JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library video closes

Hello my brothers and sisters.

This problem happens all the time while playing any video using the JW Library app.

The video plays for a short while but then it just closes.

If the video is from the broadcasting it plays from 3 to 5 minutes but then it closes. If the video is 2 minutes in length it plays for 15 seconds to 1 minute before it closes.

What closes is the video. JW Library stays open.

Audio files play fine and do not close using the JW Library app.

Outside of JW Library app all video files play without closing.

This is on an Android Samsung Galaxy 10.1 from year 2014, model number SM-P605V 

Running Android Lollipop 5.1.1 with the latest JW Library app version 10.4.23307

Any ideas?

Hi

I have the same model, but I have not tried playing videos through the app.
But I was thinking, as a work-around have you tried to download the video and play it the same way you do other videos? If the problem is the library app, bypass it...!
I had a similar problem with my samsung phone, but eventually an update fixed it. In time I hope this is your experience.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

I did a test. My video plays all the way through on the app. I played 'Best life ever', abour 3:30 long. Played all the way to the end. I downloaded a new one at 720p. It froze at 56 seconds. I deleted it and tried again. All ok 2nd time.
I downloaded another file at 240p. While I noticed that the quality of picture was poor, it did play, no probs.
My jw app is v10.4.23307
Model sm-p600
Android 5.1.1
My library app is set to download media to the sd card (in settings tab)
Please ensure you have a quality sd card (class 10) that can cope with the speed needed for video.

My suggestion would be to uninstall library app and reinstall.

Older

UPDATE

The problem is more than just playing videos.

At random times the JW Library app refreshes itself. It refreshes even while viewing a magazine article and makes it hard to study :(

This refreshing has to be the reason why videos close when using the app.

Why is it refreshing? I don't know. That is why I am here requesting help to try and figure it out.

WiFi, Bluetooth are off. No other programs are running in the background.

The following link has two short videos showing the problem in action:

To answer your questions / suggestions:

TonyWenz "have you tried to download the video and play it the same way you do other videos?. If the problem is the library app, bypass it...!"

"My library app is set to download media to the sd card (in settings tab)"

Bypasing the app for videos is an option (even though this option makes it harder to find the videos) but the random refreshing going on within the app make it almost unusable :(

This problem is happening with and without using the SD card.

Friends just call me Ross  "Does this happen while connected to Wi-Fi, or just when using your phone's data?  Or both?"

Both

OPTION FOR TROUBLESHOOTING:  I want to try an older version of the JW Library app. But I will wait on what you all think. Thank you

Edited by luisenriquereyes

spelling

The problem is not new. In other JW Library thread, others experience it too. I cant remember experiencing it.

Reinstalling the app is what I remember, make sure you open the files of jw library and move or copy the downloaded music and videos to a folder brother endique :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

I did have a problem with my tablet, to do with working memory or RAM. As our devices are old, and all the automatic updates (I like to call them bloat-ware) that serve no useful purpose but clog up your device.
You can check your device and sd card via settings & memory tab.
My device would restart at odd times too. So I went and uninstalled every app I dont use, AND I uninstalled every UPDATE on the built-in apps that I never use ie The Times, Bloomberg, Flipboard etc.
I am tending to think it is a memory problem. I am also a little frustrated that Samsung have not done anymore updates, and 5.1.1 is really getting a bit old now. Newer OS would handle these memory problems better, but the Note 10.1 is quickly becoming obsolete.

Older

FOUND THE SOLUTION :D

Since this tablet was originally sold by Verizon in the US it comes with a SIM card slot for a data SIM.

Well I opened the slot and found an old Verizon SIM card still inside. (Side note: I recently purchased this tablet used from Amazon).

I removed the SIM card, and what do you know. No more problem :D 

With a SIM card inserted with no data service seems like the tablet tries to connect and this refreshes the JW Library app.

Hopefully this fix helps someone else. 

Thanks everyone for your help >:D<

I have been using the jw library app on my android devices for a long time 

I have not had it close or be unstable 

This includes my Samsung phone and my lenovo tablet 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~