JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Google Assistant and Alexa now can interact with JW.org

[NOTE: In order to keep the Annual Meeting thread ontopic and to locate the information more easily I'm moving here all the posts about Google Assistant and Alexa being able to interact with JW.org.]

8 hours ago, jscotchie said:

Google Home and Alexa. 

Google home and alexa mean what? 

Edited by carlos

54 minutes ago, Arumuga Raja said:

Google home and alexa mean what? 

Br. Arumuga, Google Home or rather Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa are virtual personal assistants that are installed on devices and home automation systems. You give them voice commands like play music, switch the light on, show me a video and so on. 

3 hours ago, jscotchie said:

I’m not sure if it’s already been mentioned, but there was also the announcement that jw.org is being released for Google Home and Alexa. 

If this is true, then it will be available only in Western countries. Besides, they support only a small number of languages. No Russian, no Arabic, no Kyrgyz ...

This. is. awesome!!!  

I'm going to try this in my car with Google Auto !

It's working down under, automatically read the text or wt study as requested. Played the latest morning worship.

Brilliant!

(I did first install Google Assistant)

Just Older

I can only open JW.ORG. Nothing else.

You can say “talk to JW.org” and then a command of your choice. Saying “Read next week’s Watchtower study in German” will read the study article for you in German.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Thanks. It is not working. I think german google ist not up to date.

Do you have Google Assistant app in German?

(From the app store) 66a7436f53169055ae28cf24024208a6.jpg&key=9b89b4c7eee3461278be8fbe5e9786d4da3e7a79be2abe4864de16cafeb8a1a7

Just Older

It will tell you what commands to use the first time you say 'talk to jw.org'...

4aff2b7f8cf8b6bca01f039e0739b341.jpg

I was wrong about Google Assistant not being available outside the West. It is also available in more languages that I thought. Here is what Google says: 

Languages you can use

On Android phones and tablets, the Google Assistant is available in Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese. More languages are coming soon. 

Change or add a language

The Google Assistant will speak to you in the language you have set in your Android settings. You can change or add a language to speak with the Google Assistant in the Google Assistant settings.

For example, if your phone is using English (US) and you set the Google Assistant language to Spanish (US), you can speak to the Google Assistant in English or Spanish.

You use up to three languages with the Google Assistant on your device: your Android language, plus two Assistant languages.

1. On your Android phone or tablet, touch and hold the Home button or say "OK Google."
  2. In the bottom right, tap Explore & Your stuff.
  3. In the top right, tap your profile picture or initial and then Settings and then Assistant and then Languages. 
  4. Choose a language. 
    • To change the primary language, tap your current language.
    • To add another language, tap Add a language.

You can talk to the Google Assistant in either language, but not a mix of both. Source

That's freaky. I'm a little leery about using the Assistant because it feels like the phone is always listening to me.

You should hear it in the Hall when someone says something that sounds like 'Siri' or 'Google' over the sound system and lights up half a dozen devices.

I have been able to use this in Spanish without switching the language to English. I said "OK Google, habla con JW.org". I needed to spell out JW.org (jota uve doble punto o erre ge). Then I received a welcome from JW.org explaining what it can do. Then I just have to say (in Spanish) read today's daily text, or read next week's Watchtower study and it will.

I tried "Read Matthew 24:14" but it cannot read single verses. It will read whole chapters from the Bible though. The daily text is read by Google but for the Bible and other content it uses the recordings on JW.org.

It works with songs, audio dramas and other multimedia content. It will also play a random song.

Every time you wish to use it you need to start with "OK Google, talk to JW.org". The commands won't work unless you say that first.

If this works in Spanish it must work with other languages too.

23 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

That's freaky. I'm a little leery about using the Assistant because it feels like the phone is always listening to me.

That's why I never use digital assistants. In order for them to hear you, they have to ALWAYS be listening to you... So some tech company is always listening to me? Yeah I'll pass on that. Lol

17 minutes ago, carlos said:

I have been able to use this in Spanish without switching the language to English. I said "OK Google, habla con JW.org". I needed to spell out JW.org (jota uve doble punto o erre ge). Then I received a welcome from JW.org explaining what it can do. Then I just have to say (in Spanish) read today's daily text, or read next week's Watchtower study and it will.

I tried "Read Matthew 24:14" but it cannot read single verses. It will read whole chapters from the Bible though. The daily text is read by Google but for the Bible and other content it uses the recordings on JW.org.

It works with songs, audio dramas and other multimedia content. It will also play a random song.

Every time you wish to use it you need to start with "OK Google, talk to JW.org". The commands won't work unless you say that first.

If this works in Spanish it must work with other languages too.

Okay. that was it.

I had to install Google Assitant.

Start Google Assistent.

Klicked Okay and it worked.

1 hour ago, Thomas Walker said:

You should hear it in the Hall when someone says something that sounds like 'Siri' or 'Google' over the sound system and lights up half a dozen devices.

Just wait until we start discussing the Assyrians...:facepalmpo2:

The brothers will need to remind everyone to silence their devices..:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, OtterWriter said:

That's why I never use digital assistants. In order for them to hear you, they have to ALWAYS be listening to you... So some tech company is always listening to me? Yeah I'll pass on that. Lol

Would that be the same as when you just tap on the microphone on Google and it says 'listening'?

I don't think it was listening before that..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

No but Alexa and Google Home are different. The trigger for Assistant is you tapping the microphone. The smart speakers are ALWAYS listening. They have to in order for it to know you said "Alexa" or "Hey Google." What else is it hearing you say around your house? What is it recording? And where is it sending those recordings to be processed by the company's AI? None of those companies (especially Google which makes all its money from advertising) has been forthcoming with what it does with your voice data. No thank you.

31 minutes ago, Dove said:

Would that be the same as when you just tap on the microphone on Google and it says 'listening'?

I don't think it was listening before that..

Yes, unless you're not connected to the internet, you can access Google assistant through that microphone