JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

...Pangs of Distress...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2016 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

“. . .and earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, typhoons, lightning, fires, floods, extreme heat and extreme cold in one place after another.  All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.”  - Matthew 24:7, 8 (paraphrased)

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-iowa-tornadoes-20180720-story.html

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Weather is more in the news than ever before.  Those once-in-a-hundred year weather phenomena are becoming way too frequent now.  Wonder why??

Recent examples, apart from the unexpected tornado in Iowa:

Japan's worst flooding disaster in 36 years, "historic rains" on already saturated soils caused flooding and landslides with over 200 killed and many more missing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/japan-floods-death-toll-hits-200/9985308

Hawaii's Kilauea earthquake that set off the volcanic eruptions in May

https://globalnews.ca/news/4344865/hawaii-kilauea-volcano-eruption-months-years/

Dust storms in May in India killing 125, when normally in years past around 12 have died

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Indian_dust_storms

Record-breaking heatwave in Ireland and GB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_heat_wave

I forgot about the dust storms....:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We had a bad thunderstorm come through last night; the KH is shut down due to tree damage. The apartment in the Literature Depot next to the Hall had a tree fall on it but thankfully no one hurt..we live very close to the Hall but nothing serious here..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Weather is more in the news than ever before.  Those once-in-a-hundred year weather phenomena are becoming way too frequent now.  Wonder why??

I need to do more research on Matt 24:7 (again) and see if "earthquakes" actually represents all weather related disasters in general. Jesus may have used 'earthquakes' to illustrate the effect of all weather related issues...

It is only natural that one kind of disaster would make other types of weather and their effects worse. The earth quakes release underground gases into the air. That fuels atmospheric storms. Those storms build in intensity when the atmosphere heats up. High heat will increase the size of the storms. Its circle of balance that has been do messed up that one thing affects the other. Each one makes the other worse. High heat creates drought. Drought creates more dust storms and particulate matter in the air that causes more health problems that increase the effect of health problems. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

48 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

The earth quakes release underground gases into the air.

I have never heard this before. 

Are there any references you can aim me at, so I can further my education? 

Edit: I just did some google fu and have now been enlightened.  All those years of earthquake experience and I never really thought about the quake related gas issue.  Hmmmm, interesting. ...

Edited by tekmantwo

and some want to blame all the Global Warming on manmade things :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

What do you think volcanic flows release? Those are caused both by magma pressure and earthquakes. Gas lines break when the earth tears its self apart. Natural gas in released by the ton when that happens. Other things like ash are released. All kinds of things happen.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I forgot about the dust storms....

I don't..

Dust storm rolls through Phoenix area

The first dust storm of the monsoon season rolls by South Mountain in Phoenix on July 5, 2018.

https://www.azcentral.com/videos/news/local/phoenix-weather/2018/07/06/dust-storm-rolls-through-phoenix-area/761965002/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

The tornado weather pattern in the US is moving

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/tornadoes-are-spinning-up-farther-east-in-us-study-finds/ar-BBOuSYb?li=BBnb7Kz

WASHINGTON — Over the past few decades tornadoes have been shifting — decreasing in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas but spinning up more in states along the Mississippi River and farther east, a new study shows. Scientists aren't quite certain why.

I'm becoming convinced that Jesus wasn't talking about just earthquakes but used that to illustrate that the planet weather pattern would change and cause pangs of distress. 

Edited by Tortuga

It is good to remember that Jesus used examples of things the people he talked to could understand. Seems Israel is in a "earthquake prone area" while, when it comes to hurricanes, 

It's a rare event, one that's been recorded only 100 times since 1948, and it happens so infrequently because of the dry climate of the region. 

https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/nature/hurricanes-medicane-mediterranean

Now, it is quite possible that had Jesus been in Oklahoma, he would have said "tornadoes" and had he been in Florida, he may have said "hurricanes" - of course, had he been in California, he would most likely have stuck to "earthquakes"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I’m not sure what to think. I have been assuming that the increase in disasters are largely caused by man ‘ruining the earth’.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

9 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

I’m not sure what to think. I have been assuming that the increase in disasters are largely caused by man ‘ruining the earth’.

True, probably in ways that we dont understand but Jehovah could foresee. 

I always thought man's "ruining the earth" would be part of man's not being able to rule himself and we would experience proof of that. Which to me seems manifest in many of the disasters occurring around the world that could be linked to humans, not all, but many. How far will the ruining of the earth go I wonder?

Why are there great earthquakes in one place after another?  What is causing the increase in the last days?  Is it the human factor,  (everything he meddles with turns out bad)?  Not every earthquake or natural disaster is due to man, of course.  But fracking, for example,  does seem to increase the earthquakes, and in areas not usually prone.  Perhaps humans have created the "perfect storm" of out of control physical elements - more than just earthquakes but affecting the other earth cycles as well.  Earth tectonics does cause weather too.

We won't know for sure now, but after Armageddon.