JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Court case in Sweden Regarding Our Convention videos.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1731 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Interesting...the LBGQ movement is clearly testing the legal waters in one of the most liberal countries on earth.  Having seen what happened in Russia anything is possible, the tribulations set to be a very bumpy ride and the bumps will come, I'm convinced from all directions, including accusations of our material being classified as "hate speech".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm staggered at the speed that the whole gay marriage law change phenomenon has spread worldwide and the impact it's having – like falling dominos.

It could be described as the slippery slope down which the world is travelling.

Funny thing about slippery slopes... the rate of decline usually accelerates, aided by gravity and generally followed by a sudden impact.

Edited by Dave

On 3/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, Thesauron said:

I really don’t know if the journalist who wrote this article, Jesper Lindqvist, is gay or not, or if he’s an ex-Witness. (What gave you that idea?) As for articles you come to by clicking on any other links, I don’t know about those either, The ‘Metro’ is a respected newspaper.

Reread the comment “ other links” does not refer to the Author of this article. 

On 3/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

As usual, your logic shines through Johan. You’re right. We don’t know how this will go. I’ve mentioned one way this could be manipulated by the powers that be to limit our activity via the videos shown at public meetings. And the protection of vulnerable people does not obviously extend to anyone who may feel bullied by the satirical news show. Here is where the logic part fails, and there is the opportunity for this to go pear shaped, in a world run by Satan.

But we know Jehovah finds a way out for us.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:16 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Regardless of the society we live under, whether liberal ones or not, we will be hated by their residents due to John 15:18, 19.  So we can see the seeds of this hatred seeping into the culture of more liberal societies even now,  because eventually we expect to be banned and persecuted like other lands.

In the past, the more liberal societies, such as the US,  allowed the work to be re-started in the late 1800's.  It served its purpose, as the truth could hardly be expected to have seeded and grown in the repressed Tsarist regime, for instance.  Now, though, liberal societies pay lip service to the morals of the Bible.  It is incredulous, sometimes, how insane things are heading morally speaking, in the more liberal lands.  It's getting to the point where there is a court case in Sweden regarding our videos shown to minors in a public setting and how minorities are disputing being 'negatively" portrayed in them.

Funny thing is , ( granted it’s the two videos on the subject of which I’m thinking) One has a child’s happy drawing of two smiling mommies , the other has a group of activist women at a sales event , neither actually directly portrays LGTB people in a  negative light.  And in the second one mentioned I’m struggling to recall any actual reference beyond perhaps some use of the ubiquitous rainbow symbols. Pretty gentle references all around.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, Thesauron said:

The verdict is expected on April 3. The Tingsrätten (district court, crown court) is first instance.

So, any news on this? It is a little odd that we have freedom to say whatever we see fit from the platform, but we need aproval to teach the same thing using a video.

So, any news on this? It is a little odd that we have freedom to say whatever we see fit from the platform, but we need aproval to teach the same thing using a video.

In the first instance, the brother was fined, but I’m certain it’s not the end of this case.

Videos are generally considered to have greater influence. Hence films are rated, but not books.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 months later...

Jehovah's Witnesses continue to watch movies despite court conviction

Published July 23, 2019

Despite the Jehovah's Witnesses being convicted in district court for showing films that have not been reviewed by the State Media Council, the organization continues to have its film screenings during its summer meetings. According to Jehovah's Witnesses, they have support in law for the screenings, but that does not stop opponents and several new police reports have been filed.

A dialogue between a mother and her daughter from the video "One man and one woman":

- Carrie drew two mommies. She told me they’re married to each other. My teacher says that all that matters is that people love each other, and that they’re happy.

The mother replies:

- Well, people have their own ideas about what is right and wrong. But what matters is how Jehovah feels. He wants us to be happy, and he knows how we can be happiest. That’s why he invented marriage the way he did.

Multi-million industry in the United States

The video clip is just one example of the films Jehovah's Witnesses created with the goal of reaching out to their children. In the US, where the films are made, it is a multi-million industry and on the Swedish website alone there are 365 films.

Film screening is a big part of Jehovah's Witnesses' sermons, and that's why opponents of the congregation have brought the screenings to court.

[...]

District Court: Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to show films

In April, an assembly leader was convicted in the district court for showing films for children in a trade fair building, films that had not been reviewed by the State Media Council. The judgment has been appealed by Jehovah's Witnesses, citing religious freedom and freedom of speech, among other things. Awaiting a ruling in the Court of Appeals, the congregation continues to show the films at its major meetings.

“We do not think it was the legislature's intention to classify religious teaching videos shown in connection with religious gatherings. The court clearly stated that the State Media Council had no knowledge that any religious community had submitted films for preview. Therefore, the district court's decision has been appealed. For the conventions this year, we have gone beyond what is required, and registered a publishing certificate with the Swedish Press and Broadcasting Authority," writes Dag-Erik Kristoffersen, press spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses in Scandinavia, in a written commentary to SVT Nyheter.

But freedom of speech expert Nils Funcke believes that Jehovah's Witnesses have misinterpreted the law.

- If films are intended to be shown to the public and it is aimed at children then a review is required by the media council.

Translated from SVT Nyheter.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

When things lie this happen its common that ex jw's or apostates are interviewd. After the success fmthe IC herenin Lisbon, several cases appeared on tv an news magazines. In the Nov WT we have a good reminder in relation to media news or tv shows that spread lies about us. the best actoon is just to shut it off

image.thumb.png.c64027b6ce66a3ac4f4d4322819c0a4a.png

When things lie this happen its common that ex jw's or apostates are interviewd. After the success fmthe IC herenin Lisbon, several cases appeared on tv an news magazines. In the Nov WT we have a good reminder in relation to media news or tv shows that spread lies about us. the best actoon is just to shut it off
image.thumb.png.c64027b6ce66a3ac4f4d4322819c0a4a.png

Hence their comments ere removed. But the report about the court case still stands. There is a court case, and we keep showing our films because we think it’s the right thing to do. It makes it trickier, though, to rent buildings for our conventions.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Let us know how the appeal goes.

Things are so opposite here in the US. Films for kids in school are intentionally aimed at degrading the morals of the young. Actually that seems true of all media these days.

Soon the real Supreme Court will rule (Acts 17:31) and end the insanity.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 3/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, Thesauron said:

This week we were made fun because of this trial of on a satirical news show on national television. It was factually wrong and more like bullying. But the sad thing is that many people distrust real news media so much that they actually prefer to get their news from shows like these.

People in the US have shifted from untrustworthy “ real” news networks to untrustworthy Satirical News and entertainment.  Choosing whatever reinforces their bias. 

People in the US have shifted from untrustworthy “ real” news networks to untrustworthy Satirical News and entertainment.  Choosing whatever reinforces their bias. 

Some chose to believe what they read on Facebook or hear from friends, and feel that s enough, which you even hear from friends. That’s their bias. The truth is hard to get at but not impossible, if you put your mind to it a little bit.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”