JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Super Blue Blood Moon

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2288 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

January 31st will be a great night to gaze at the heavens.  We can view a very rare super blue blood moon. for those of you that dont know the terms a super moon is when the moon is closest to the earth, blue moon is the 2nd full moon, and blood moon is due to a lunar eclipse. first time all 3 have lined up in over 150 years.

https://www.space.com/39432-get-ready-for-super-blue-blood-moon-eclipse.html

Totality, when the moon will be entirely inside the Earth’s dark umbral shadow, will last a bit more than one-and-a-quarter hours. 

712px-Geometry_of_a_Lunar_Eclipse.svg_.p

http://earthsky.org/tonight/super-blue-moon-eclipse-on-january-31?

(I cannot watch the totality part, because the moon will set 

before it happens:()

Eastern Standard Time (January 31, 2018)
Partial umbral eclipse begins: 6:48 a.m. EST
Moon sets before start of total eclipse

So for all those who would rather sleep in, or may have overcast skies on the 31st:

:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

So will we, in NZ, be able to view this? If so, would it be 31st for us or the lst?

LE2018-01-31T.gif

Looks like just the furthest west coast residents of Australia will see a teeny tiny bit of an umbra.

Alas, nothing for New Zealand.

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

So will we, in NZ, be able to view this? If so, would it be 31st for us or the lst?

Bit confusing because some sites show the image sister Rosanne posted which looks like we won't see it but I think the white parts are what's visible with that little black line and dot being the moon?

Anyway.. other sites says Australia/NZ have the best seats in the house :D I'm sure it will be on the local news near the day.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/january-to-end-with-lunar-trifecta-to-eclipse-all-others/news-story/5061ee1a90a83a76890be01aea99aa24

Across the New South Wales’North Coast and Gold Coast, the super red blue moon starts at 10.48pm eastern standard time, eclipsing fully from 11.51pm to 1.07am, and ending at 2.11am.

Edited by Paddle

Perth has clear skies this time of year, so we should be in the box seat.  Perth observatory states:

"This month’s eclipse will begin at 7:09 pm so Perth will miss the very beginning of the eclipse as the Moon rises above the trees in the Perth Hills at around 8:15 pm. The Eclipse will be at its max at 9:29 pm and it’ll finish by 12:08 am on Thursday the 1st of February so the total duration for this Eclipse will be just under 5 hours."

https://www.perthobservatory.com.au/the-night-sky/whats-januarys-night-skies-2018

If you're in Perth, some good spots that are high enough to view are:

Hot spots to see the Super Blue Blood Moon in Perth

• The top of Reabold Hill at Bold Park in Floreat, Perth's highest inner metropolitan peak 
  • The DNA tower at the highest point of Kings Park for uninterrupted panoramas (the climb is a bonus workout)  
  • Monument Hill lookout, the highest part of Buckland Hill in Mosman Park with sweeping views to the east
  • Yokine Hill, 83m above sea level and one of Perth's highest peaks 
  • Lesmurdie Falls National Park, on the escarpment east/south-east of Perth
  • Frenchman Bay in King George Sound, along the eastern shore of the Torndirrup Peninsula
  • Peaceful Bay beach, a curving 600m-long, east-facing beach near Walpole
  • Salmon Holes, Albany
  • Two Peoples Bay, Albany

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/remember-to-look-up-wa-set-to-experience-rare-super-blue-blood-moon-20171228-h0awma.html

Dont forget to take pictures for thd rest of us. Lol.:D  

15 hours ago, adamcu78 said:

January 31st will be a great night to gaze at the heavens.  We can view a very rare super blue blood moon. for those of you that dont know the terms a super moon is when the moon is closest to the earth, blue moon is the 2nd full moon, and blood moon is due to a lunar eclipse. first time all 3 have lined up in over 150 years.

https://www.space.com/39432-get-ready-for-super-blue-blood-moon-eclipse.html

Thanks Adam for those clarifications. Sometimes we hear the terms but never understand what they mean  

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

15 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Thank you. ..

I was starting to think 'hey, get the new guy a bucket, and sponges'...

Thanks for steering me straight. ..:blink:

I knew a brother that was thinking of getting into crime scene cleaning. I made him some fake cards that said "Splatter don't matter"...:o

Ok, back on topic

....uh...I got nothing...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The super blue blood lunar event will be visible in our area from 04:00 to 06:00. We will be arriving at the AH at 05:00, just in time to see the eclipse...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 1/30/2018 at 6:43 AM, Tortuga said:

The super blue blood lunar event will be visible in our area from 04:00 to 06:00. We will be arriving at the AH at 05:00, just in time to see the eclipse...

I saw the eclipse starting while I loaded the car at 04:30, it actually looked a little boring. The moon was normal size and color. The moon did change color later during the eclipse, however things really looked cool as it came out of the eclipse.

I saw it just before 7:00. Absolutely breathtaking. I almost missed it because I forgot about it and accidentally saw it from the window. I walked down the street to get a better view of it. If I would have saw it 15 minutes later I would have missed it.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Saw it from my area in New England USA. Couldn’t take my eyes off it...until I almost went off the road. Beautiful! :eek:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.