JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Google Assistant and Alexa now can interact with JW.org

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You can turn off the ability of Google to record and keep and use your assist and other recordings.

Go to your account

click on Manage Your Data

Scroll to Activity controls

make sure the box in front of "Include voice and audio recordings" is not checked.

image.png.4ecec0e24323559f5e47e365c5eedffc.png

Additionally, if you click on "Manage Activity", you can scroll down and see everything listed that you have spoken to your device.  Delete whatever you want by clicking on the three dots and selecting "Delete".

This is a good place to review your internet use.  

Dean

When I go to the play store for Android, and enter "Google Assistant" in the search, a list of apps appear. Which one should I install, or will any of them work?😎

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

12 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

When I go to the play store for Android, and enter "Google Assistant" in the search, a list of apps appear. Which one should I install, or will any of them work?😎

On Android it is called "Google Home". 

I have been using for over a year now the ability to read from jw.org different topics using the commands listed in jwaccess.com in conjunction with an Amazon Echo device.

Have the Echo hooked up to my sound system, then while eating breakfast just say the command "Alexa Flash Briefing" In the Echo News section I have installed the skills to first read from jw.org the daily text, followed by reading from jw.org the what is new part and finally the weather. I try to keep these assistants away from my portable devices as I know how to navigate the website as well as the library app and hate for these voice activated assistants to go off while in the ministry or in public cart witnessing. In addition once you activate these assistants I am sure they will try to push all kind of other information your way.

If these new features follow the pattern of the Echo then there are different levels of commands. Obvious Amazon will reserve the top level commands for themselves and you have to give it additional information to drill down. For preparing for the Sunday WT meeting I just say "Alexa ask jwaccess to play this weeks Watchtower Study article" and from jw.org you get the audio of the study article read to you. Been doing this for over a year. Midweek meeting is a different story as that involves videos plus usually a two hour preparation is in order.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

On Android it is called "Google Home". 

On my Android phone it definitely is Google Assistant (see screenshot from Play Store).

Perhaps on a tablet it is Google Home ...? 649f1fc6053a74b1acb723059b6320a1.jpg&key=cde28b34ba33512f166d8c322ec91f39d4a7e4c188ad18975bec2d7e8c8a57ee

Just Older

My Play Store also shows Google Home and Android Auto.

All are by Google LLC06ec705258816bd70219ed66eea8382d.jpg9cc1bf6cf60da0fa641cc0254f414990.jpg

Is there a list of ways to interact with this using Alexa? It worked for my G. Assistant but Alexa she's not as agreeable 

There was a whole thread about a year ago that had the full Alexa Echo (and varients) commands and options.

The thread might be locked for posting, but the voice commands may still be there.

Or just ask Google....

Just Older

1662387fb0f58fb840c5445dd09b8f0f.jpg

There was a whole thread about a year ago that had the full Alexa Echo (and varients) commands and options.The thread might be locked for posting, but the voice commands may still be there.
Or just ask Google....

Just Older

1662387fb0f58fb840c5445dd09b8f0f.jpg&key=ad542272717918e16eab5dd2f89261819f89f4ab1c186f5d5378d0af5a59435a

Are we talking JW Access now or the official release?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Are we talking JW Access now or the official release?
My apologies for the mis-direct.
Yes, this was JW Access on the Amazon Echo (and the like) devices I was talking about.
(I do not know of any previous Google /Android apps.)
It would make sense for the organisation to release 'official' versions.
I assumed the commands would be the same, but this may not be the case. ce4faab676a08232921eca34bd75e739.jpgf0151418503f0c19fdbcbb0904684a75.jpg

Just Older

This worked from my Android phone. So I am wondering why I need Google Home? 
Perhaps the Google Home app runs on the Google smart speaker etc. (The Amazon Echo (Alexa) equivalent).
It also control lighting etc, in the house.
Some have reported not finding the Google Assistant app, so I am wondering if tablet devices need a different app...? 5d1b8a6cbcb38d256a99a48f013225c6.jpg

Just Older

22 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Some have reported not finding the Google Assistant app, so I am wondering if tablet devices need a different app...?

Google assistant is on all modern Android phones. If using an Android phone go to the app Google Play and type in "Google Assistant" There is an app for those not already having it on their phone. 

If having Google Home they will need to download the app "Google Home" 

Edited by Mac_Tky

replaced Google with Android as google may have been confusing in that sentance. Highlighted word

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

Google assistant is on all modern Android phones. If using an Android phone go to the app Google Play and type in "Google Assistant" There is an app for those not already having it on their phone. 

Maybe the key to those that have experienced problems out there is what you said: "Google assistant is on all modern Android phones."

Just Older

My apologies for the mis-direct.
Yes, this was JW Access on the Amazon Echo (and the like) devices I was talking about.
(I do not know of any previous Google /Android apps.)
It would make sense for the organisation to release 'official' versions.
I assumed the commands would be the same, but this may not be the case. ce4faab676a08232921eca34bd75e739.jpg&key=ea989bc7ade71720f077c145fe5afb856347301b2fe2e6c0a6c600448ec6cc05f0151418503f0c19fdbcbb0904684a75.jpg&key=d5bc3e82aa3b6469f9beee034e455a247c195556987a0f8d767cad72ac0c4601

Just Older

I’m sure there is a good reason why they prefer to release an official version.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Mac_Tky said:

Altough there is a google home device (similar to alexa) the google home app is the app that Android has by default from quite a few versions ago (at leat the 6th) that is accebli by going to the leftmost tab of your home screen (but several brands have overrided it with their own briefing apps like the samsung and htc, but not my Honor device)

It can be acceced also by pressing without release on the home button of your device --> It is a briefing app with cards of your interest and provides also a way to summon google assistant by writing something or pressing the microphone icon and talking. If it is configured it can be accesed also by saying OK Google (some devices don't work with device turned off, but others, more recent ones listen to this command even if turned off)

The best application I see to this is by using on android auto. with your mobile phone in hand I don't see any advantage in talking to it versus opening the app or pressing some shortcut you created... 

Or if you have the alexa or google home devices

Exactly right! And just to confuse many, you can download Home as well...

Just Older

Mac. Take your mobile phone with Goggle Assist enabled on it and go home. When you get there, you'll have Google Home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk