JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

1 minute ago, Thesauron said:

The audio comes with the 8.1 update.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

On Android? Are you able to confirm that?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Something is coming for Android:

You are right, I didn't notice the "Streaming and Downloads" at the top...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 hours ago, trottigy said:

Oh, how do I listen to a Bible chapter or a magazine articl?  I  can't seem to find that feature.

I'm sorry, I was speaking of the audio section. 

IMG_20161016_204112.jpg

IMG_20161016_204146.jpg

Edited by loving life

Add to.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

2 minutes ago, trottigy said:

There aren't any magazines or the Bible in that section.

I know, that's why I apologized. I didn't realize you all were talking about just the Bible and Magazines'. :confused:

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Can't see where this is mentioned in this long long thread, so forgive me if it's already been discussed:

This morning when I had finished some Bible reading on my ipad JW app, I was minimising (for want of a better word) it to close down the app, and I noticed a message at the bottom of the ipad say "JW app: Good morning Lucy".  Huh? 

Anyone else have their JW app acknowledge them this morning? Or am I "special" :huh:

Or is this really an old thing I've not noticed before :confused:

13 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Can't see where this is mentioned in this long long thread, so forgive me if it's already been discussed:

This morning when I had finished some Bible reading on my ipad JW app, I was minimising (for want of a better word) it to close down the app, and I noticed a message at the bottom of the ipad say "JW app: Good morning Lucy".  Huh? 

Anyone else have their JW app acknowledge them this morning? Or am I "special" :huh:

Lucy, you must be special because it's never happened to me. I'm not technical enough to tell you why your iPad is sending you messages though.

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

That's awesome.  I'm going to give it a go and see if I can get it to do the same for me.  :-)

When you refer" JW app" do you mean "JW Library" or is this another app?
Also, the sentence on the bottom starts with "JW app:" or "JW Library app:"
It seems that you are talking about a different app ;)

Hi there,

I found this forum a few days ago and wanted to share something which might help those who faced the same problem I got.

One day, after updating some publications on JW Library for Android v.7 something went wrong and I couldn't load the publications tab anymore. I was still able to access the Bible, meetings material but not the publications tab. When trying to do so the wheel icon would turn forever.

As everyone in this forum I was impatient to see the new Android v.8 release, expecting it to fix my problem.

When I updated it and run JW Library, things were even worse: the app would always crash after a few seconds :(

So now I had a real problem as you can imagine. At first I tried the soft way by cleaning the cache... no result.

Uninstalling and reinstalling was out of question because I didn't want to loose all my highlighted texts. One reason, among many, I switched from paper publications was to avoid having to annotate again and again books or brochures used in the field when it is worn.

I thought it would be dubious to wait for another update soon and read on comments others had same problem.

Time to act.

At first I had a look at the report Android suggest to send in case of a crash. All I could see in the stack trace was an sql exception because of a very big query (sorry for the mumbo jumbo but hackers may want to know).

I rooted my tablet and started digging files located in /data/data/org.jwlibrary.mobile/.

After a while I spotted a file named userData.db in databases folder. It sounded likely my highlights would be kept in it.

As I also have a smartphone running Android but without highlights I thought maybe it could be a good guinea pig to experiment with. I replaced userData.db from my phone with the one coming from my tablet (yes, my phone is also rooted), stopped JW Library and restarted it and ta-da! All my highlights appeared on my phone :D

In case, I backed up my tablet JW Library folder, then uninstalled the app, installed it again, downloaded text publications (I think I could have used jwpub files from app_publications from my backup but I didn't bother, having enough data in my plan), stopped the app and put my previous userData.db in place of the new one. At next launch my highlights reappeared.

I also moved userData.db-shm and userData.db-wal out, I don't know their purpose but they were automatically recreated when JW Library started. It seems necessary to move all 3 files from the way and only use userData.db from previous install.

I didn't get back my bookmarks but I am so happy having back my highlights I don't care.

Considering the fact the device has to be rooted it may discourage many but it was a last chance option in my case, as I couldn't use the app anymore.

