JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Orthodox Church Splits

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1883 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This certainly is interesting.  Ukraine Orthodox has split from Russian Orthodox Church, sanctioned by the main Orthodox body in Istanbul.  All political of course (don't mention the war).

The Constantinople-Moscow split is a difficult issue for many Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe, Mr Shterin says. And their leaders will have to take sides.

The Serbian Church is close to Moscow; the Greek Church less so, but many Greek clergy feel close to both Russia and Serbia.

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

This certainly is interesting.  Ukraine Orthodox has split from Russian Orthodox Church, sanctioned by the main Orthodox body in Istanbul.  All political of course (don't mention the war).

:lol:  Sorry .. you really shouldn't quote Basil in a serious conversation. It turns everything into a comedy for me. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 1 month later...

because Russian's orthodox church refused to condemn their aggresor government even when they know a lot people who has same religion with them in ukraine

they just keep silent, and ukrainian people see this a sign of silent.

I know the topic is about the Russian Orthodox church v. Ukraine Orthodox church.

However, I read that the United Methodist General Conference is having a special session this month, February 2019, to vote on a plan regarding same-sex marriage and the acceptance of LGBTQ clergy in the church.

United Methodist was founded in 1968 and is the second largest Protestant denomination behind Southern Baptist.

One plan under consideration is to let each congregation decide for themselves. Perhaps a name change will be in order? The Methodist Cafeteria church? Pay at the door - Pick and Choose as you wish.

1 minute ago, Doug said:

LGBTQ clergy

Now there is a conundrum,  how does the UN outlaw religion without offending the gay community? Can't please everyone....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, EccentricM said:

"A priest in Kiev blesses Ukrainian troops setting off to fight the eastern rebels "

_103887399_kievpriestafp17mar15.jpg

_103887400_ruspriestafp26nov14.jpg

Everytime this still gets me in bewielderment, to think they think Jesus or God approves of such.

This was why my husband came out of UK's RAF as a conscientious objector. He saw this going on there. In fact a British clergyman becoming a pastor in the RAF can automatically get the high rank of Wing Commander - good wages and perks as well.

My husband was reading the Bible himself - he was not a JW when he got honorable discharge as a conscientious objector from the Royal Air Force, Swinderby;Scanton;Finningly;Catterick. They were sad to let him go as he had had 2 promotions and they said he would have made a good sargeant. 2 years later (1977) he was called on by a local pioneer and Circuit Overseer and his study was started, 6 months later baptised and pioneering a year after that - been an elder a number of years now. 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Doug said:

However, I read that the United Methodist General Conference is having a special session this month

I came here to say just that xD 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/02/22/will-nations-third-largest-church-split-up-over-lgbt-debate-leaders-try-reach-an-answer/?utm_term=.936fdbb450cf

"This meeting is the first time the church called a special session on a single topic . . . since 1970. That year, the topic was merging another denomination into the United Methodist Church. This time, the topic is whether to break apart."