JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jesus statues

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1288 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

They can tear down alll the statues they want. My guess is most of the people they are monuments too would do it themselves to promote the greater good.  I certainly cannot imagine Lincoln Jefferson and Washington being particularly happy about Rushmore Probably Roosevelt would be perturbed that a good hunting area was disturbed by his face looking over it. 
     Eventually ALL those images will be so much rubble anyway. 

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

No.  I don't see this as anything more than continuing the racism protests. Nothing to do with religion. 

It is an attack on some people’s religion. My Jesus is the real Jesus your Jesus is not.  It could become far worse is people actually start physically attacking these images. 
      This is in line with what we expect to happen anyway. 

36 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

It is an attack on some people’s religion. My Jesus is the real Jesus your Jesus is not.  It could become far worse is people actually start physically attacking these images. 
      This is in line with what we expect to happen anyway. 

The attack on Babylon the Great will be on all religion, though.  Statues of Black Jesus are not the target of this particular assault.  This assault is about racism and not religion.

https://urbanfaith.com/2014/08/the-brief-history-of-black-jesus-in-hollywood.html/

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

The attack on Babylon the Great will be on all religion, though.  Statues of Black Jesus are not the target of this particular assault.  This assault is about racism and not religion.

https://urbanfaith.com/2014/08/the-brief-history-of-black-jesus-in-hollywood.html/

Do you really think that once this begins that it won’t cascade? That people who see Buddha as Nepali or Chinese, or Indian wont have a similar response. Or that the inevitable backlash form such events as windows being broken out of churches , and repeated in synagogues wont have reprisals in mosques and other collaterals? This will be like the shell of an egg cracking revealing false religion not as a swan but a vulture. How do we imagine the most powerful nations on earth will have to respond? 
      But this all may just fizzle out. Even though it is clear that increasingly it is exactly what some THink they want. 
      Now about this not being about religion. If some elements in BLM would do such a thing the. Isn’t BLM in fact a Religion?

28 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

How do we imagine the most powerful nations on earth will have to respond? 

We can make ourselves sick trying to predict the future, fortunately we don't have to. Jehovah says to leave it in his hands, in today's vernacular that means grab your popcorn and relax, Jehovah will start the show shortly...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Didn't He say something like that before :

(2 Chronicles 20:17) . . .You will not need to fight this battle. Take your position, stand still, and see the salvation of Jehovah in your behalf.. . .

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

...oh shoot.

Sorry I didn't see this topic before I had already posted the screenshot in the other topic.

My mistake x.x

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

I have been scrolling the replies under the Tweet which is quoted in the news and wow, people are really mad at him to have said something like that! Some are really taking this as a personal attack.

I can’t even imagine their reaction when the nations will come and erase their religions.

1 minute ago, Romain said:

I can’t even imagine their reaction when the nations will come and erase their religions.

That's why it'll be called the Great Tribulation 😉

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 6/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, BenJepthah said:

If some elements in BLM would do such a thing the. Isn’t BLM in fact a Religion?

The Leader of BLM was interviewed. I seen it today. Paraphrasing, He said, this country was founded on violence and we will continue use violence if necessary....

So, now their openly stating that they condone violence until their demands met. He didn’t really try to soften it at all.  Make no mistake, this is not just about helping blacks. That’s just the premis they use to push a variety of political ideologies. 

Thank Jehovah we don’t have to choose a side in this whole political war going on.      

2 Chron.20:17.  

17 “You will not need to fight this battle. Take your position, stand still, and see the salvation of Jehovah in your behalf.” :popcorn:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

The whole concept of taking down statues, etc. is useless. Nothing anyone can do can change history. These atrocities happened, the wars happened, the plagues happened. You can burn the history books, but none of these acts change what happened. You can't change the past. Neither can any peoples change the future. That is in Jehovah's hands and is already writtenin stone. The only thing we can do is learn what Jehovah has purposed for the future and work with this knowledge to make our future secure.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, BenJepthah said:

Do you really think that once this begins that it won’t cascade?

I don't believe this particular effort by Shaun King will go anywhere, let alone turn into a global attack on false religion.  

9 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

The Leader of BLM was interviewed. I seen it today. Paraphrasing, He said, this country was founded on violence and we will continue use violence if necessary....

So, now their openly stating that they condone violence until their demands met. He didn’t really try to soften it at all.  Make no mistake, this is not just about helping blacks. That’s just the premis they use to push a variety of political ideologies. 

At this point, this looks like terrorism...

I recall a few years ago a mob rip down a confederate statue......to many people that seemed reasonable, not to honor soldiers who were fighting to keep slavery.

