JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does Anyone Use a Laptop at the Meetings?

Meetings/Assemblies

I was curious if anyone uses a Laptop during the meetings instead of a tablet or phone?

If so, what size is your laptop? The large iPad Pro is 12.9inch so I was thinking that a 13-12inch or smaller laptop may be nice to use especially because of the WT Library CD. I have considered the Microsoft Surface tablets, but they can be quite expensive or the older versions are not very powerful or quick compared to a laptop.

While a tablet is lighter, I was thinking that a small, light laptop may be fine, it is sturdier. During the meetings, the tablet can slide sometimes on my lap. And also the ease of typing on a laptop could be better for taking notes for talks/assemblies. I especially like the idea of being able to quickly copy the scriptures or referenced articles from the WT Library CD onto my notes. 

Talks

And also I was curious if any brothers use a small laptop when giving talks? Or if anyone has seen brothers in their congregation use a laptop for talks?

If you use a laptop for talks, do you recommend it or would a tablet be better? I have also seen a few sisters use a laptop during some midweek meeting parts. 

There is a powerful yet very light 13inch laptop I have been considering, so I will appreciate any input/thoughts/suggestions, thanks!  :)

702015035_univ_sqr_xl.jpg

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I had a little Samsung netbook running Windows. But there were so many more options on Android, that I found a tablet with Bluetooth keyboard more versatile.
Currently the Samsung Tab 6 with keyboard would be my preferred choice.
Windows has lost ground in the Mobile market, although it is now getting back into it. However my personal preference would be Android now.

Just Older

My oldest daughter uses a Surface Pro and loves it

We do have a few in our Hall that use a small laptop at the meetings because they wanted Windows and the WTL.

I have not seen anyone use one for a talk in a long time - most Brothers that use electronics on the platform use their tablet or phone to read scriptures or even the WT or BS material ... but they use a tablet for giving their talks.

I do not have a laptop that works - so, I use a tablet and my phone ... both Android

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

My oldest daughter uses a Surface Pro and loves it

Thanks for your post. :)

Your daughter uses the Surface Pro tablet or Laptop at the meeting?

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I bought an 11" laptop when I first started using digital devices.  I held it like a book (keyboard to the left, screen to the right).  I installed a 'Rotate" app to turn the full display shown to a "portrait" mode.  It was fairly light and I enjoyed using it.  I was able to then use it as a small laptop at other time.  Now I use an 11" tablet (with or without keyboard) and I usually hold it in the "landscape" mode horizontally.

At the time, the laptop battery did not last as long as the tablet battery.  The tablet had a better screen resolution.  Except in special meetings (like an LDC training program) I never used a large laptop at a meeting.  One older brother used his 15 1/2" laptop at my last Pioneer school.

Edited by jwhess

My daughter's Surface Pro is a tablet

Our Cong Sec also uses a Surface Pro tablet. He had a iPad - guess he still does, but he changed to the Surface to be able to run WIndows, all his windows apps and the WTL as well as multiple app sharing the screen at the same time

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 9/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Thanks for your comments so far.  :)

Maybe it is very rare that someone uses a small laptop at the meeting? :confused:

I haven't seen anyone using the laptop in our hall. I would love to use it though. When I have assignments on the platform I use my iPad, otherwise the iPhone.

5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Do the keys on a physical keyboard make a lot of noise? I’ve only ever had cheap, clanky laptops.

Good question but no, the newer laptops have a quiet keyboard

I'm using a Surface Go and love it. It's the 8GB RAM/128GB SSD version. Got it for $379 openbox at Best Buy. Got the keyboard for $49 used on Amazon and pen for $24.95 also from Amazon.

I had previously used iPads for many years, and find the flexibility the surface provides makes it a much more useful tool.

I can run the full WT library on it and have installed it on the 256GB SD card installed into the surface, along with Microsoft Office 2019, KHS, and JW library.

Also love being able to highlight with the pen, and select content with it and paste it into the notes in JW library.

Now to the downside, it's battery life. With an iPad, you get 10-11 hours, with surface, it's about 6-7 hours. I found a small battery pack though that gets me another 4-5 hours that connects to USB-C port.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jarred said:

I'm using a Surface Go and love it.

Hi Jarred, 

Thank you for your post and the details about the Surface Go. :)

I keep hearing good things about the Surface Pro and the Surface Go. The battery life doesn't sound too bad for the "Go", but how about the speed of the WT Library and the internet/browsers? Close to the speed of a laptop or much slower?

I have a Dell XPS with an i7 processor as my main computer for heavy duty work (Video and Photo editing, kind of my hobby).

However, for everything else, I find myself using my Surface Go more and more. It runs WT and JW library well, as well as Microsoft Office.

I also use it for secular work to take notes with Microsoft OneNote at customer appointments. OneNote also works great at the meetings, and I run it split screen with JW library.

Chrome runs well for browsing.

Be sure though to get the 8GB ram/128GB SSD version and NOT the 4GB ram/64GB MMC version. There is a big difference in the performance, I would say around 25%...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jarred said:

I have a Dell XPS with an i7 processor as my main computer for heavy duty work (Video and Photo editing, kind of my hobby).
Be sure though to get the 8GB ram/128GB SSD version and NOT the 4GB ram/64GB MMC version. There is a big difference in the performance, I would say around 25%...

Thanks Jarred for also mentioning the Dell XPS, that actually is 1 of the laptops I have been considering.  Actually I was thinking of the 13inch and hoping that it would be a fine size to take to the meetings, not being to big? Are you happy with the XPS?

And you have a very good suggestion about not getting the MMC version, thank you. :)