JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Google Assistant and Alexa now can interact with JW.org

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Mac. Take your mobile phone with Goggle Assist enabled on it and go home. When you get there, you'll have Google Home.

Thanks. But I don't have "Google Home". The app for "Google Home" will only work if I had that toy.
I am using it directly from my Android phone. 

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

30 minutes ago, Mac_Tky said:

Thanks. But I don't have "Google Home". The app for "Google Home" will only work if I had that toy.
I am using it directly from my Android phone. 

When I checked the play store for "Google Home" the app said it applied to the lights, appliances and other aspects of your home!! I do not live in a "smart" home, although it is mobile..haha!😃 Our phones are Samsung 5.0 and 5.1.. also only 8gb storage which I am always having to tweek just to accomodate JWL..I can see how voice assistance could be a real help for many, though..👍

Edited by SUNRAY

content

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

14 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

When I checked the play store for "Google Home" the app said it applied to the lights, appliances and other aspects of your home!! I do not live in a "smart" home, although it is mobile..haha!😃

After playing with my Android phone a bit, I now understand what we need to do. No need to install Google Home or look for Google Assistant App on the Play Store. Google Assistant is already part of the Android by default. All you need to do is hold down your home button, then say "Ok, Google" to wake it up. Then you need to train it. Please see the instructions below: 

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7394306?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Edited by Bek

I was only able to try this a couple of hours ago and I can't get it to work....

What exactly should I say? I'v tried "Talk to JW.ORG" and the assistant just says she didn't recognize the command or she doesn't know what to do with that instruction... 

I tried on Android auto and on the phone. On the phone when I say that the assistant just makes a google search for that expression and show me the results...

I'v tryed to say "JW.ORG" at once or letter by lçetter" and it's the same... I can't get it to work.

I know the assistant works because I can just say "GO to that place" and the navigator starts to navigate. Also if I say "paly a song from..." he plays the song with youtube music...

Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I was only able to try this a couple of hours ago and I can't get it to work....

What exactly should I say? I'v tried "Talk to JW.ORG" and the assistant just says she didn't recognize the command or she doesn't know what to do with that instruction... 

I tried on Android auto and on the phone. On the phone when I say that the assistant just makes a google search for that expression and show me the results...

I'v tryed to say "JW.ORG" at once or letter by lçetter" and it's the same... I can't get it to work.

I know the assistant works because I can just say "GO to that place" and the navigator starts to navigate. Also if I say "paly a song from..." he plays the song with youtube music...

Any ideas?

You have to install the Google Assistant.

Say yes to the conditions.
Restart the assistent each time you want to go to jw.org.

A JW.ORG help is coming,

Just now, The German said:

You have to install the Google Assistant.

Say yes to the conditions.
Restart the assistent each time you want to go to jw.org.

A JW.ORG help is coming,

I have it preinstalled.... 

How do you restart the assistant?  

1 hour ago, Bek said:

After playing with my Android phone a bit, I now understand what we need to do. No need to install Google Home or look for Google Assistant App on the Play Store. Google Assistant is already part of the Android by default. All you need to do is hold down your home button, then say "Ok, Google" to wake it up. Then you need to train it. Please see the instructions below: 

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7394306?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Thanks Bek..this is helpful, ... What about what the German said? We may have to install Google Assistant app to access JW org? Have to wait for "Help" in JW org, I guess!😎

cat2_e0.gif

13 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Thanks Bek..this is helpful, ... What about what the German said? We may have to install Google Assistant app to access JW org? Have to wait for "Help" in JW org, I guess!😎

Android phones have Google Assistant as part of their operating system. I cannot find the icon of the Google Assistant App on my phone, but I know it is in the system because it is working when I give it basic commands. So it means that Google Assistant is embedded in the operating system. 

@The German There is no Google Assistant app on Play Store. It just does not exist. If you find it, please post the link here. 

