago, Maris said:

How do you open the 'back up' thing? is it possible on adroid? Mine also kept crashing and I had to uninstall the JW library and start downloading all over again!

The 'open back up' thingy is clicking/tapping 2x on the app icon. :D   The back up thing is the cloud, where we download

all the material we want to have right on our device.   I am a techno dweeb, so please pardon my in-articulation of tech terms.

Everything is a 'thingy' to me.  :D 

I noticed that the pressing of the "refresh" circle at the top right side of the app menu bar gives a message now (updating catalog or catalog is up to dated) or something like that.

So the "catalog updating" message at the bottom of the screen seems to be tied to an "automatic" refresh every time I open the app.

Yes,  I  opened my JWL app yesterday  I got the updating catalog message. I checked the  catalog date before the update was finished and again after it completed and reported the new catalog was "installed". The catalog was updated with a Nov. 23 date.

image.png.8d86c51ce4acdabaf9935d3be2588e11.png

Today, when I opened the app I got another message about updating. When it was complete and installed I checked the updated info and got

image.png.f996a51012f8798da7694a4a1ecc2b2d.png

So, it seems this "update" is a feature it does each time the app is launched or refreshed ... even if there is not a new catalog.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It  did update the catalog the first time ... but, it appears that, instead of checking the installed catalog date, it just installs the catalog on each launch.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It is new feature maybe in future will mean something and have purpose.

It does mean something already. This catalogue is a list of publications possible to install. It downloads and installs a new catalogue, checks it against what you have downloaded and lists any new publication downloads, if there are any. There’s no need to overthink it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

22 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It does mean something already. This catalogue is a list of publications possible to install. It downloads and installs a new catalogue, checks it against what you have downloaded and lists any new publication downloads, if there are any. There’s no need to overthink it.

To add to Johans comment, there are books and documents that may be available to Elders. Ministerial Servants and Regular Pioneers that are included in the catalog. So the catalog update wont show any changes unless you happen to have all of the files listed in the catalog. For example, the LDC DC-82 is available in jwpub format, the catalog update will show when the DC-82 is updated only if you have it on your device.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I downloaded all the publications on my android phone and also the audio music files. But since yesterday evening when I tap open the JW library app the Favorites section on home page is not opening, just shows the purple circle going round and round but doesn't open. Also when I tap to open the publication section the app closes all together. So now I can't access the publications section anymore. Other sections open alright. But when I attempt to open the publications section, the app closes each time I try.. What could be causing this? 

I have tried to restart my phone but still same problem persists. So frustrating. Anyone facing similar issue?

This is how the homepage shows, the favourites section won't open. 

Screenshot_20191128-101235.jpg

Edited by Maris

As for your eyes, straight ahead they should look, yes, your own beaming eyes should gaze straight in front of you - Prov. 4:25

1 hour ago, Maris said:

I downloaded all the publications on my android phone and also the audio music files. But since yesterday evening when I tap open the JW library app the Favorites section on home page is not opening, just shows the purple circle going round and round but doesn't open. Also when I tap to open the publication section the app closes all together. So now I can't access the publications section anymore. Other sections open alright. But when I attempt to open the publications section, the app closes each time I try.. What could be causing this? 

I have tried to restart my phone but still same problem persists. So frustrating. Anyone facing similar issue?

This is how the homepage shows, the favourites section won't open. 

Screenshot_20191128-101235.jpg

on my ipad mini the fav section always shows a similar thing when update for new pubs. The crash may have something to do with all the downloaded files. Go to setting app and clear all the cache. 

1 hour ago, Luigi62 said:

on my ipad mini the fav section always shows a similar thing when update for new pubs. The crash may have something to do with all the downloaded files. Go to setting app and clear all the cache. 

Thanks for this help. I will try it out and see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, Maris said:

Hello brother.  I have cleared all the cache but still gives same result. Let me try restarting the phone and see what happens.

47 minutes ago, Maris said:

Hello brother.  I have cleared all the cache but still gives same result. Let me try restarting the phone and see what happens.

Hello brother, I have restarted my phone, and still the same issue persists. Maybe I just give it some time to clear on its own.  I just can't imagine reinstalling the JW Library again and lose all that downloaded data.

I would think that this problem with the JW Library app is a matter of system device resources and age. Please inform about make, model and memory storage capabilities(ram). 

Or go to a little bit above bare minimun requirements for your downloading materials.

I would assume that a newer device with faster processor, great memory storage capabilities will less likely have a problem.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Seems you have excellent system requirements. 

Maybe a software glitch to be cleaned up with future jw library update. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I do not think this will solve the problem, but... In your screenshot you can see the "refresh" icon in the upper right corner.  When you are on that home page, try selecting or pressing that button.  See if the automatic "refresh" will help.  Just a thought.

clip.JPG