JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kids do the Stupidest things.

Every once in a while by means of Google maps I return to the place I almost fell to my death in 1970. I was 19 and a carpenter apprentice working in Waikiki, HI on this 20 story building, now called Waikiki Resort Hotel. My job was putting together the forms for a short concrete wall that would along with a patio door separate the guest room from its patio. I did this job all the way from the 4th floor to the 19 floor. The 20th floor was all penthouse with different plan.

2088239343_WaikikiResortHotel1.jpg.fcf06abdb10269367feed988162c5d7e.jpg

1494409711_WaikikiResortHotel2.jpg.27bb453b18e9a9bdfc0a3198155487a1.jpg

Do you see the curved part of each end of the patios? Working above the 15th floor one day I was nailing a piece of plywood to the wall to which the form board would eventually nail to. I was standing on a saw horse when one of the legs slipped into the curved hole of the patio. The saw horse went off the building and I was out over the hole hanging onto for dear life a horizontal piece of rebar sticking out of the wall. As it bent I reached for another and finally made it to safety.  Them were the days of no safety equipment and minimal safety standards.  After 3 close calls like that I was finally laid off in the finishing stages of the building. The hardest $3.40 hour I ever made.  Every so often in the middle of the night, I suddenly sit up in bed in a cold sweat grabbing for that rebar.

Do you have any close calls from bad decisions you've made?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

8 hours ago, rocket said:

Do you have any close calls from bad decisions you've made?

There isn't enough time in the day to recount all of the stupid things I've done....:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When my husband and I were newlyweds, he had 20 Holstein heifers and was planning to turn them into a dairy herd.

In order to make milk, the heifers had to have calves.  In order to have calves, there needed to be a Holstein bull.  So, he bought one and placed it in the pasture with his heifers.

Well, the heifers did not like this newcomer and proceeded to beat the snot out of him.  In order to save the bull from further injury, my husband decided that we should herd him into the barn.

We got the bull in the barn and my hubby told me to close the door.

When I turned my back on the bull, he charged me and crushed me up against the barn's fieldstone wall.  The bull was just about to  charge again, when our neighbor jumped in front of it and saved me from getting every bone in my spine crushed and maybe from even being killed.

Moral of the story...Even badly wounded and physically whipped bulls are extremely dangerous, so never turn your back on them.

My hubby learned that he should introduce a new animal to the herd a few at a time and not all at once.

I learned that Holstein bulls can't be trusted and to never place myself in such a potentially hazardous position ever again...at least, not without a cape and a sword.

Screenshot_2018-11-06-09-57-16.thumb.jpg.e52708af571812c32984f9c9efd4fd25.jpg

🤕

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

35 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

There isn't enough time in the day to recount all of the stupid things I've done....:(

Must be quite a list but surely you could share ONE. It doesn't have to be the stupidest, just stupid. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, rocket said:

Must be quite a list but surely you could share ONE. It doesn't have to be the stupidest, just stupid. :lol: 

My brother and I use to make bombs...:whistling:

Dad had a tin of calcium carbide in his workshop. calcium carbide and water make acetylene gas. Mom had cases of baby food jars that she used for canning.

2 boys+calcium carbide+water+baby food jars+matches= Well, I'll let you do the math. I'm surprised we survived some of our experiments...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, rocket said:

Them were the days of no safety equipment and minimal safety standards.

Lets see..

There was the time I was working for a sub-contractor at a Chevron refinery and we were installing pipe support shoes on overhead piping. I used a manlift to climb onto a pipe rack about 30 feet up, as I was crawling across the pipes I heard a car slam on its brakes on the road below me. A man yelled at me to get down, so I did. After I was safely on the ground he told me I was headed for some high voltage lines that were just above the pipe rack. If he hadn't stopped me, I'd probably be a crispy critter...

56 minutes ago, rocket said:

It doesn't have to be the stupidest, just stupid.

Tim can tell you about the time we dipped an M-80 in glue then rolled it in BB's. We used a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot it into a tree full of crows. It defoliaged the tree. I'm just glad it didn't have a short fuse...:whistling:

Edited by Tortuga

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Tim can tell you about the time we dipped an M-80 in glue then rolled it in BB's. We used a Wrist Rocket slingshot to shoot it into a tree full of crows. It defoliaged the tree. I'm just glad it didn't have a short fuse...:whistling:

Sounds bad, and stupid. But I have no idea what an M-80 is and so it’s a bit lost in translation. Basically you set fire to the tree? Yeah, stupid. 

25 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Basically you set fire to the tree?

No, the M-80 is a military firecracker used in warfare simulations and the BBs glued to it acted like a large shotgun blast...

16 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Maniac!! 🤣

Nah....just stupid kids. We also liked to drop a firecracker down a piece of pipe and roll a marble in after it to see if it would shoot like a rifle. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't...:)

Never..ever..look down the pipe to see if the firecracker is still lit...:eek:

Edited by Tortuga

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Nah....just stupid kids. We also liked to drop a firecracker down a piece of pipe and roll a marble in after it to see if it would shoot like a rifle. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't...:)

Never..ever..look down the pipe to see if the firecracker is still lit...:eek:

They don't call ya 3 fingered Ricky Dick for nothing.😂

1 minute ago, tekmantwo said:

Oh,....hi there..:wave:

Hey, remember when we use to drop nails out of the back of dads truck on the freeway?

This thread is about kids doing dumb things isn't it?:whistling:

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My brother and I use to make bombs...

So, would filling a 5 gallon Sparklets bottle with oxy/ acetylene mix and stuffing it inside a portable outhouse and then throwing a burning rag on it qualify?...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually can't recall any dangerous things in my life. I was always too afraid to do certain things. I've never climbed a tree in my life, and I would even get scared being put on someone's shoulders as a child, begging to be put down because of how unstable I felt up there.

I used to look at other kids my age doing dangerous things and I would say to myself "you idiots!" Lol.

5 hours ago, EccentricM said:

I actually can't recall any dangerous things in my life. I was always too afraid to do certain things. I've never climbed a tree in my life, and I would even get scared being put on someone's shoulders as a child, begging to be put down because of how unstable I felt up there.

I used to look at other kids my age doing dangerous things and I would say to myself "you idiots!" Lol.

Sounds like intelligence in youth.😉