JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Original Hebrew name of God found

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2267 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

While we can speculate on how it was pronounced, we may even have conclusive proof how it was spoken 2,000 years ago... I'm reminded of the opening words of the Revelation 'book' (paraphrased as i cannot remember verbatim): 'This is the truth as we see it NOW' (ie subject to further enlightenment)
It may be different to how it was spoken 6,000 years ago.
Maybe at perfection Jehovah will give us a level of comprehension to fully grasp his name and meaning.
(Are we inadvertently prying into a gift wrapped present, before we should? )
Just a thought.
I definitely am curious, but the final say comes from above.
And we all still agree the basic tennenants of our faith arecrock solid.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

On 1/31/2018 at 12:49 AM, TonyWenz said:

It may be different to how it was spoken 6,000 years ago.

Yes, we mentioned this before. Probably Noah pronounced "Jehovah" quite differently than David or the apostle Paul. Or our Hebrew-speaking brothers today. :)

Edited by carlos

Hi all. I had a look again, after receiving various comments about the Aid book being out-of-date, and I couldn't find any updated or replaced understanding of what was previously stated there. The only newer quote that I could find (that doesn't even mention the vowels) is:

*** w80 1st February p. 11 The Divine Name in Later Times ***
Interestingly, Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican order, first rendered the divine name as “Jehova.” This form appeared in his book Pugeo Fidei, published in 1270 C.E.—over 700 years ago.

After chatting with another brother on here, they mentioned that they were after a reference for a reliable source from one of the contemporaries around the Middle Ages, not in modern times, so sorry for any confusion.

13 hours ago, carlos said:

Thanks for the screenshot, Christopher. Yes, this explanation was in the old Aid book and is repeated in the most recent Insight. But again, that doesn't make it true. The Slave is not an authority in Linguistics or science. When they talk about science, they have to rely on what the experts say. For decades most experts have repeated as parrots that Jehovah is YHWH with the vowels of Adonai, so the brothers quoted that theory. More recent research seems to indicate that explanation might not be well based.

Thanks for clarifying that. Your argument makes perfect sense.

It's bigger on the inside!

On 1/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, Lewis said:

I have Google Drive but when I attempted to download it I got the following message:

Google Drive

We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

Find out more about this topic at the Google Drive Help Center.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/148505?visit_id=1-636532045553912328-43869337&hl=en&rd=1

Did anyone else have problems downloading the file?  Thanks.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:58 AM, BroJPM said:

I have also seen the video clip but I am not convinced. Nehemia Gordon said they found over 1000 texts where it shows it YeHoVaH but if you think of it how could the same mistake happen over 1000 times? Me Gordon says that the scribes by accident left the couples in but how could that be? The scribes counted each written document to make sure that no accident had taken place yet now they made the same mistake over 1000 times. Something does not sound right. Insight on the scriptures says on page 7 vol. 2 under Jehovah- what is the proper pronunciation of God’s name?

”in the second half of the first millennium C.E., Jewish scholars introduced a system of points to represent the missing vowels in the consonantal Hebrew text. When it came to God’s name, instead of inserting the proper vowel signs for it, they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ‘Adhonai’ (meaning “sovereign Lord”) or Elohim (meaning “God”). “ 

it mentions further that some vowel vowel points makes it read Yehwah, Yehwih and Yehovah or also Yehowah. Some then favor others also.

so actually it does not matter how many manuscripts Mr Gordon finds that does not proof that it was Pronounced Yeho(v/w)ah. I have also heard that some say that the vowel points for Adonai or Elohim is not exactly the same as used to get to Yehovah. 

Encyclopaedia Judaica second edition volume 7 under God’s name- YHWH says: 

“ In the early Middle Ages, when the consonantal text of the Bible was supplied with vowel points to facilitate its correct traditional reading, the vowel points for Adonai with ONE VARIATION - a sheva with the initial yod of YHWH instead of the hataf-patch under the aleph of Adonai- were used for YHWH, thus PRODUCING the form YeHoWaH. When Christian scholars of Europe first began to study Hebrew, they did not understand what this really meant, and they introduced the HYBRID name “ Jehovah.”

Wikipedia has a lot on this under Jehovah and shows pictures of it.