8 hours ago, Jean-Hugues said:

Hi there,

I found this forum a few days ago and wanted to share something which might help those who faced the same problem I got.

Well, thank you for sharing! Even if we don't encounter the same exact problem, you've helped us understand the possible corrupt database files to look out for. Insight into the workings helps to ease the frustration. Thanks Jean-Hugues, and a warm welcome to the forums!

IMG_0350.PNG

I have been able to recreate my message. It was from JWLibrary. Last night it didn't show when I was closing the app, and I started to think I'm 'losing it'. 

This morning I finished reading my Bible reading and the message came back -"JW Library, Good Evening Lucy".

(The only difference is that I opened the app for about 15 mins to read, rather than just opening and then closing it).

Is this an apple thing, not related to JW app? Or is it from the app itself? Really, could I be special? :D

9 hours ago, Jean-Hugues said:

At first I had a look at the report Android suggest to send in case of a crash. All I could see in the stack trace was an sql exception because of a very big query (sorry for the mumbo jumbo but hackers may want to know).

I rooted my tablet and started digging files located in /data/data/org.jwlibrary.mobile/.

After a while I spotted a file named userData.db in databases folder. It sounded likely my highlights would be kept in it.

As I also have a smartphone running Android but without highlights I thought maybe it could be a good guinea pig to experiment with. I replaced userData.db from my phone with the one coming from my tablet (yes, my phone is also rooted), stopped JW Library and restarted it and ta-da! All my highlights appeared on my phone :D

I had the exact same problems..... mine started while downloading music.  It locked up the programs.  I wish I had seen your post about 3 hours ago and I would have saved my "highlights".  Besides losing them I'm sure it will take a few days to reload all the videos and movies not to mention all the books, mags, etc. My tablet has an SD card so I'm going to keep all the files on the card and the program on the main drive.  Thanks for the post incase it happens again.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

50 minutes ago, dozerman5676 said:

10 hours ago, Jean-Hugues said:

I had the exact same problems..... mine started while downloading music.  It locked up the programs.  I wish I had seen your post about 3 hours ago and I would have saved my "highlights".  Besides losing them I'm sure it will take a few days to reload all the videos and movies not to mention all the books, mags, etc. My tablet has an SD card so I'm going to keep all the files on the card and the program on the main drive.  Thanks for the post incase it happens again.

JW Library for Android has a setting for downloading media to sd card, true..but how can you download or move publications to sd card within the app? :coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

5 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

JW Library for Android has a setting for downloading media to sd card, true..but how can you download or move publications to sd card within the app? :coffee:

You would ned some sort of 'file manager' to do that.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

6 minutes ago, shali said:
12 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

You would ned some sort of 'file manager' to do that.

Hi! I have a file manager..are you saying that if I can find all the books/magazines in my files  under JW Library, that I can move them to my sd card and the app would continue to work the same? I know that if I were to download them from jw.org that I could move them..but those would not be in the jw library app... :coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

24 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Hi! I have a file manager..are you saying that if I can find all the books/magazines in my files  under JW Library, that I can move them to my sd card and the app would continue to work the same? I know that if I were to download them from jw.org that I could move them..but those would not be in the jw library app... :coffee:

Best way to find out is to do it. If it doesn't work, justmove them back. Make careful note of the name of the files you moved and where they originally were.

There are some files that may not be visible unles your tablet is rooted though.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Since JW.library for Windows 10 have a new feature to show movie on a second screen, it's a big step to friendly use this app in kingdom hall for the middle week meeting and more if the KH is equipped with a PC.

we currently use a little chinese PC -pipo x9- with SoundBox to display music, lyrics, images, and videos during our meetings, but I used JW.library to screencast the last monthly broadcasting.

- which kind of software did you use in your KH ?

- have you ever tested JW.library for Windows 10 to do the job ?

bonus question: Have you ever seen a Mac used in a KH to display audio/pictures/videos ? If yes, did you know with which software ?

Edited by peper-eliot