When I tell jw.org to go to jw.org, it does not take me to the website, but only brings up the link to it and I have to click it myself. However, with other commands like play music, show photos and so on it carries them out automatically without my involvement. 

Edited by Bek

It might be worthwhile to remind people that this “free” service isn’t free. Your information is being sold to third parties so they can send advertising your way. This is true for both Amazon and Google.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

19 minutes ago, The German said:

After installation of the assistant, you will find a  button with a blue, red, yellow and green bubble.

Press the button.

Like I said, I have it pre-installed, it is part of the system. Like @Bek said there is no app to install (at least it doesn't show up for someone that has it already on the system)

Can you please post the link to the play store to that app?

Edited by jayrtom

Ok, I found the solution:

The problem is that the Google assistant is not available in my idiom. Although I can use it on android auto, and use other commands, the full version of it is not available.

I found out because I searched for the app in the alternative appstore, "APKPURE" where everything shows up, and the google assistant app (with the icon described by the German) appears.

I installed it and it says that it's not available for may idiom. But then I can change the idiome and it then works 

:)

@Bek maybe you have to change your language to one of the available ones in order for it to work

7 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

The problem is that the Google assistant is not available in my idiom. Although I can use it on android auto, and use other commands, the full version of it is not available.

I found out because I searched for the app in the alternative appstore, "APKPURE" where everything shows up, and the google assistant app (with the icon described by the German) appears.

I installed it and it says that it's not available for may idiom. But then I can change the idiome and it then works 

@Bek maybe you have to change your language to one of the available ones in order for it to work

Thanks!

cat2_e0.gif

11 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Great job.

In a short time we will get this :

"Voice recognition is available for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. For
more information on how to use voice commands to play content from jw.org, see “Use the
JW.ORG Skill for Amazon Alexa” or “Use the JW.ORG Action for Google Assistant” in the online
help section of jw.org."

17 minutes ago, The German said:

For more information on how to use voice commands to play content from jw.org, see “Use the
JW.ORG Skill for Amazon Alexa” or “Use the JW.ORG Action for Google Assistant” in the online
help section of jw.org."

There is no such info in the help section. Would you please post a link on here? 

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

It might be worthwhile to remind people that this “free” service isn’t free. Your information is being sold to third parties so they can send advertising your way. This is true for both Amazon and Google.

If that's the worst they do with it....

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

20 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It is likely the best they do with it, the worst is when you don’t think they can manipulate you, but they do anyway, because they know you.

But they don't know Jehovah, so they may only be allowed to go so far!!😉

cat2_e0.gif

1 minute ago, Thesauron said:

It is likely the best they do with it, the worst is when you don’t think they can manipulate you, but they do anyway, because they know you.

That’s what I was thinking  too

I have a Captel landline phone for the hard of hearing that types out the conversation as you speak. 

I was surprised to learn that the typing was being done by real people listening in on the call and not a machine...Much the same as Alexa but more information passes.

but it seems every where you call today tells you right up front that your call is being recorded 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

So..these tools are for hands free (like while driving), or perhaps if a person, even though he has the JWL app may have poor navigation skills or poor eyesight; or possibly restricted direct access to JW org, etc.; or perhaps for children or remote locations that only have internet?...This has to be streaming...I thought someone said streaming is more costly for our organization than downloading..just meditating on whether or not my family needs to use this..any ideas?:coffee:

cat2_e0.gif

...I thought someone said streaming is more costly for our organization than downloading..just meditating on whether or not my family needs to use this..any ideas?:coffee:

If it in anyway would help grow the spiritual depth of your family, I am sure no one in the organization would mind. Like the 'free' (without cost) arrangement with our literature, if your heart and pocket can offset this, (and maybe a little more for the less fortunate), it could be the best investment you ever make.

Just Older

"As announced at the annual meeting of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania on October 5, 2019, "

I love how the brothers assume everyone already knows what was announced...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D