JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Google Assistant and Alexa now can interact with JW.org

2 hours ago, bigvince said:

Guys, talk to jw.org just gives me a blurb about the website, still can't get it to enable the skill or do anything for me.

Are you following the directions on jw.org? 

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/using-jw-org/use-voice-assistant-to-play-content/action-for-google-assistant/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, bigvince said:

I did, it didn't work, others in this thread recommended saying talk to instead and that doesn't work.

The directions say to tell your Google Assistant to talk to JW.org. Then give it directions on what to do.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

The directions say to tell your Google Assistant to talk to JW.org. Then give it directions on what to do.

I have amazon echo show, so I've said enable jw.org, it offers a bunch of unrelated skills.

7 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

First you enable the skill in your Alexa app which you needed to set up the Echo. Then you speak to the Echo using the detailed commands. Have been running it since they release on Monday.

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/using-jw-org/use-voice-assistant-to-play-content/skills-for-amazon-alexa/

I say alexa enable jw.org., it offers unrelated skills. I've tried many, many times to no avail.

1 hour ago, bigvince said:

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/using-jw-org/use-voice-assistant-to-play-content/skills-for-amazon-alexa/

I say alexa enable jw.org., it offers unrelated skills. I've tried many, many times to no avail.

No, you should open your app "alexa" and enable there the jw.org --> It's not a vocal command

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201848700

Once enabled you can say talk to jw.org and it will work

Edited by jayrtom

Just now, bigvince said:

Oh. I don't see a place to do that in the app.

Did you follow the steps on the link I shared?

I don't have an amazon device but I installed the alexa app and it's easy to enable the skill

Go to skills on the left menu

Search for JW.Org (attention there are others that aren't the official one"

Select it

press the button "enable"

Edited by jayrtom

12 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Did you follow the steps on the link I shared?

I don't have an amazon device but I installed the alexa app and it's easy to enable the skill

Go to skills on the left menu

Search for JW.Org (attention there are others that aren't the official one"

Select it

press the button "enable"

just enabled it! I'll try using it when I get home. Thanks.

You need to use Alexa or Google Assistant in English or any other supported language. If you do not, it will not work. This means that not only does your command need to be in a supported languages but it also has to be the default language of your digital assistant.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, TRUTH04 said:

I said "ok, Google talk to jw.org", but it said that jw.org is not supported on my device.

I use Android, version 9, go edition.

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

That happened to me on my older Samsung phone..it turned out I needed to update "Google" in the Play Store! After I did that, Google Assistant was automatically onboard! I could tell because my initial "E" was up in the right corner (in a green circle) when I tapped my Google icon!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I didn't read through the entire forum but I did stop on a lot of posts that said JW.org wasn't working for them.  I want to remind people with Alexa that you have to enable the skill in your alexa app first (and pick the right jw.org skill because there are several, but only one official one, it's 4th or 5th down in the list) and then remember to say to Alexa first " Alexa, open jw.org".  When you do this the first time, she will tell you all the things she can do from jw.org.  then make a request like "Alexa, play original songs".  She can also "loop" just one song so you can memorize it or she can shuffle them.  Make the request to do either after you've asked her to play the songs. I had wondered if I had to say "Alexa, open jw.org" everytime I want her to do something on it and it seems I have to more than not.  Hope this helps.

Also for those of you wanting Alexa in a different language, you enable the language from the Alexa app when you enable the jw.org skill.  In the right upper corner, it will have a pull down list with the languages it comes in, set it to the language you want.  It is automatically set to US english unless you change it when you enable the skill.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

On 10/9/2019 at 3:16 AM, Bek said:

It seems there are some privacy concerns around virtual assistants. Guardian has today published an interesting report on the topic just at the right time for us: 

'Alexa, are you invading my privacy?' – the dark side of our voice assistants

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/09/alexa-are-you-invading-my-privacy-the-dark-side-of-our-voice-assistants

I use Google assistant and have had interesting results! I was texting a sister this morning encouraging her because she is in pain. I mentioned an article and brought out a couple of points..also must have mentioned courage! Then I texted another sister and she said she was at a cart..so I asked if they have several locations for the carts in her congregation! Shortly after that I asked Google to play music from JW org.!  She replied she would play Original Songs...first was about the sister with courage taking care of her family, then "I can Get Back Up", then the "Cart Song":D, then the Courage Song!!!!😄Wow!...Like Google took clues from my text messages! Jehovah certainly acts with style..that's how I choose to look at it! I might try a test and text my friend about unfailing love, and see what happens next time!!! Anyone else have this experience? Hahaha..so much laughter!!!:loopy:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Even if your language is not in the list of those supported you can still use this. For example, let's say that your language is Sinhalese and it is not suported. You can speak in English and tell JW.org by means of Google Assistant: "Play this week's Watchtower study in Sinhalese". And it will!

13 hours ago, carlos said:

Even if your language is not in the list of those supported you can still use this. For example, let's say that your language is Sinhalese and it is not suported. You can speak in English and tell JW.org by means of Google Assistant: "Play this week's Watchtower study in Sinhalese". And it will!

Tried this command "Alexa, play this weeks Watchtower study article from jw.org in Spanish" and it read it in English. As mentioned before in this thread I do believe it has to do with the default language settings in the Amazon Echo. Tried other languages as well, but always played the US English version.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Tried this command "Alexa, play this weeks Watchtower study article from jw.org in Spanish" and it read it in English. As mentioned before in this thread I do believe it has to do with the default language settings in the Amazon Echo. Tried other languages as well, but always played the US English version.

I said to GA (Google Assist - NOT Amazon Alexa) read today's text in German. It could not. I then tried read today's WT study in German, and it did.

(It actually played the recorded file from the website.)

So l'm guessing the 'read' (daily text) feature where the app actually does 'text-to-voice', it is in the language of the device.

To 'play' a recording (mp3 maybe mp4) - if the JW website has the language - the GA can 'play' it (as it does not have to read/convert the text)

IMHO

Just Older

Since I am only interested in the Amazon Echo his is a quote from this thread:

Also for those of you wanting Alexa in a different language, you enable the language from the Alexa app when you enable the jw.org skill.  In the right upper corner, it will have a pull down list with the languages it comes in, set it to the language you want.  It is automatically set to US English unless you change it when you enable the skill.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

That happened to me on my older Samsung phone..it turned out I needed to update "Google" in the Play Store! After I did that, Google Assistant was automatically onboard! I could tell because my initial "E" was up in the right corner (in a green circle) when I tapped my Google icon!
Did it. It worked. Thanks

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, SUNRAY said:

I use Google assistant and have had interesting results! I was texting a sister this morning encouraging her because she is in pain. I mentioned an article and brought out a couple of points..also must have mentioned courage! Then I texted another sister and she said she was at a cart..so I asked if they have several locations for the carts in her congregation! Shortly after that I asked Google to play music from JW org.!  She replied she would play Original Songs...first was about the sister with courage taking care of her family, then "I can Get Back Up", then the "Cart Song":D, then the Courage Song!!!!😄Wow!...Like Google took clues from my text messages! Jehovah certainly acts with style..that's how I choose to look at it! I might try a test and text my friend about unfailing love, and see what happens next time!!! Anyone else have this experience? Hahaha..so much laughter!!!:loopy:

Yes...at times Alexa can be a tad newsy!!!