JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coffee break

Who here likes coffee?

My coffee seems to be pretty popular around here.

I typically buy community brand, but I can make do with and medium roast ground arabica; I like my brew to be robust, but not strong enough to make the spoon stabd up by itself.

Basically I want it to be just strong enough to be opaque. In my opinion, if you can see through it, it's coffee flavored water XD

Who here enjoys a nice cup o joe? Or is a cup of tea more your cup of tea?

My dad use to joke about making cowboy coffee. Boil water and put in a handful of ground coffee.  

It had to be strong enough to float a bullet and hot enough to shoot it, so always point the bullet away from you when checking the coffee. 

:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My Dad was raised Mormon - you'd think he would not drink coffee ... but he did. He spent 20 years in the US Navy - about half (or more) of that time aboard ship.

Keep in mind, he was in the Navy back in the 1939-1959 era. He told us that on the ships he was on they had one "pot" dedicated to coffee. Their "pot" was a steam kettle and it was kept warm/hot (just before a simmer/boil) 24/7. He said they would add water and grounds to the kettle and, when grounds started to come out of the spout, they would scoop enough out to make room. They never emptied or washed that kettle.

When he got out, he still drank his coffee as back as he could get it and it could almost "stand up a spoon". 

My mother, on the other hand, liked her coffee much less strong and she used milk and sugar.

Funny thing is, even though they were both coffee drinkers, they thought children should not drink coffee - so, as kids, we never drank any. When you get older and did not grow up drinking coffee  - it really does not taste that food. As a result, to this day, I do NOT drink coffee.

Now, a good cup of 

hc1.jpeg.45ae43b76d855fb185eae19b53ad6097.jpeg

Hot Chocolate - that is a different story 😋

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

17 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Funny thing is, even though they were both coffee drinkers, they thought children should not drink coffee

Pops use to tell us kids that if we drank coffee our heels would turn black and all of our kids would be born naked.

Pretty scary stuff...:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I like coffee very much.  My parents didn't drink it so we didn't grow up around it at all.  However, once I started working an office job, I quickly discovered that coffee is a very sociable beverage and it was not a bad idea to develop a taste for it - and I did!  I started by mixing my Swiss Miss instant cocoa with coffee... and gradually weaned myself onto coffee with cream and sugar.  I LOVE the smell of it and it gives a nice lift.  I only drink one cup in the morning... sometimes if it's a meeting night, I'll have one in the afternoon.  I once worked for Boyd Coffee Company and that's my favorite coffee to buy; it's very smooth and delicious.

I did drink it black for a brief time when I was on a diet... not my favorite.  However, if the coffee is proper quality, it's not bad black, either.  As pioneers who very often are up running around from 7a to 7p on the weekends, it's pretty much an essential!  Plus, it's a great opener to invite others to chat, "Wanna go grab a coffee?" works a treat! 😉 

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My dad use to joke about making cowboy coffee. Boil water and put in a handful of ground coffee.  

It had to be strong enough to float a bullet and hot enough to shoot it, so always point the bullet away from you when checking the coffee. 

:lol1:

You left out that when it started boil over you stirred it with a green stick. Been there done that. It tasted delicious on an early morning in the elk camp, was totally un-drinkable  when you got back to civilization.  

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I don't drink much coffee these days, when I was working I drank about 130-150 ounces a day,  mostly before lunch. 

I also like it strong. 

I was working on a remodel, a bank into a jewelry store. The owner lady, of Turkish background,  noticed how much I drank and offered me a cup of Turkish Expresso.   She cautioned me, said it was really strong. 

I took a sip and then just slammed it down in one long drink. I told her it wasn't bad, just a little weak. She was a little surprised, didn't expect that. 

I offered her some of mine, poured out of my thermos into that small cup. She took a sip and wouldn't drink anymore,  she did have the courtesy to not actually gag in my face. 

In my service truck I carried a small jar of freeze dried instant coffee crystals.  If I was in traffic or didn't have any left in my Thermos I would occasionally pour  some in my mouth dry and just let it dissolve.

I was working at a weld shop near here and someone forgot to turn off the coffee pot before we left. The next day one of the guys went to make coffee and it had all boiled off, leaving a bit of a burnt tar in the bottom.  He put some hot water in the pot and was using a piece of steel to scrape with when another guy said not to throw it out, that I would probably drink it..

It wasn't bad.... 

Just now, tekmantwo said:

I don't drink much coffee these days, when I was working I drank about 130-150 ounces a day,  mostly before lunch. 

I also like it strong. 

I was working on a remodel, a bank into a jewelry store. The owner lady, of Turkish background,  noticed how much I drank and offered me a cup of Turkish Expresso.   She cautioned me, said it was really strong. 

I took a sip and then just slammed it down in one long drink. I told her it wasn't bad, just a little weak. She was a little surprised, didn't expect that. 

I offered her some of mine, poured out of my thermos into that small cup. She took a sip and wouldn't drink anymore,  she did have the courtesy to not actually gag in my face. 

In my service truck I carried a small jar of freeze dried instant coffee crystals.  If I was in traffic or didn't have any left in my Thermos I would occasionally pour  some in my mouth dry and just let it dissolve.

