JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any home recordist musicians here?

I'd like to know if there are any musicians on here (there must be!) :-) Would be fun to hear from you, especially if you are into recording. I play keys myself and am practicing guitar just a little bit from time to time. My main thing is producing and mixing, though. A dream I have is to hook up with fellow worshippers of Jehova and make some cool tracks!

Mostly I do non-mainstream dance styles like drum & bass, breakbeat, proper house and techno (a bit strange as I don't go to clubs anymore after discovering the Truth, but dance music is still a source of joy to me). However, I make more accessible tunes from time to time as well. Here is one example:

Do you play an instrument, sing, write songs and/or produce music?

Edited by Norbro

4 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

I enjoyed very very much. Beautiful. Just beautiful. 

Sincere thanks, Dilip, that means a lot. The song almost wrote itself. I am Norwegian and it was exciting every time I looked up the English translation of a scripture I wanted to reference in the lyrics, wondering if they would work. Turns out (unsurprisingly) the Bible is so poetic and musical that they always did. It was a fun experience 🙂

@rylem That's cool, so when you play do you put together chords in different ways or do you always play existing songs? How I started with chord progressions was to recycle single chords and pieces of progressions I had learnt from proper compositions and puzzle together new ones. A lot can be done with just two chords repeating. You can inject variation easily by inverting chords (changing the relative positions of notes within the chord, e.g. an E minor can be E-G-B but also G-B-E, G-E-B etc.). This is probably a lot easier on a piano than guitar, though.

Modern recording apps are fantastic for songwriting. Garageband is included if you have a Mac, and I'm sure there are free ones for Windows too. Many of the big DAW (digital audio workstation) apps have cut-down versions which are cheap or possibly free. I use Logic X myself which is like the big brother of Garageband. It can be daunting to get started with such apps so I'd be happy to help if someone would like to try.

When you say you would like to know more about the keys, do you mean the chords in my song? I can dig them out if you want them 🙂

11 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I am a musician and play a number of instruments, but I mostly sing. These days my recordings are limited to what the branch asks me to do.

That is awesome! No better use for your gifts :)

On 4/21/2019 at 10:16 PM, Norbro said:

I'd like to know if there are any musicians on here (there must be!) :-) Would be fun to hear from you, especially if you are into recording. I play keys myself and am practicing guitar just a little bit from time to time. My main thing is producing and mixing, though. A dream I have is to hook up with fellow worshippers of Jehova and make some cool tracks!

Mostly I do non-mainstream dance styles like drum & bass, breakbeat, proper house and techno (a bit strange as I don't go to clubs anymore after discovering the Truth, but dance music is still a source of joy to me). However, I make more accessible tunes from time to time as well. Here is one example:

I thought I was going to be the one to post something like this... but yeah, producer right here as well! I was really into the dance music scene for a couple years, (make melodic house/future bass stuff) but I gradually lost interest in finding music in those genres for some reason. It wasn't even about the potentially dangerous culture of electronic dance music, I just really dozed off xD

I still produce to this day of course, which is one of my main hobbies- recently I make more chill/instrumental hip hop stuff, but I'm interested in going back for a bigger sound soon. 😃

Glad to meet you! What DAW (digital audio workstation) do you use, if I may ask?

@rlyem I tried to find the chords for you, but it seems the project files for this song are on my old computer. Will let you know if I find them 😉 

@Jmatthews Ahoy there! :) 

I am excited to hear your work. I use Logic myself. Have tried recent versions of Reaper and Bitwig, but Logic always seems to pull me back because I have all my key commands set up and know where everything is. Maybe I'm just too old to bother learning new software, lol. That said, I really liked Bitwig's modulation functionality, it's fantastic for sound design.

I'll contact you via direct message to keep the thread tidy.

However, there is one topic I find interesting which would be interesting to hear others' opinions on as well:

What do you think about making aggressive/moody music as a way of processing negative feelings? I find this subject difficult because some of the music I make is rather brutal or sinister and some fellow witnesses would probably find it worrying and inappropriate. Not because of the lyrics (most of the music is without vocals anyway), but due to the loud drums, distorted bass and sometimes eerie noises.

The thing is that because of a neck injury and post traumatic anxiety (violent threats), my everyday life consists of pain and fear and trying to distract myself from them. My level of functioning is extremely low for a 37-year old, but it's not apparent when looking at me. My wife is doing pretty much all the work around the house despite being 100% disabled herself. When I manage to come to the meeting I feel the void between my reality and the others' is so vast it brings me to tears, and the fact that my issues are "invisible" just makes things worse. Apart from medication, which I hate having to take (feels unclean), the only distraction strong enough to make me forget my pains is making music. 

