JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2348 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

18 minutes ago, Doug said:

Typically we would be updated on containment;  10% - 30% - etc.

I have seen no such updates. This is literally out- of- control.

Cal Fire is throwing everything they can at this. Outside agencies pitching in as well.

I heard the Atlas fire is 3% contained. I haven't checked the other fires.

Here is a cool map that uses satellite thermal detection for the situational awareness reports.

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/39.8212/-96.1231/4

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Outside agencies pitching in as well.

I heard that CalFire has a Mutual Aid agreement with out of state agencies. That really helps the Incident Command structure utilize resources without having to hammer out the details. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 10/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, Tortuga said:

Our CO is looking for homes to house some of the friends affected by the fires. My SGOA said 1000 friends have been displaced..

I was thinking about this and I know a lot of the friends have RV's. It's too bad that KH parking lots could not be used for temporary placement of these RV's. Many can accommodate 4-6 people. During our 3 day remodel project I parked our RV at the KH for 24 hour security. The holding tanks would need emptying but local honey bucket companies have portable holding tanks that can be rented and emptied weekly.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

42 minutes ago, rocket said:

I was thinking about this and I know a lot of the friends have RV's. It's too bad that KH parking lots could not be used for temporary placement of these RV's. Many can accommodate 4-6 people. During our 3 day remodel project I parked our RV at the KH for 24 hour security. The holding tanks would need emptying but local honey bucket companies have portable holding tanks that can be rented and emptied weekly.

The local community college is a evac center and it has parking for RVs. I haven't heard if the local KH's or AH have been made available for RV parking but it is a good idea. My BIL said the double KH in Vallejo (south of us) is being used to house some friends. They finally have a chance to sleep at the KH without getting in trouble. :lol:

For the airplane enthusiasts,

The largest fire retardant airplane, a converted 747, is being used on the north end of the Atlas fire. The 747 can drop a mile long strip of fire retardant.

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

For the airplane enthusiasts,

The largest fire retardant airplane, a converted 747, is being used on the north end of the Atlas fire. The 747 can drop a mile long strip of fire retardant.

Juan Brown was talking about that 747 on his blancolirio youtube channel.  It's homebase is near his home.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Just now, Friends just call me Ross said:

Juan Brown was talking about that 747 on his blancolirio youtube channel.  It's homebase is near his home.

The local news copter has some great video of it in action.

The police reported that a mountain lion was seen in neighborhood not far from us. Poor thing probably lost its home in the fire...:(

Our area does not appear to be threatened by the Atlas fire any more. It went from 3% containment to 45% containment on Friday. The voluntary evacuations and the advisory notifications have been cancelled. The satellite thermal detection shows only a few hot spots. 

Unfortunately the shifting wind has made things worse in Santa Rosa. There was a new evacuation order yesterday. Charles Shultz was from Santa Rosa and the news has reported that some of his Peanuts memorabilia was lost in the fire.

Sister Margaret Keane (Big Eyes) lives in the Napa area and I heard that some of her original work was destroyed in the fire.

We had our CA today and several congregations from Napa were there.

The CO gave an update on the status of fires, how many friends were affected and what is being done to help them, here, I'll let him explain.

CO-Fire Update-10-15-17.mp3

had to evacuate , came home yesterday 

a little shack up  but im ok  

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/7517527-181/before-and-after-photos-wildfires?artslide=0

Some Photos of the areas be for and after

Some of these are less than a mile from my home

Kmart, Coffee Park, jerney end 

One KH served the fires storm , all meetings where canceled as you know we lost markwest
Lark fild KH no one in piner creek lost homes I was told 15 of the friends did lost homes

We had are first Sunday meeting we had lark fild with us and this wed we are all going to go

The  fare field  hall

48 minutes ago, bobby said:

We had are first Sunday meeting we had lark fild with us and this wed we are all going to go

The  fare field  hall

Are you going to the Fairfield Assembly Hall?

Is it your Circuit Assembly?

1 hour ago, bobby said:

Circuit Assembly no the elders told ue are med week meeting was canseld 

and we all where going to the Fairfield Assembly Hal

I'm glad you are able to attend the Circuit Assembly, i might be able to go the assembly hall on Sunday to meet you. 

So, here's a picture of all the trees still standing, but houses incinerated.

This was the question I asked ~~> Has anyone noticed or Can anyone here please explain how there are green trees still surrounding residences/area w/out being burned? 

Qapla's response - "This fire is moving at a speed that something that is green enough will not dry enough to burn before the fire has moved on."

Does anyone not find this strange?  There were also plastic mailboxes that weren't affected.59e66b41ee962_Firepic.jpg.5b9d04da8e19579bf3e5a27ed82e60e4.jpg

1 hour ago, SusanE said:

So, here's a picture of all the trees still standing, but houses incinerated.

This was the question I asked ~~> Has anyone noticed or Can anyone here please explain how there are green trees still surrounding residences/area w/out being burned? 

Qapla's response - "This fire is moving at a speed that something that is green enough will not dry enough to burn before the fire has moved on."

Does anyone not find this strange?  There were also plastic mailboxes that weren't affected.59e66b41ee962_Firepic.jpg.5b9d04da8e19579bf3e5a27ed82e60e4.jpg

It is very difficult to set green shrubbery on fire. In a clean landscaped area there would be little or no burning fuel under the tree to dry it out, just as Qapla stated. The buildings ignite when hot embers blow into contact with the walls and roofs. Wood or plastic siding ignite easily and provides enough heat to spread the flames. Houses with shake roofs are very susceptible to ignition from embers. Cedar or redwood siding materials are an open invitation for ignition.  Likewise torchdown or built-up roofing with parapets, hundreds of embers get blown next to a parapet such as at the Kmart and even if the building is sprinkled it will still burn down. Imagine burning embers collection on roofs like leaves in the fall. Mailboxes tend to be free standing in areas of little flammable material, the fire passes them by. Some cars parked on the street did not burn, being further away from the heat source and for whatever reasons the embers did not pile up under the cars or tires. 

In some municipalities shake roof are no longer allowed because of there susceptibility to catching fire from embers. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.