I was working at a weld shop near here and someone forgot to turn off the coffee pot before we left. The next day one of the guys went to make coffee and it had all boiled off, leaving a bit of a burnt tar in the bottom.  He put some hot water in the pot and was using a piece of steel to scrape with when another guy said not to throw it out, that I would probably drink it..

It wasn't bad.... 

Wow. I hope you've never spilled you coffee on your car. That stuff's likely to eat the paint right off XD

I love a good Hawaiian peaberry coffee.

Mmmm.......

Melbourne is the coffee capital of Australia from any angle you choose to look at it from.

Melburnians Love Their Coffee

According to one study conducted by the Sydney Morning Herald, Melbourne residents venture to coffee shops, cafes, and restaurants in search of their caffeine fix more than anyone else in the country. Almost 12% of people who responded said that they buy coffee 16 times or more in a 90-day period.

If you narrow that question down to just Melbourne residents who visit a cafe or coffee shop at least once, the number jumps to an incredible 63%. Sydney was close behind at 61%, but as the old saying goes – close, but no cigar.

Melbourne has the rest of the country (and the world, depending on whom you ask) beat in a number of other ways, too. In March of 2016, Melbourne took its coffee love to new heights when it hosted the International Coffee Expo at the Melbourne Showgrounds. Some people even believe that Melbourne doesn’t just have the best coffee in the country – it’s also the coffee capital of the WORLD, at least as far as quality is concerned.https://www.rsamelbourne.com.au/melbourne-the-coffee-capital-of-australia/

I love coffee :tea:....... with donuts! :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Isn't there a coffee thread for someone to share with Katty. So she can know who are the true coffee lovers? 😉

I don't mind having the conversation over again. It's like having a second cup of coffee with a new friend...

8 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

We also had one about coffee K-Cups...

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/29688-coffee-k-cups/

It was a balanced, medium roasted conversation...:lol:

Edited by Tortuga

In my family we were not allowed to drink coffee until our late teens.  (The same should be true of carbonated beverages today. No one under the age of 18 should be allowed to drink those carbonated beverages.)  When we were about 18 we were expected to drink coffee with pancakes and such.  As I got older my mother commented that she could not understand how I could drink milk with pancakes. But I had been forced to drink milk with pancakes before that time.

I never really liked coffee that much when I was younger.  When I was about 24 years old I started a job working a swing shift schedule. When the night shift rolled around (especially in the wintertime) I started drinking coffee a lot. It helped keep me alert and it was nice to have something warm to wrap my hands around. I couldn't take it out into the plant where it was sometimes single digit temperatures that I had to work in, but it sure felt good when I came inside to warm up.

Trouble is I started having migraine headaches.  They first started when I was about 12 and I figured out that cheese was the cause.  When they started again and I was not eating cheese I figured out it was coffee that was the culprit this time. I later found out that some cheese contains tyramine which is a baso-reactant and the caffeine in coffee is also a baso-reactant which causes migraines. I still drink coffee but it is limited to 2 cups a day. The migraines stopped after I turned 40 years old. 

2 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Sometimes, a hit of caffeine helps a migraine.  Funny that.

I guess the 'hair of the dog' philosophy is not just for alcohol.  I have heard that drug addicts can relieve their withdrawal symptoms by taking the drug that caused the symptoms in the first place.

I wasn't sure it was the caffeine in the coffee at first.  Other foods I consumed which contained caffeine, such as carbonated beverages, did not cause migraines. A doctor told me about caffeine being a baso-reactant being the cause.

I'm sure I mentioned it in the other thread but its worth mentioning again. We once toured some of the coffee plantations on the Kona side of Hawaii's Big Island, the one with the active volcano. There are small plantations that are no larger than an average home and some large plantations that export coffee. They offer tastings and explain how coffee is grown, harvested and roasted. Its a wonderful adventure for a coffee lover.

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Pops use to tell us kids that if we drank coffee our heels would turn black and all of our kids would be born naked.

Pretty scary stuff...:eek:

So the babies in your family were all born fully clothed?! Fascinating!

In talking about coffee and migraines. I used to get migraines about once a month that would sometimes trigger nausea and vomiting. Sometimes I could just sense the night before I would get this, so I learned to refrain from drinking coffee until I felt better. If I drank coffee, it would make the feeling worse and increase the chance of vomiting. Now analgesics with caffeine typically work, so i do wonder if the acidity of coffee is a factor.

7 minutes ago, Katty said:

So the babies in your family were all born fully clothed?! Fascinating!

Nope, apparently we all had coffee. However, all the kids were born very young...:eek:

I don't like the way any stimulants make me feel (or crash). Its not worth going into adrenal fatigue. I do particularly enjoy the flavor varieties of Chai, although I don't drink them anymore as they also seem to cause muscle pain from autoimmune flare ups (probably the pepper), and I typically don't drink any black or green tea either. I limit it to caffeine free herbal teas: cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, licorice, peppermint, chamomile, catnip, citrus, etc. I also burn myself drinking anything hot, have to let it cool at least an hour... boring.

I'm surprised that, as a kid with ADHD & Tourettes, my parents allowed me to drink cappuccino or frappuccinos at all... along with those little tubs of creamer by themselves whenever they happened to be on a table at a restaurant... I would get completely itchy all over, my hair would stand on end, and I ran around like a psychotic little monster. I would use so much sugar in coffee or hot chocolate that they became syrup.

Edited by Myew