JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Beauty Queen Gives Up Crown After Being Told To Cover Up Tattoos

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2072 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/02/miss-phelan-sierra-leyde-tattoo/

ONTARIO (CBSLA) — A lifelong beauty show contestant in the high desert has found herself one crown short after her biggest title was rescinded, all over a tattoo.

Former Miss Phelan Sierra Leyde said she was looking forward to volunteering after she won the title last year at age 17.

She wasn’t thinking about the title when she decided to get a tattoo for her 18th birthday. 

She soon learned they did not sit well with the Phelan Chamber of Commerce. 

While I, of course, share Jehovah's view on matters, art is such a diverse subject and what one feels is beautiful others do not, but some tattoos go a lot deeper than just art ... it could be a constant reminder of dead loved ones ... while I don't get them either from the perspective that they are permanent and many do regret them ... I can understand some of the emotional reasons and of course here in NZ cultural reasons why someone would have them done.

I always remember a cartoon of someone in their youth getting a smiley face tattooed on them, and as they age, it turns to a sad face.

People in this system are very physical they have no hope, so making visual landmarks like headstones, totems, other carvings becomes all consuming - tattoos also would fall into that category for some.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

You should see this place. It's so rough. People uproot their tumbleweeds and throw them over the fence into their neighbors yard. Some of the roads are still unpaved. 

I'm surprised anyone cares about this girl's tattoos

1 hour ago, Cherie said:

You should see this place. It's so rough. People uproot their tumbleweeds and throw them over the fence into their neighbors yard. Some of the roads are still unpaved. 

I'm surprised anyone cares about this girl's tattoos

There's where she went wrong.  Instead of flowers, she should 

have gotten a tattoo of a tumbleweed rolling down an unpaved road. ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Well that’s the breaks . The sponsoring community has merely asked me hat she cover up her tats while “ in sash and crown”. What’s the big deal? As to Jehovah’s view , this particular set of Tattoos neither violates Jehovah’s standards nor would prevent baptism . But in some areas she would have to cover them up during the ministry and not in others.

1 hour ago, a3a27988 said:

Leviticus 19:28 say: You must not make cuts in your flesh for a dead person,*+ and you must not make tattoo markings on yourselves. I am Jehovah.

“. . .and they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.” Revelation 22:4
:whistling:

Just teasing...

However, I do appreciate this point when we quote scriptures.

*** be study 22 p. 153 par. 1 Scriptures Correctly Applied ***
WHEN teaching others, more is required than merely reading verses from the Bible. The apostle Paul wrote to his associate Timothy: “Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright.”—2 Tim. 2:15.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Leviticus 19:28 say: You must not make cuts in your flesh for a dead person,*+ and you must not make tattoo markings on yourselves. I am Jehovah.

Isn’t this verse talking about ritual laceration and tattooing? Here Jehovah forbids a particular religious practice.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I did some research on the practice of tattooing and I hope this is what you you are looking for.

Fads  In your article “Young People Ask . . . Fads—Should I Jump on the Bandwagon?” (December 8, 1994), you mentioned tattooing. I was surprised that you did not make reference to the command at Leviticus 19:28: “You must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves.”

L. D., United States

These words do indeed give a measure of insight into God’s thinking on this matter. Of course, Christians are not under the Mosaic Law. (Colossians 2:14Still, individuals would do well to bear this scripture in mind when deciding what to do in this regard. The reported health risks and the impression wearing a tattoo might give to others are additional factors that a Christian should weigh very seriously.—ED.

Edited by a3a27988

On 8/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, Stormswift said:

but some tattoos go a lot deeper than just art ... it could be a constant reminder of dead loved ones ..

I came pretty close to getting a tattoo after my son died. It would have been his initials and lifespan, like found on tombstones. He would have turned 25 today.

The other tat that I thought about would have been one end of a set of jumper cables, the ones used for starting a vehicle with a dead battery.  I wanted the clamps with a red circle with a slash across it...basically a 'do not jumpstart' tatoo...didn't get that one either. ...

Clearly there is more to the issue than can be covered properly in this forum. Individual study is proper. But so as to not give the wrong impression it should be clearly stated : meeely having a tattoo should not be viewed as either a sign of ones spirituality or current spiritual state nor a reason to withhold baptism or the means to express love for Jehovah in the ministry. ( personally I have known an Elder who had a visible tattoo on his hand and a missing finger ( associated with past affiliations : let the reader use discernment). I have also known an entire family who bore facial scarifications ( a cultural practice ) who currently devote themselves to Jehovah. I am not ashamed to call any “ Brother / Sister “ whom Jehovah has drawn to Him.  

All of that stated above I wish to encourage some who maybe reading to widen out their love to include all whom Jehovah is calling. 

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I came pretty close to getting a tattoo after my son died. It would have been his initials and lifespan, like found on tombstones. He would have turned 25 today.

The other tat that I thought about would have been one end of a set of jumper cables, the ones used for starting a vehicle with a dead battery.  I wanted the clamps with a red circle with a slash across it...basically a 'do not jumpstart' tatoo...didn't get that one either. ...

You have my sympathies.