JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library on Samsung Galaxy S2

Wierd stuff on my tablet all of a sudden.

The highlighting and notes feature has stopped working properly.

When I first switch the tablet on, I may be able to highlight one sentence of text. But then, the right click menu does not appear, or may appear occasionally, but none of the functions work. I can edit existing notes, but cannot add any new ones. 

I thought it was a memory issue, but, I am able create notes as normal on my Win10 PC, then I can import a full set of new notes from there to the tablet. These appear on the tablet and can be accessed and edited. 

I have reinstalled the JW Library app, but no change. I am on the brink of doing a factory reset and starting all over, but just thought I would check here in case anyone else has experienced/resolved this issue.

Can anyone help?

Just a note, I have used the JW Library reporting form and received this reply:

Dear Eoin,

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that this form is not used for requesting help with JW Library. However, if you reported a bug we will do our best to fix it as soon as possible.

If you need help using JW Library, your friends who have experience using the app may be able to offer assistance.

Thank you,

JW Library

Have you been able to look at the settings to see how much free internal memory you have, and also how much space on the sd card (if you have one).

The tab S2 is getting a bit old, so what version of Android are you using? Maybe the JW lib app is having issues with your OS version. Perhaps you could let us know the Android OS version and the Lib app version... Cheers

Older {waiting for wiser}

I don't think it's the S2. I'm having the same issue on my J7.

I highlight, but I can't bring up the menu. So I restart the app and my highlight has vanished, so I do it again; and it takes nine tries to get to the 'comment' page. I actually came here to see if anyone had any advice. Glad to know it's not just me.

10 hours ago, Eoin said:

When I first switch the tablet on, I may be able to highlight one sentence of text. But then, the right click menu does not appear, or may appear occasionally, but none of the functions work. I can edit existing notes, but cannot add any new ones. 

I thought it was a memory issue, but, I am able create notes as normal on my Win10 PC, then I can import a full set of new notes from there to the tablet. These appear on the tablet and can be accessed and edited. 

I have reinstalled the JW Library app, but no change. I am on the brink of doing a factory reset and starting all over, but just thought I would check here in case anyone else has experienced/resolved this issue.

Can anyone help?

My wife and I are also having problems on our android tablets since Sat.12/08/2018.  Highlighting disappears. I think it has to do with an app update but not sure.

Edited by rocket

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I suspect that it is a problem with the last update, as others have experienced similar errors. This will only be fixed by the supplier.

In the meantime, may I please suggest the following:
Install a program called All-In-One Toolbox. (See pic)

It can move programs from you tablet to your sd card. It can clear cache and a few other tricks. It may correct some residual problems.

I also found the following hints for the Tab S2:-
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_S2_9.7_Troubleshooting

Hope this helps.

Agape 976cf35b20a6c2eea71c698a1cb91602.jpg

Older {waiting for wiser}

On 12/10/2018 at 2:59 PM, Eoin said:

Can anyone help?

I have the exact same problem. I can't study anymore 😭

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (Model SM-T350)

38 minutes ago, richterbelmont10 said:

I have the exact same problem. I can't study anymore 😭

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (Model SM-T350)

This is nearly the same as mine .. I have the SM-T585.  I haven't updated yet so I think I will hold off for now. 

It is rather worrying that you can't study at the moment but I'm sure the brothers will sort it out soon.

Do you have JWLibrary on your phone that you haven't updated yet?  

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

This is nearly the same as mine .. I have the SM-T585.  I haven't updated yet so I think I will hold off for now. 

It is rather worrying that you can't study at the moment but I'm sure the brothers will sort it out soon.

Do you have JWLibrary on your phone that you haven't updated yet?  

I have JW Library on my iPhone which works just fine. But I'm so used to studying on a nice big tablet that it feels weird to study and take notes on my tiny little phone! It's an idea though. I'm trying to see maybe I can use Microsoft Word to study and do underlining and note-taking on my tablet.

Hey I think I may have found a solution!! 

In the Google Play Store, if you go to the JW Library App and check more information, there's a bit about how the highlighting problems is a known issue. I attached a screenshot. It seems the problem is being caused by a Chrome update. I uninstalled my Chrome update and it seems to have fixed the problem! 

To remove Chrome updates, this is what I did (although steps may differ depending on your device):

-Go to Settings (swipe down from the top of your screen and tap the Gear icon)

-In the list on the left, tap on "Apps"

-In the list on the right, find and tap "Chrome"

-On the top-right there should be "Three Dots" icon. Tap on that and tap "Uninstall updates"

-Tap "Yes" or "Ok" and Chrome will uninstall its updates.

I suppose you can just uninstall Chrome altogether to avoid this. But I use Chrome a lot so I did it this way. Note that your device may still automatically update Chrome, thus causing the JW Library problems to reoccur.

If you want to disable Chrome from automatically updating itself:

-Go to Google Play Store

-In the Search box, search for "Google Chrome"

-Tap on the multicolored wheel icon that represents the Chrome program (it should be the first result in the search)

-On the top-right there should be a "Three Dots" icon. Tap on that and uncheck the box called "Enable auto update"

Now Chrome will not update anymore. Of course, once the brothers fix the problem with JW Library, you may want to re-enable Chrome's auto-updates. In which case, just follow the same steps above and enable the check box "Enable auto update".

Hope this helps!

Screenshot_20181211-211553.jpg

5 hours ago, richterbelmont10 said:

"Think" is not the word!

This fix works perfectly on my tablet and has restored both its functionality and my sanity!

Thanks a lot for posting. You have proved the worth of such a forum as this to me.

😊

15 hours ago, richterbelmont10 said:

uninstalled my Chrome update and it seems to have fixed the problem! 

I have not experienced this highlighting issue. It must be because I uninstalled Chrome updates months ago because I needed more storage in my 8GB phone and tablet!:coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

18 hours ago, richterbelmont10 said:

You certainly DID. This is my first post in this forum. This morning I started looking for anyone in this forum that had this frustrating experience with the lost functionality of the text highlighting and I am glad I found it. Thanks to your clear instruction I was able to restore all the  lost functions that I love to use.  Many, many, many (3 times for emphasis) thanks, richterbelmont10. 

Hmm. Well, I was just doing my WT for this week and I found all my highlighting kept disappearing. As I highlighted one section of the paragraph, a previous highlighted section would disappear; also, I couldn't change colours the box wouldn't come up after I had highlighted a section. 

I went to Google Play and there's an update for Chrome, which I didn't do, but no update for JW Library, so I don't know what's going on. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

7 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Hmm. Well, I was just doing my WT for this week and I found all my highlighting kept disappearing. As I highlighted one section of the paragraph, a previous highlighted section would disappear; also, I couldn't change colours the box wouldn't come up after I had highlighted a section. 

I went to Google Play and there's an update for Chrome, which I didn't do, but no update for JW Library, so I don't know what's going on. 

What version of Chrome do you have?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That's the version of Chrome they say is causing the problem. 

There doesn't seem to be an option on my tablet to uninstall updates, just to remove Chrome completely.  Maybe I should try the new update and see if that fixes it.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, Eoin said:

Can anyone help?

This is on the Play Store:

Some users are experiencing a problem with highlighting in JW Library. This started happening after installing an update to Google Chrome 71.0.3578.83.
There are two options.
1. We are currently working on a fix which should be available soon.
2. From the Google Play app, uninstall the updates to Google Chrome.

8 hours ago, futurepromise said:

This started happening after installing an update to Google Chrome 71.0.3578.83.

I checked our 4 Android devices and the oldest device was the only one with that version of Chrome. 

Weird...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D