JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sri Lankan Blasts

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1797 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

23 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

This has just happened. 

Dozens dead, hundreds hurt in attacks on Sri Lankan churches, hotels

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-21/sri-lanka-church-hotel-bombed-explosions-colombo/11034476

Bomb blasts timed to go off during Easter Services. 

I just saw, its over 100 dead, at least 300 injured.

Also unconfirmed reports of bombs being defused at other locations....

C'mon Gods Kingdom!!!

27 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

This has just happened. 

Dozens dead, hundreds hurt in attacks on Sri Lankan churches, hotels

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-21/sri-lanka-church-hotel-bombed-explosions-colombo/11034476

Bomb blasts timed to go off during Easter Services. 

Yes very true.kind of crackdown on Christianity in Sri lanka

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2019/04/21/opinion/christians-and-religious-freedom-under-fire

Fast Facts—Sri Lanka

20,967,913—Population

6,482—Ministers who teach the Bible

115—Congregations

1 to 3,235—Ratio of Jehovah’s Witnesses to population

That's roughly 10x better than the ratio in India. I really hope our brothers won't be affected by this

At least 138 people were killed and hundreds injured in explosions across Sri Lanka on Sunday morning, the Christian holy day of Easter. Three churches and three hotels were targeted.

I do hope none of our brothers were affected or nearby. Either way, it is a sad road his world is going down. We are glad a brand new world is waiting for us down the road WE are walking.

Do Not Be Afraid in Sinhala

Do Not Be Afraid in Tamil

Edited by Thesauron

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Horrible situation just watched on CNN. We were in the Special Convention in Sri Lanka last year. We weren't allowed to do territory with the friends due to on-going religions conflicts but as mentioned in a recent broadcast this was their first special convention. We've reached out to several in the country to see how they are doing. 

I wonder if these continued attacks against religion will be the catalyst for the GT - cry of peace and security. This is definitely something the governments (worldwide) and Pope church leaders condemn - something they all agree on. Just tragic news. It breaks my heart. :(

32 minutes ago, GraceH said:

I wonder if these continued attacks against religion will be the catalyst for the GT - cry of peace and security. 

It definitely adds fuel to the argument that the violence and injustice that takes place in this world boils down to [false] religion.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

26 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-blasts-curfew-idUSKCN1RX08P

Curfew, social media shut down. With things as they are today, things can actually change overnight! , 

Thats what being discussed in my pioneer's school. 

Things will happen overnight. 

I find it interesting that both the Christchurch bombing and this one mentioned in the news that it was an end to peace in those countries. Sri Lanka said decade of peace.

Fires said as accidents,  bombings that no group has stepped up to claim yet but that the authorities conveniently know that it was targeting Christians despite hotels being bombed too. Can I go back to my conspiracy theory that the government and police are doing it and then pretending to know nothing about it and give a public outcry? I know it’s far fetched but the coincidences are just so weird. 🤔

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

207 dead and 450 hurt now in eight blasts. On CNN’s live updates page shows 7.4% Christian denomination and seems to be their main target.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/sri-lanka-easter-sunday-explosions-dle-intl/index.html

Sri Lanka's minority Christian community appear to be the main target of the Easter Sunday attacks that risk upsetting the country's fragile post-war peace. 

Christianity is a minority religion in Sri Lanka, accounting for less than 10% of the total population of 21.4 million.

According to census data:

• 70.2% of Sri Lankans identify as Buddhist
  • 12% Hindu
  • 9.7% Muslim
  • 7.4% Christian. It is estimated that 82% of Sri Lankan Christians are Roman Catholic.

45 minutes ago, Nirex said:

Can I go back to my conspiracy theory that the government and police are doing it and then pretending to know nothing about it and give a public outcry? . 

The thought should be shocking , but sadly isn't anymore.

Authority and corruption "are one flesh" , so to speak.

7 minutes ago, JennyM said:

Since the start of 2019. churches are being bombed and on fire.. 

Mosques are being attacked  and was set on fire too... 

Great tribulation is really about to happen.. Thats what the talk says. 

Which talk?

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

As much as the conspiracy theorist in me wants to figuratively take all the coincidental evens, tack them on a wall and start drawing connections. I guess.. this one makes sense if someone wanted to attack a lot of people. It's Easter Sunday, the most people would be in hotels from traveling for the weekend, and churches for huge gatherings to celebrate. Thus the best places to target for someone wanting to cause damage. Just like there's been Superbowl bombings, marathon, and other places of crowds. It's still a huge glaring coincidence though.

Edited by Nirex

typo

10 hours ago, Suzi said:

Re-reading the article, I don't think it was the Memorial Talk. I'm betting it was a tie-in to something. It would explain why the hall was so packed, and why the meeting time was moved.

Whatever the case, it happened to be today, that the hall was empty half an hour sooner?

God has this well in hand. Good to know, for the future.

Can I go back to my conspiracy theory that the government and police are doing it and then pretending to know nothing about it and give a public outcry? I know it’s far fetched but the coincidences are just so weird. 

Turns out there was a written warning issued well ahead of the bombings and the Sri Lankan government decided to ignore it. Interpol is set to investigate the matter. So in this case it looks like either a huge blunder occurred or it was a welcome catalyst they decided to "let it happen". So yeah, though you should be careful about spreading assumptions, its not too outrageous to make them.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

On 4/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, Suzi said:

Today, a shooting at a synagogue  in California  1 dead 3 injured,  seems to be a daily thing!