JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coronavirus: How Jehovah Witness predicted the source of the outbreak since 2005

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1502 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

13 hours ago, tuntun said:

Have you seen the movie 'Contagion' which was release at 2011? it will tell you why the outbreak could happen.

Yes it did.. We have faster transpo compare to spanish flu in 1918, no wonder if the world will have another epidemic. 

On 2/23/2020 at 7:16 AM, Todd komaniak said:

Things that JennyM says are serious and from the heart. What she was saying is not that we are or have to follow the Mosaic law but if they weren't eating crazy things like bats they wouldn't have got that virus.

Hmm...but other animals that aren’t seen by Westerners as “crazy” to eat can/have also made people sick. Vegetables too 😁 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/health/jimmy-johns-fda-warning-letter/index.html

(CNN) The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning letter to the Jimmy John's sandwich chain, saying certain vegetables it served were implicated in five outbreaks of E. coli or salmonella in the past seven years. ... The FDA said it also sent a warning letter to a supplier of Jimmy John's.2 hours ago

in last week mid week meeting we had a talk about being ready for any emergency 

and the the day after are local paper had said some one had hear in the bay area 

and to this was in the news 

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/28-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-in-california/

so i order 2 weeks of can food just in case we get the order to stay at home 

Edited by bobby

3 minutes ago, pnutts said:

🤢  slimy snails 😠 and frogs are supposed to taste just like chicken 🤢

:offtopic:But Snails (escargots) do not taste like chicken but frog legs are similar when fried.  :eat:

Neither have anything to do with the topic.

Escargots, IPA: [ɛs. kaʁ. ɡo], (French for snails) is a delicacy consisting of cooked edible land snails. They are often served as an hors d'oeuvre and consumed by the French people, as well as people in Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Portugal, Sardinia, and Spain.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I’m very proud of the brothers who produce our literature and the efforts they go to to be accurate in what they publish.

The Dec 22 Awake, 2005 is one such example. They are always careful to quote their sources, like the medical journal they referenced in that article, dated 2003.

Take another look at the December 2017 monthly broadcast. There David Splane highlights how much attention is given to accuracy, with a little quiz. Some of the questions had me stumped.

Our brothers really do a great job. Even though that article was published 15 years ago, I’m so glad we can still have such trust in what they publish. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:15 AM, jayrtom said:

I personally don't jump on this kind of things the same way.. .we're not doing predictions in our magazines. It is just a coincidence as other things are not being predicted. The bible predictions are the ones that matter. We don't need this journals to enlighten us because we already know what's coming...

No, but these news articles and the fact we did have this in the Awake! demonstrates the practical value of our ministry.  The next time someone computationally asks a Jehovah's Witness why we call so often or if our ministry is actually doing anything to help our community, we can point this out.  Back in 2005 we shared with our neighbors a warning about a potential future pandemic and we shared practical steps to help avoid being a victim.  There are even news articles that highlight this.  

Interesting!

Awake 12/22/2005

"Could It Come Back?

According to many experts, it is not a question of if such a vicious flu virus will return but of when and how it will return. In fact, some expect a significant new influenza outbreak every 11 years or so and a severe one approximately every 30 years. According to these predictions, mankind is overdue for another pandemic.

The medical journal Vaccine reported in 2003: “It has been 35 years since the last influenza pandemic, and the longest interval between pandemics recorded with certainty is 39 years.” The article continued: “The pandemic virus may emerge in China or a nearby country and could include surface antigens or virulence factors derived from animal influenza viruses.”"

Edited by GrumpysWife

Quotation marks

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

You know any news that does not come from reliable sources should not be repeated. We have the only accurate source the F&DS CLASS.THE ONLY CHANNEL Jehovah is using in 2020 onward...

the fake news is out their and the person who started the rumors is a disgruntled JW and started the rumor.so let use the JW.ORG TO INFORM ONE ANOTHER OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS NEED NOT TO BE  ADE TO PANIC AND THAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE KEEP SHARING  UNFOUNDED INFORMATION.MSO PLEASE VISIT jw.org today and they have all the information we need

thank you Sister Hamilton

Sister Darlene, if you are referring to my post above yours, I got my quote from JW.org. I do agree we need to be careful where we get our information. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

55 minutes ago, Darlene Hamilton said:

You know any news that does not come from reliable sources should not be repeated. We have the only accurate source the F&DS CLASS.THE ONLY CHANNEL Jehovah is using in 2020 onward...

the fake news is out their and the person who started the rumors is a disgruntled JW and started the rumor.so let use the JW.ORG TO INFORM ONE ANOTHER OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS NEED NOT TO BE  ADE TO PANIC AND THAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE KEEP SHARING  UNFOUNDED INFORMATION.MSO PLEASE VISIT jw.org today and they have all the information we need

thank you Sister Hamilton

The quote from GrumpysWife came from a 2005 Awake!, which in turn quoted from a 2003 article in the medical journal Vaccine, about a possible new influenza-type illness.

I'm not sure what rumors you are referring to. 

6 minutes ago, TiaCyre said:

I thought she was referring to rumors in general! 

Maybe so, but she did say that the person starting the "fake news" was a "disgruntled JW" so I wasn't sure if she meant something specific that she'd read somewhere online.  I don't know if the person writing this article claiming that the JWs "predicted" the coronavirus is a JW or not, just that he/she made a poor choice of words.  

7 minutes ago, Barbllm said:

Maybe so, but she did say that the person starting the "fake news" was a "disgruntled JW" so I wasn't sure if she meant something specific that she'd read somewhere online.  I don't know if the person writing this article claiming that the JWs "predicted" the coronavirus is a JW or not, just that he/she made a poor choice of words.  

I too went searching for the fake news article. I thought she might be referring to readerscomments on an article. I never read follow on comments in favorable news articles, they are always loaded with poison.

Sister Darlene, it always helps to use the quote feature if you are referring to a previous comment. If you weren't making reference to a specific post that is OK, but you may have noticed that the printed page does not reveal intent. 

We are looking forward to your next posts. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 10:28 AM, Todd komaniak said:

Yes romaine lettuce unwashed can cause you to get sick and from meat processing plants some foods may get tainted with a bacteria but I'm still not going to consider bats as a food staple when there's so many other things to eat that aren't crazy.

I'm sure you are aware washing certain things like chicken can cause far more trouble than letting the bacteria.   Concerning lettuce, you cannot always wash it out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/11/21/romaine-lettuce-warning-you-cant-wash-off-e-coli/2077052002/

Study regarding washing of lettuce:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5694878/

Quote "This study shows the inefficiency of tap water washing methods available for the consumer when it comes to removal of bacteria from lettuce. Even after washing, the lettuce contained high levels of bacteria that in a high dose and under certain circumstances may constitute a health risk."