JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Google Assistant and Alexa now can interact with JW.org

3 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

This has to be streaming...I thought someone said streaming is more costly for our organization than downloading..just meditating on whether or not my family needs to use this..any ideas?:coffee:

While this is technically true, I would suggest you to take look at it closer. ^_^

Edited by YukitoMatsuzuki

It depends on the service provider ... and there have been many changes and advancements during the past few years. There is not the same disparity in the cost of streaming vs downloading that there used to be.

If streaming were still more expensive - it does not seem likely that the FDS would make it available ... let alone recommend it as a way to listen/watch our Internet content.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

It depends on the service provider ... and there have been many changes and advancements during the past few years. There is not the same disparity in the cost of streaming vs downloading that there used to be.

If streaming were still more expensive - it does not seem likely that the FDS would make it available ... let alone recommend it as a way to listen/watch our Internet content.

Thank you John..that makes me feel better..😊

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

6 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I don't think the cost is much different (download or streaming).  It is just that you pay for the service each time you use it.  So if you download something and it cost 10 cents, but you watch it or listen to it 10 times, it is just 10 cents.  If you stream it for 10 cents but you watch it or listen to it 10 times, it costs a dollar.  You pay when you use it.  If you only use it once, it costs the same.  But the cost doubles the next time you stream it.

And that does not consider the method of reception.  There are additional costs involved in wifi, cellular data and so on.  More use equals more cost.

It is not a real worry but we should remember to donate according to our ability and especially it we use the system a lot.

Finally got this sorted and can now clearly see what the AM announcement was all about for the various devices. Since I don't have a Google Home device but an Amazon Echo Dot I will limit my comments to that.

The features released where by enlarge available for some time through jwaccess but with the release of the official Alexa skill jwaccess will be discontinued note this announcement from their website.

"Now that an official JW.org Alexa skill has been released, you are encouraged to make the transition over to the official app as soon as possible. The new skill has additional features, such as playing the broadcast, and playing content in other languages. This is an amazing announcement for our blind and low-vision brothers and sisters. JW Access will continue to function for a period of time. But will soon be discontinued."

However there are two different type of skills for the Echo the one that was just announced at the annual meeting which you have to directly address by including the key phrase jw.org and then there is the Flash Briefing skill that acts like a push service so that you don't have to repeat commands but they can be grouped in the flash briefing section of the Amazon device. The new release will not work in the Flash Briefing section.

The advantage of having a push service is that the command "Alexa Flash Briefing" will play seamlessly any skill you have put into that section without having to repeat each time the different commands required for playback. Which means for the time being since there is no official Flash Briefing skill I will keep the "Examining the Scriptures Daily" plus "JW.ORG What's New" in the Flash Briefing section. Alexa will read the content from the JW.ORG website.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

27 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

The Play Store says that my phone doesn't support the Google Assistant app..and yet it is a Samsung 5.1.1 with the required operating system..:(

What you need

To use the Google Assistant, you’ll need a phone or tablet with:

• Android 5.0 or higher
  • Google app 6.13 or higher
  • Google Play services
  • 1.0 GB of memory
  • Device's language set to a language listed above. Source

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

The Play Store says that my phone doesn't support the Google Assistant app..and yet it is a Samsung 5.1.1 with the required operating system..:(

It turned out all I needed to do was update my Google App! Now I have the assistant!:loopy:

cat2_e0.gif

After all the testing I did, it turns out I won't have any use for it unless I buy an amazon or google home device. I was planning to use this on android auto but I receive the message that jw.org is not available on my device (android auto)... :(

I don't understand because it works on the phone alone... But why  would I talk to my phone when I can just press the links...

13 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

I thought someone said streaming is more costly for our organization than downloading..just meditating on whether or not my family needs to use this..any ideas?

I wouldn't care about that, Elizabeth. The Slave has provided this service as a gift because they really wants us to listen to the recordings. So they made it easy to listen to any article or music, even if you cannot see, or cannot use your hands, or if you are driving or whatever. Just use it when you need it. :)

2 minutes ago, bigvince said:

I've said "alexa enable jw.org" about a thousand times and it recommends a bunch of unrelated skills. Anyone know why this is not working?

Have you tried "Alexa, Talk to JW dot org."? 

cat2_e0.gif

5 hours ago, jayrtom said:

After all the testing I did, it turns out I won't have any use for it unless I buy an amazon or google home device. I was planning to use this on android auto but I receive the message that jw.org is not available on my device (android auto)... :(

I don't understand because it works on the phone alone... But why  would I talk to my phone when I can just press the links...

I came to the same conclusion but see why it was released because it fills a need for the blind, the ones with limited vision as well as older ones who have a difficulty navigating jw.org or tv.jw.org. Since I got an Amazon Echo Dot very cheap I use it with that device but like yourself I feel silly talking to my phone especially since I know how to navigate the sites, have links & shortcuts and use swype for text input. However I see some who are not as swift and savvy using voice commands to navigate their devices.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

18 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

I came to the same conclusion but see why it was released because it fills a need for the blind, the ones with limited vision as well as older ones who have a difficulty navigating jw.org or tv.jw.org. Since I got an Amazon Echo Dot very cheap I use it with that device but like yourself I feel silly talking to my phone especially since I know how to navigate the sites, have links & shortcuts and use swype for text input. However I see some who are not as swift and savvy using voice commands to navigate their devices.

Yes you're right. Having one of those devices is the best way to take advantage of this provision

It seems there are some privacy concerns around virtual assistants. Guardian has today published an interesting report on the topic just at the right time for us: 

'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/09/alexa-are-you-invading-my-privacy-the-dark-side-of-our-voice-assistants

Personally, I don't have any concern with privacy issues :)

I have google history enabled, localization enabled, gps on photos enabled, etc...

That brings a lot of, and I repeat, A LOT of, benefits for me vs privacy issues that I don't have

When, and if, I start to have any issues with that, I'll turn everything off and all will be fine

If I had privacy issues I would be worried with a lot more things besides google listning to my life (there is nothing spetcial on it :))

Don't forget that whatever you do to close your doors and windows, the "big brother" is always watching and listning :wink:

Edited by jayrtom