So this darker music that comes out when I'm in "the hole" is like screaming IT HURTS. I have prayed over and over to Jehovah to help me guide my conscience, and I feel He understands, like He is saying I should not be too hard on myself. But I'm not sure I can trust my feelings. My anxious thoughts are so chaotic that every prayer is a battle to form the thoughts I want to communicate, and reading the Bible is difficult too. It makes me feel like a complete failure. I beg of Jehovah to see all the things I would do if I had the capacity, like I did when my health was better. But the thought "could I do more? I should do more" is looping in my mind. Is the music that comes out of me therapeutic or harmful?

Relevant scriptures would be most welcome 🙏

4 hours ago, Norbro said:

@rlyem I tried to find the chords for you, but it seems the project files for this song are on my old computer. Will let you know if I find them 😉 

@Jmatthews Ahoy there! :) 

I am excited to hear your work. I use Logic myself. Have tried recent versions of Reaper and Bitwig, but Logic always seems to pull me back because I have all my key commands set up and know where everything is. Maybe I'm just too old to bother learning new software, lol. That said, I really liked Bitwig's modulation functionality, it's fantastic for sound design.

I'll contact you via direct message to keep the thread tidy.

However, there is one topic I find interesting which would be interesting to hear others' opinions on as well:

What do you think about making aggressive/moody music as a way of processing negative feelings? I find this subject difficult because some of the music I make is rather brutal or sinister and some fellow witnesses would probably find it worrying and inappropriate. Not because of the lyrics (most of the music is without vocals anyway), but due to the loud drums, distorted bass and sometimes eerie noises.

The thing is that because of a neck injury and post traumatic anxiety (violent threats), my everyday life consists of pain and fear and trying to distract myself from them. My level of functioning is extremely low for a 37-year old, but it's not apparent when looking at me. My wife is doing pretty much all the work around the house despite being 100% disabled herself. When I manage to come to the meeting I feel the void between my reality and the others' is so vast it brings me to tears, and the fact that my issues are "invisible" just makes things worse. Apart from medication, which I hate having to take (feels unclean), the only distraction strong enough to make me forget my pains is making music. 

So this darker music that comes out when I'm in "the hole" is like screaming IT HURTS. I have prayed over and over to Jehovah to help me guide my conscience, and I feel He understands, like He is saying I should not be too hard on myself. But I'm not sure I can trust my feelings. My anxious thoughts are so chaotic that every prayer is a battle to form the thoughts I want to communicate, and reading the Bible is difficult too. It makes me feel like a complete failure. I beg of Jehovah to see all the things I would do if I had the capacity, like I did when my health was better. But the thought "could I do more? I should do more" is looping in my mind. Is the music that comes out of me therapeutic or harmful?

This is also one thing I thought about every once in awhile- although I only make instrumental music, (haven't gotten around to actually recording a song xD) some of it sound quite aggressive. But to be honest, I just really make it that way cuz it sounds cool- the sound design that goes into making awesome synth basses and sounds are really commendable.

I've read many artists say that their music is a form of catharsis- a way to release negative feelings. I really appreciate that, expressing yourself in your art. I think as long as I don't promote or express non-Christian ideals in my music, I should be alright. 😃

Really interesting topic you have going here, Bro Norbro. I'd like to commend your  open expression of your struggles- that is really brave. Brotherly love from this side of the planet 😃

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, Norbro said:

Hi, brother!

Just saw your post now. Your topic is really good as I also have that little dream to do a project with our brothers and sisters who are musicians. I myself play the piano for about 10 years and really love music and everything about producing although I'm not good at that actually, only trying to do something. I like to recreate our original songs from Broadcasting (if you want, you can listen to them in Youtube). I have created the melody for one poem which was written by our sister Norma, but that was my first time doing that... One more thing, we did 2 singing projects there as I mixed the vocals to the whole thing, but now it sounds really bad for me because it was my first time and I didn't really know how to mix them, how to play with them, how to pitch-shift them and so on. Now, I have a little bit more experience in that area, but of course, I'm only amateur and not pro, just watching Youtube videos and learning :D And I'm using FL Studio, which was very complicated for me at first, but now it's my friend :D

Like to sing aswell, and again, I'm not good at that, only learning how to sing better. 

By the way, I loved your song! And your timbre is very pleasant to ears :thumbsup:

On 4/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, Norbro said:

....reading the Bible is difficult too. It makes me feel like a complete failure. I beg of Jehovah to see all the things I would do if I had the capacity, like I did when my health was better. But the thought "could I do more? I should do more" is looping in my mind. Is the music that comes out of me therapeutic or harmful?

Hi Brother Asmund,

I like your topic as I do love music, yet sadly I am no musician  I would love to learn how to create music, but probably a New World project for me. :)

So instead I am responding to some of the spiritual/emotional thoughts you mentioned which I quoted above. I wanted to share with you a suggestion that you may find very helpful and encouraging.

