JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coffee break

Just as a point of interest:

The RC we attend is held in the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville Fl - It is marked in teal in the picture below

If you look, right around the corner from the Convention Venue is Maxwell House Coffee - it is marked with the red pin

Maxwell House coffee is produced in Jacksonville, Florida. A second plant located in San Leandro, California, was closed in 2016. A third plant (the oldest of the group), located in Hoboken, New Jersey, was closed in the early 1990s.

- yes, this is where they roast the coffee ... in fact, it is the only place they make Maxwell House. Sometimes the smell of the roasting coffee is so powerful, it almost smell like they are burning it, that you can smell it when you drive past the plant even with your windows up and A/C running.

We drive down E Bay St, turn left on Lafayette St, turn left again on E Adams St and park in that Adams St Parking lot right behind the plant

image.thumb.png.af7738b3e74033158befba15393749dc.png

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

any one ever had Turkish coffee 

a dear bro go me on it years a go and now must of us form 3 dif congregation look him up 

at Assembly for his Turkish coffee 

one older bro who never had it drank it for the first time and so wired that his wife was made at the bro 

you see he was not  a big coffee drinker 

Edited by bobby

17 minutes ago, bobby said:

any one ever had Turkish coffee 

I use to work with a Turkish woman who made me Turkish coffee. I also knew a Greek brother that would make Greek coffee. Both were very good.

I like Mexican coffee, Italian coffee and most coffees from Central and South America. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Decaffeinated coffee any good?  I wouldn't want you to try it and get sick.  Just wondering if the caffeine component is the culprit.  (and then, even decaf coffee may have some caffeine in it)

I could probably handle the lower amounts of caffeine in tea fine again if I only did it once per day and early in the morning. The main reasons I avoid black and green teas are because they are high in flouride, which I have reason to believe contributed to my neurological issues. Also, the higher antioxidants in green tea can actually aggravate autoimmune conditions. Go figure, in my worst years I always had a gallon jug of Arizona Green Tea on my desk (which is also full of high fructose corn syrup).

As far as decaffeinated coffee goes.. I typically don't go for seeds (including chocolate/carob) at all since I'm use an Autoimmune Protocol, but I have considered attempting reintroducing coffee to see how I would fair both in that regard and with caffeine again (along with ghee/mct oil as butter coffee to buffer and time release it). The typical cheap decaffeinating process involves processing with carcinogenic benzene or methyl chloride... no thanks. Also, the lack of caffeine as a natural pesticide results in them using more synthetic pesticides as well as higher levels of mycotoxins (mold). No thanks. Fair trade and organic from a single source if I go for it. I admit I'd like to try traditional Tibetan Yak Butter Tea and other butter coffees...

Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. I've mentioned wanting to use coffee enemas to utilize the hepatic portal between the colon and the liver... perhaps I just need to think of drinking coffee as a prescription diuretic, a... reverse-enema. Hey, if it could cure chronic constipation, it would be a net positive!

7 minutes ago, Myew said:

perhaps I just need to think of drinking coffee as a prescription diuretic, a... reverse-enema. Hey, if it could cure chronic constipation, it would be a net positive!

Have you looked into chicory root as a coffee substitute?  I quite like the taste, it's caffeine free, and has other benefits.  This article brings out some of the benefits, including for digestion and constipation issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/chicory-coffee#section3

However, read the whole article, as for some people there are some side effects too.  Most will tolerate chicory fine though.

@hatcheckgirl I know the Cinnamon tea I usually drink has some Chicory in it, but I've never tried it on its own, I think I will try it. I realize I actually shouldn't have typically been using Chicory as it would feed SIBO, but I seem to have that handled for the moment and I'm taking probiotics currently to try and patch the holes in my dysbiotic microbiome. It would be great if it only feeds the good and not the bad, but the good should displace the bad with any luck beneficial circumstances and times...

@Myew  I don't want you to get sick tho!

While chicory coffee has been associated with several health benefits, it’s not for everyone.

Chicory may trigger an allergic reaction in some people, causing symptoms like pain, swelling and tingling of the mouth (18).

Also, people with an allergy to ragweed or birch pollen should avoid chicory to limit negative side effects (19).

Edited by hatcheckgirl

0?ui=2&ik=aeaeb3797f&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1606967521504549067&th=164d18725cde58cb&view=fimg&sz=w1600-h1000&attbid=ANGjdJ8tH3d3cJW0YnBZHSbJt7YOSQqEylQRKvUFDfOvvwiEz8PgDFrWVpoCzwm5qhQdV_58V1NVhFZzdMPcWUPo0XK1JLfIINsazo5C-AD0QoJmp5RfVQgPKPsS36Q&disp=embThis is an herbal tea that contains the ingredients: extracts of roasted barley, chicory root, dandelion root and sugar beetroot. It's naturally sweetened with the fructose contained in the roasted roots.

It's a good substitute for coffee..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I've had cold brew coffee too, it's pretty good.

You have to be careful with it, I went for a walk and wore out a pair of shoes. :eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh I love coffee .. hot, black and strong please! I live quite close to a wonderful company that roasts and blends beautiful organic coffee: https://www.hummingbirdcoffee.com/our-coffees

My favourite is the 'Oomph' blend. I always make sure I have plenty of the plunger grind in the house! (except for right now - I have been stuck at home with the flu and I've almost finished my last bag!)

At work I have helped to gradually get them away from cheap instant coffee to great freshly ground beans. We still have instant coffee available but our wonderful boss bought us a commercial German coffee machine which is great! It is so good to have excellent coffee to get through the day. 

Apparently Coffee and egg is a supernice combo.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:34 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, due to my Greek heritage.  We call it "Turkiko".  Just don't drink the dregs!

Again, strong, short and black, but with a lovely crema.

Image result for turkish coffee

I spy turkish delight! Yum!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I think I have shared this in the other coffee threads but it doesn't hurt to reheat it..

Peets Coffee  gives a local Assembly Hall several pallets of dated coffee about once a month. The brothers distribute it to the other Assembly Halls in the area so about once a month we receive a pallet full of coffee bags. Last year they even provided a grinder so during the SKE classes our 'coffee girls' were able to make freshly ground Peets coffee each morning for the students.

The AH overseer will give away some of the coffee before it expires so there are always bags of different blends available to take home. The AH is now being used to host LDC meetings so the brothers and sisters also get to take a bag...

The story is that Peets use to give the coffee to another religious organization but that group was reselling it and that violated the terms of the donation so someone suggested they donate it to the AH. Cool.

On 7/24/2018 at 3:55 AM, Tortuga said:

Pops use to tell us kids that if we drank coffee our heels would turn black and all of our kids would be born naked.

Pretty scary stuff...:eek:

So that's whom you've got your wonderful sense of humour from!

I didn't understand the purpose of coffee on Earth up until about 30, when I also got addicted. 

Now I don't understand what mood-changing effect alcohol may have on people. I wonder how soon I'll get addicted to it.

Edited by blueyellow

1 hour ago, blueyellow said:

So that's whom you've got your wonderful sense of humour from!

Thank you. Mom was pretty witty and she claimed to have passed on some of it to each of her kids and made each of us half wits... 

• 3 weeks later...