JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Peoplekind instead of mankind

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2267 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It's getting ridiculous in the world... :scared:

Justin Trudeau interrupted a woman complaining about Canada’s restrictive regulations on religious volunteers to tell her to use the term ‘peoplekind’ instead of ‘mankind.’

The PM, who is a vocal feminist, advocate for gender equality and responsible for Canada’s first gender-balanced cabinet, was trolled mercilessly on Twitter for the ridiculous correction, leaving many wondering where the politically correct war on the English language will stop.

https://www.rt.com/news/418061-trudeau-peoplekind-correction-mankind/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

In reading the twitter comments at the bottom, this is the one I enjoyed the most. 

"Justin Trudeau's term, "peoplekind," is also sexist.

Why?

"People" is plural for "person."

See what I see?

per-SON.

What about daughters?

Per-SON is a gendered term, and therefore, "people" is too.

The correct term, if we do elect to use it, is:

"PEROFFSPRINGKIND." "

This is how low we will go if this ridiculousness is allowed to continue. 

However, 'peroffspringkind' is such a fun word and rolls off the tongue so easily I think I'm going to have to use it from now on when the need to use the gender alternative arises. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Person is used for an individual.  If you have more than one person you can use persons as a plural.

People actually refers to a group.  It means a single group.  The plural of people would be peoples, as in people of two different nations or groups.

Our publications commonly speak of people and peoples as described above.

In common usage today, people has come to be accepted as a plural of person and is now more commonly used than persons.

In the past words like 'mailman' or 'postman' were used whether the mail carrier was male or female.  Then it was suggested that mailperson should be used instead.  This actually made things worse.  If the mail carrier were male, he would be referred to as a mailman, but if the carrier were female, the politically correct person or persons would use mailperson.

Changing a language isn’t easy, but it happens all the time? Want to introduce a word for whatever reason? Start by using it. See if it catches on...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”