There is a religious group in America under the sacred name movement called “ Yahweh’s Restoration Ministry” that has done a lecture about this exact topic (the video can be found of the one guy giving the talk, the talk is on YouTube - 

)

I know the Catholic Church on their radio program likes to say that Jehovah’s Witnesses have rid themselves of everything Catholic but yet they keep the mistake they made on God’s name. 

There is unfortunatly so so much info on this and it is controversial because each one takes one side and talked against the rest. The Organization has done good research on this and that’s why we keep using Jehovah in English because as they say it has been excepted for a long time, yet we can’t be docmatic and say it was Yehowah or Yahweh. We simply don’t know and if Jah wanted us to use the one and it really is of great importance he would never have let it gotten lost. Now I guess someone can say: yes but it was never lost as some say...

well I will wait on Jah to reveal what is needed.

ps. I have contacted Mr Gordon to notify him about YRM and the talk they did on the matter and will wait for a reply after he has a look at theit lecture. ( I believe they are talking about MR Gordon in their talk but don’t want to use his name, could they be scared that people will listen to his research?? Doug it. Will post his reply ,that is if he replies.

I too wondered about this Nehemia Gordon. He sounds like the equivalent of evangelizer on steroids , only Jewish. I couldn’t find him mentioned anywhere in our literature. If this was such a fabulous find, why haven’t our brothers drawn any special attention to the rendering Yehovah. Could the hype be monetarily motivated?

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I watched the Documentary listed above 'In Gods Name', and I was reminded how very different Jesus is pronounced in English to Hebrew.
The same goes with almost all Hebrew names. It didn't twig till recently, the former Israeli PM 'Yitzhak Rabin', was the same as our English Isaac... and probably very different to how Sarah named him.
No one argues how to pronounce Jeremiah, Isaiah, Joel or even Mahershalalhasbaz (I had to look up just to spell it...).
And if the name of God has to be pronounced properly, then (and trinitarians should agree), it is equally important to pronounce Jesus correctly (especially for those who contend Jesus IS God!)
To many, 7,000 occurances of the name is irrefutable proof of the personal name. It's their hatred for the name that directs their conclusions. Humble ones can be taught...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

I think as our GB has pointed out numerous times, there is no unanimity/concensus  among scholars with regard to the original pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton/God’s name.

While one may say, most scholars prefer Yahweh...., still nothing is certain. At most it’s a better guess.

If we say it must be pronounced in its original form, then that concept should be applied across the board to all the other Hebrew names. But again nothing is certain regarding the pronunciation of the ancient Hebrew Tetragrammaton. Why change what we have become accustomed to for hundreds of years in favor of a “better guess”? What if after a while they come up with an even “better guess”.... better than the current “better guess”? 

Its all really a distration from what’s really important. Teaching others about WHO Jehovah is, his qualities. Getting to know him as a person, and what his purpose for us is.

Thats the focus of our GB/Faithful Discreet Slave.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

12 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

And if the name of God has to be pronounced properly, then (and trinitarians should agree), it is equally important to pronounce Jesus correctly (especially for those who contend Jesus IS God!)

Excellent point. Years ago I was talking to one of my uncles. He was a clergyman in those days. He told me the name Jehovah is a mispronunciation, since it is a hybrid, and so should not be used. I used the example of the name Jesus, as you mentioned. We may not know exactly how the name Jehovah was originally pronounced, but we do know the original pronunciation of Jesus' name. Yet, no one insists we should use that pronunciation in English. WOW! Did he ever change the subject quickly!

Interestingly, the name Joshua and Jesus are virtually the same name. See the note in the Study Edition for Matthew 1:21, or look up the two names in Insight volume 2, and you'll see they both have the same meaning. "Joshua" is a transliteration of the Hebrew Yehoh·shuʹaʽ, and Jesus is a transliteration of the Greek, I·e·sousʹ. In fact, you can use the Kingdom Interlinear to look up a verse that uses the name Joshua in the Christian Greek Scriptures (ex: Acts 7:45, Hebrews 4:8), and you'll see the name I·e·sousʹ. Whenever readers of the Christian Greek Scriptures in the first century read the books of Acts or Hebrews, they could see from the context which I·e·sousʹ it was referring to.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)