JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1029 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is great because quoting from the WT Library CD has always looked nice when pasted as it would nicely show the source of the quote. But now "copy/paste" of articles and scriptures will look just as good with WOL! And even more so with the added link which allows a person to go quickly to the quoted article if they want to read further beyond the brief quote. (tu)

So this must be the beginning of the WOL updates that were spoken of a while back informing us that eventually the WT Library CD will be phased out. I have already been trying to use the WOL more often, as previously I only used the WT Library CD because of being so familiar with it and because of the many good features it has. But soon WOL will replace it so I am trying to slowly make the switch, and this new "copy/paste" feature will help a lot. While the world keeps falling apart before our eyes, it is wonderful to see our Organization going the opposite direction, progressing! :star:

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

1 hour ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

So this must be the beginning of the WOL updates that were spoken of a while back informing us that eventually the WT Library CD will be phased out. I have already been trying to use the WOL more often, as previously I only used the WT Library CD because of being so familiar with it and because of the many good features it has. But soon WOL will replace it so I am trying to slowly make the switch, and this new "copy/paste" feature will help a lot. While the world keeps falling apart before our eyes, it is wonderful to see our Organization going the opposite direction, progressing! :star:

:oops: I should have read this post before I replied to the one above.

Wasn't it supposed to be a phasing out of Watchtower Library (DVD) and WOL? Both were to be replaced by JW Library, weren't they?

8 hours ago, Sheep said:

:oops: I should have read this post before I replied to the one above.

Wasn't it supposed to be a phasing out of Watchtower Library (DVD) and WOL? Both were to be replaced by JW Library, weren't they?

It is correct that WOL will also be replaced by JWLibrary. I think it is of interesting note that when you use the newly released quote function, it will attach you a link to JW.ORG to the original material. The user will be directed to either JW.ORG or Watchtower Online Library depending on if the publication is available on JW.ORG Library or not. This seem to suggest that most publications will eventually be ported over to JW.ORG.

I wouldn’t assume when both will be finally suspended. But there still are many unique features that only exists in WOL, which I sincerely hope to be ported over to JW.ORG before it shuts down.

I personally will find the quote feature very useful. Previously, if you had copied the Bible quotation manually, and attempted to paste on the internet web pages, (for example, here,) it would also have copied the marginal reference icons. (such as + signs and the * signs) They work well on JW.ORG, but looks ugly to be pasted here. It also used to copy text formatting, which must be removed by clicking on “Remove the text formatting.” for dark mode users.

However, with the newly introduced quote feature, all of such hassles are reduced. With just a single click, you will be prepared an easily-disposable Bible or literature text quotation that you can place anywhere on the web, with the source title and the link to the original web site.

15 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Watchtower Online Library has been updated with a new quoting function, as well as a sharing function.

The sharing function, a bent arrow, will allow you to easily share material.

Thanks, Johan. I noticed the new buttons yesterday but didn't try them.

How do you obtain the *** w20 July pp. 20-25 Keep Walking in the Truth *** type of quotation?

EDIT: I answer myself. I was in the Bible, so it quotes showing the Scripture. If you are in another publication, it will show the reference enclosed in asterisks. :thumbsup:

Edited by carlos

Is this supposed to work on iPad or just on computer?
I cannot get it to work.

It works on all platforms, I believe, including the iPadOS.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It works on all platforms, I believe, including the iPadOS.

I got it to work on the Ipad pro with IOS 13.5.1 system.  It is a "light" tap that brings up the box with the icons in it.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, Thesauron said:

Watchtower Online Library has been updated with a new quoting function, as well as a sharing function.

Moved to Interchange of Encouragement & Worldwide Brotherhood since this is not a press release from JW.org news section, nor a JW related article from a secular news outlet.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Moved to Interchange of Encouragement & Worldwide Brotherhood since this is not a press release from JW.org news section, nor a JW related article from a secular news outlet.

I didn’t think it was a post of encouragement, but rather a post about an update of the website. Not that I’m sure where such posts should be.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I didn’t think it was a post of encouragement, but rather a post about an update of the website. Not that I’m sure where such posts should be.

The forum description reads....

Encouragement for the Worldwide Brotherhood

A public forum for items of interest to all of Jehovah's people who visit our site as guests, such as new audio & video content on JW.org, poetry, illustrations, and non-firsthand experiences that you feel compelled to share. (Publicly visible)

And here's a more lengthy post...

Hope that helps!

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I still cannot get this quoting function to show as ***..............*** with a WT reference.
Where do you paste it so that it works?  I cannot paste in an email or a Note and show that format.
Maybe I need. guided tour with pictures?

Lightly press or click the paragraph or verse you wish to quote. A menu with two or three options will appear. The first might be a play/pause button, the second a share button (arrow), the third a copy/paste button. Someone might be able to produce a visual guide for you.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

36 minutes ago, bohemian said:

I still cannot get this quoting function to show as ***..............*** with a WT reference.

Where do you paste it so that it works?  I cannot paste in an email or a Note and show that format.

Maybe I need. guided tour with pictures?

I pasted mine to Word.

I have already been trying to use the WOL more often, as previously I only used the WT Library CD because of being so familiar with it and because of the many good features it has.

Neil, This whole time I thought you manually added all that ** ** and refs when quoting from our publications when posting here. I didn’t know you where getting them from the WT Library CD, I was like “how’s he making them look all neat ... “ now that we have this new feature on wol , I’m going to be using it ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/12/2020 at 4:31 AM, Thesauron said:

he sharing function, a bent arrow, will allow you to easily share material.

Can't see the arrow? where is it? 

Edit: never mind, found it - great feature.

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 1 year later...

EDIT:  I see that you are looking at the "Library" on JW.ORG and selecting the Bible.  I was looking at the Watchtower Online Library (WOL) and looking at the Bible..  Since this topic is about the WOL I can see why I was confused.  The "Library" on JW.ORG (online) is different from the WOL library online.  Sorry for my confusion.

Edited by jwhess

51 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

In the online Bible on the website, what is the meaning of the word ‘general’?
It seems to appear beside all the Marginal reference scriptures.

979297316_Screenshot2021-06-28092407.thumb.jpg.57fa06bd2c96715b17d18e93a404d025.jpg

There are different categories of marginal references in the study edition, but they are only applicable to the books of the Bible that have study notes. For example, in the Gospels, in addition to general references, you also have parallel account references and quotation references. (See the screenshot below) In books of the Bible that don’t have study notes, all the marginal references will appear under the “general” category. 

60D14A71-EDE1-4694-BC68-4AEA0105AAA4.thumb.png.0ab2a170bab2956b86e36accd8828900.png

C9E7F982-862E-4572-9F6A-EA55116078EF.thumb.png.3cf6eef9c083624bcaeb034e86538b1f.png

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

EDIT:  I see that you are looking at the "Library" on JW.ORG and selecting the Bible.  I was looking at the Watchtower Online Library (WOL) and looking at the Bible..  Since this topic is about the WOL I can see why I was confused.  The "Library" on JW.ORG (online) is different from the WOL library online.  Sorry for my confusion.

Sorry for the confusion. I wrongly understood that wol.jw.org is the same as the Library on jw.org online. I shouldn't have posted it in this topic.😅