Now they are going after George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, Gandhi, an abolitionist statue and even “white” Jesus.

I think these folks weren’t paying attention in history class. :lol:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

16 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

I recall a few years ago a mob rip down a confederate statue......to many people that seemed reasonable, not to honor soldiers who were fighting to keep slavery.

Now they are going after George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, Gandhi, an abolitionist statue and even “white” Jesus.

I think these folks weren’t paying attention in history class. :lol:

Gandhi?? Please provide that link!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-st-louis-rioters-threatened-couple-guns-attorney

”Protesters” broke onto this couples property and threaten to kill them, their dog and burn down his home....after they loot it of course.

The couple are civil rights attorneys. If they had not been armed well, they would very likely be dead or hurt bad.  
These kinds of actions are setting race relations back 50 years. Politicians are looking the other way, just like those police did at the George Floyd  murder.

This is how the world deals with problems. 

All you have to do is search “Gandhi Statue” 

https://www.newsindiatimes.com/low-point-of-protests-mahatma-gandhis-statue-in-washington-dc-vandalized/

Edited by Pjdriver

https://www.newyorker.com/?intcid=inline_amp

yep ,  looks like at least in some lands “ Ghandi “ is another icon that is to be removed. 
         Makes me wonder when those who mitated Gandhi will also be removed. Weather of not its deserved I’m looking your way monument to Dr. King. 

Edited by BenJepthah

On 6/25/2020 at 8:16 PM, tucker said:

The whole concept of taking down statues, etc. is useless. Nothing anyone can do can change history. These atrocities happened, the wars happened, the plagues happened. You can burn the history books, but none of these acts change what happened. You can't change the past. Neither can any peoples change the future. That is in Jehovah's hands and is already writtenin stone. The only thing we can do is learn what Jehovah has purposed for the future and work with this knowledge to make our future secure.

Maybe it isn't about trying to "change history" at all. Maybe the atrocity of having to see all of these images of people who propagated the enslavement, and oppression of a race of people, is what's at stake. Imagine Jews having to see swastikas everywhere they look. It would be unnerving. People who are stuck in the history of this oppression, still long for the times when they will be "in power" again. These "monuments" give them hope. So, on the one hand, there is abject oppression from having to endure this praising of treachery, and on the other hand, the longing for the return of "the good ole boy days".

There's a lot people don't understand about this stuff, and when they comment on it, it seems shaded one way, or the other. It almost hearkens a "Which side are you on?" response. Being Black in America has been no picnic. Did you see last month's broadcast? Do you think the brothers who had to see the ropes separating them from their brothers and sisters of another race thought that this was just perpetuating "history"? Do you believe that, when the congregations were united, that the "acceptance" was thru and thru in the congregations? Do you think White elders were OK being ministerial servants so the Black elders could be 'Elders"? Remember the video of Bro. Gerrit Lösch talking about the separation of the congregation in Austria? What do you think those brothers thought when they joined up again? 

There is a reason the Branch recommends that we remain neutral in the world's affairs. Trying to talk about secular problems from the POV of Jehovah's Kingdom, and what we know will be his righteous rule, can only be futile, a true "chasing after the wind". While this conversation has been moderated, for Christians, some of the comments are kinda out there. We should be careful. 

22 hours ago, BillyR said:

Maybe it isn't about trying to "change history" at all. Maybe the atrocity of having to see all of these images of people who propagated the enslavement, and oppression of a race of people, is what's at stake

Billy, certainly no one can dispute that there is racism in this country as well as many other countries throughout history. No one I’ve heard denies that. The problem is, what to do?

After the murder of George Floyd Everyone in government was in favor of making changes and discussing the issue. Then........
The whole protest thing got hijacked by criminals, deciding on their own and taking the law in their own hands. They lash out at innocent people. These are “organized anarchist” using the racial issue as a premise to revolutionize the whole country and gain political power. The legit protestors are Just being used as shields.
it’s one thing to want these statues down, no argument there.... but do you think a mob marching and intimidating people and violently ripping down statues is helping race relations. I think it creates racism?
If you see others on the forum condemn rioting and mob actions, do you assume they must be in favor of racism? Some do, I know that. I hope you don’t.

When White people see all this they don’t have  the same emotional response as black people because many black people have been unjustly discriminated against for many years. I get that.

But we don’t condone the methods used and certainly when it becomes a political football as it most certainly is now. So the thought behind these things is good, but the actions are unacceptable and repugnant to most people. 

The police have been charged with murder....