It can sometimes be difficult for some who suffer with anxiety or depression to read the Bible or our literature when they feel that they are not doing enough or causes them to feel they are failing Jehovah. So here is the suggestion. When you are wanting to read from the Bible or read something from our literature but you are worried that doing so may make you feel sad or feel guilty, then during such times, try reading instead with a different perspective:

• A Letter from Father - We know that the scriptures are like a long letter from our Father, so whatever chapter or versus you are wanting to read, rather than reading from the perspective of what you should or should not be doing, try reading from the perspective of what you can learn about our Father. For example, as you are reading, ask yourself questions or even write down questions to help you meditate, such as, "What qualities do I 'see' and appreciate about Jehovah as I read these versus", "What do these versus tell me about the love and compassion my Father has?". When you read from this perspective, you won't feel sad or guilty, but instead you will feel closer to Jehovah and appreciate Him more because of seeing the beauty of his personality in the versus you read. 💙
  • Intelligent Design or Experiences - It is also very encouraging, and with no feelings of sadness or guilt, when we read articles dealing with Jehovah as a Creator and Designer. So if you type "Creation" in the WT Library, there are 2 subtopics in which you can find many excellent articles, the subtopics are called,

*** dx86-19 Creation ***
    Evidence of Creator

*** dx86-19 Creation ***
    Marvels of Creation

When reading such articles, rather than feeling sad or guilty, you will instead feel more positive, feeling a deeper sense of awe for our "Grand Creator".  And reading these kind of articles will definitely strengthen you spiritually! Also, if you type "Experiences", you will see 3 subtopics that have tons of outstanding experiences that are encouraging and comforting. I hope these ideas will help you when you are wanting/needing spiritual food, but yet you are fighting anxieties. Take good care of yourself my brother. :)

*** dx86-19 Field Ministry Experiences ***
    FIELD MINISTRY EXPERIENCES

*** dx86-19 First-Person Accounts ***
    FIRST-PERSON ACCOUNTS

*** dx86-19 Life Stories of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***
    LIFE STORIES OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

On 5/12/2019 at 7:01 PM, Intercore said:

Hi, brother!

Just saw your post now. Your topic is really good as I also have that little dream to do a project with our brothers and sisters who are musicians. I myself play the piano for about 10 years and really love music and everything about producing although I'm not good at that actually, only trying to do something. I like to recreate our original songs from Broadcasting (if you want, you can listen to them in Youtube). I have created the melody for one poem which was written by our sister Norma, but that was my first time doing that... One more thing, we did 2 singing projects there as I mixed the vocals to the whole thing, but now it sounds really bad for me because it was my first time and I didn't really know how to mix them, how to play with them, how to pitch-shift them and so on. Now, I have a little bit more experience in that area, but of course, I'm only amateur and not pro, just watching Youtube videos and learning :D And I'm using FL Studio, which was very complicated for me at first, but now it's my friend :D

Like to sing aswell, and again, I'm not good at that, only learning how to sing better. 

By the way, I loved your song! And your timbre is very pleasant to ears :thumbsup:

Hi brother Irmantas. That melody for the poem is gripping and quite cinematic. It kind of pulled me in. Impressive work, really!

I have also listened to a couple of your Broadcasting songs instrumentals, the "Brotherly Love" one was very relaxing. The singing project was fun, I'm sure it wasn't easy to mix poor quality mobile phone recordings.

FL Studio is cool, I worked in it a little bit many years ago because a friend was using it. The drum programming grid and built in sample mangling tools are great. Enjoy learning it 🙂

Thank you for your kind comment on our song! I would like to sing more, and I like singing in the Kingdom Hall, but when I'm doing vocal recordings I mostly want to be alone as I get distracted if there are other people in the house. I am too self-conscious...

On 5/12/2019 at 11:20 PM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Brother Asmund,

I like your topic as I do love music, yet sadly I am no musician  I would love to learn how to create music, but probably a New World project for me. :)

So instead I am responding to some of the spiritual/emotional thoughts you mentioned which I quoted above. I wanted to share with you a suggestion that you may find very helpful and encouraging.

Thank you dear brother, those are some good suggestions for sure. I especially like the "letter from our Father" perspective. Quite often my problem is not guilt or sadness (fortunately I am no longer as down as I was when I wrote post you replied to), but rather that I am in such physical discomfort/pain and sometimes also so stressed by feelings of impending crisis that reading and meditating is not easy or even realistic.

However, as I was writing this I came to realise that I can be more focused on doing Bible reading early in the day when my painkillers are working. I am prescribed such medication for my neck issues, and while I don't like to take it I need to, lest the pain take over my life. The thing is that I take them in the morning and that's all, because I don't want to take them multiple times a day. So the good part of my day is generally from about 10 am to 5 pm. Now that I have made it clearer to myself that my "functional window" is within these hours, I shall endeavour to do my Bible reading then. Need to get back into the rhythm.