JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fix & repair-procrastinators unite! A thread that aspires to inspire

Tronora

This thread is meant to be encouraging for procrastinators. You are not alone! (Am I alone? :o )

I have items in my home that needs fixing. You too? And they keep slipping out of sight? Because they are still 'working'.

Write your list here. Maybe it will help? I wrote mine in a spreadsheet. That did not help.

I like lists. Particularly when I can strikethrough :ok:

My list:

Drawer 1 & 3 in commode (chest drawer?)

Desk drawer 2 & 4

Bureau drawer 2

Food cabinet door, lowest hinge

Corner cabinet door, topmost hinge

If you don't have a problem with procrastination, lucky you :thumbsup:

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

Hi Tronora! Welcome to JWtalk!

Yes, I had a lot of things needing fixing and I kept delaying it because I'm very clumsy with manual work. Yet with the lockdown I no longer had any excuses.

I fixed the door handle which had some loose screws. It had been like that since forever and i had no idea of how to fix it. I tried with glue, but it didn't work. Then I watched a Youtube video. I unscrewed them, filled the holes with a filler, and once it was hard I inserted them again. It looks perfect!

I painted the upper floor, fixed electrical sockets everywhere, installed a motion-activated sun-powered light in the yard, turned a junk room outside the house into a neat workshop... Lots of things.

Something I realized is that work is much easier and with much better results if you have the proper tools. Now I don't want any cheap tools anymore.

29 minutes ago, carlos said:

Hi Tronora! Welcome to JWtalk!

Yes, I had a lot of things needing fixing and I kept delaying it because I'm very clumsy with manual work. Yet with the lockdown I no longer had any excuses.

I fixed the door handle which had some loose screws. It had been like that since forever and i had no idea of how to fix it. I tried with glue, but it didn't work. Then I watched a Youtube video. I unscrewed them, filled the holes with a filler, and once it was hard I inserted them again. It looks perfect!

I painted the upper floor, fixed electrical sockets everywhere, installed a motion-activated sun-powered light in the yard, turned a junk room outside the house into a neat workshop... Lots of things.

Something I realized is that work is much easier and with much better results if you have the proper tools. Now I don't want any cheap tools anymore.

Thank you! 🌼 Feels good to be here! And what an impressive effort you have made in fix & repairs! Anything left on the to do list?

Now, you reminded me of that door handle ... 🤦‍♀️ 0K, another item added to the list 😆 (How do I edit my first post ... )

Proper tools are a must! It is also possible to procrastinate by going out and actually buying proper tools :whistling: Or making a list of tools needed. And waiting for sale ... :coffee:

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

13 minutes ago, Tronora said:

Thank you! 🌼 Feels good to be here! And what an impressive effort you have made in fix & repairs! Anything left on the to do list?

Yes, my wife wants me to install a webcam in the backyard, to be able to watch our dogs and speak to them from work. The problem is that we don't have any electrical socket outside, so I need to drill a hole through the wall (a really thick wall of reinforced concrete) behind one of the sockets, then pass a wire, install a weather-proof socket there, then 7 meters of wire until the point where I want to install the camera.

I keep procrastinating as you can imagine... But at some point I will have to get my hands on it. :lol:

12 minutes ago, carlos said:

Yes, my wife wants me to install a webcam in the backyard, to be able to watch our dogs and speak to them from work. The problem is that we don't have any electrical socket outside, so I need to drill a hole through the wall (a really thick wall of reinforced concrete) behind one of the sockets, then pass a wire, install a weather-proof socket there, then 7 meters of wire until the point where I want to install the camera.

I keep procrastinating as you can imagine... But at some point I will have to get my hands on it. :lol:

What an animal-friendly project your wife's idea is :heart:  I think an actual electrician would be required for that job in Norway. (Not sure) Let us (thread-readers) now how it goes!

(*footnote)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

If you check the Wyze cameras on Amazon, they supposedly have solar power now to run them.  The camera themselves is very good, but haven't tried the solar panel option yet.  I plan to do so soon though.  

1 minute ago, Jeanie said:

If you check the Wyze cameras on Amazon, they supposedly have solar power now to run them.  The camera themselves is very good, but haven't tried the solar panel option yet.  I plan to do so soon though.  

I have a solar panel Reolink wifi camera that works very well. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

That is good to know.  I might jump right in and do the same.  My Mom enjoys watching the birds and the deers and I would love for her to have an upclose view of them.  Thanks for the encouragement.  :)

3 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately she already bought the camera some months ago and I have kept delaying it. :innocent:

3 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

Which model do you have?

Personally, I haven't gotten around to putting the jobs off ... I'm too busy putting off making the list

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Oh, I did so many repairs during the lockdown that some keep coming to mind. The kitchen door used to scratch the floor. Sometimes a bit of gravel got stuck and it made a horrible screeching noise. So I unmounted the door and shaved the lower end with a sander machine. The sander cost me like 20 euro and made the job much easier. It wasn't perfect, but nobody can see it anyway and now it doesn't scratch anymore. :)

On 7/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, Qapla said:

Which model do you have?

It's an inexpensive Reolink from Amazon. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have updated my studio computer. I forgot to put in on the list in my first post, but hey:

Studio computer updated

That satisfied feeling ...  :coffee:

Drawers and door hinges, however ... :ph34r:

(*footnote)

Hmmm. Seems I am the only actual procrastinator with a need to confess 😄

I knew I didn't make a complete list. Since I can't edit my original post, here it goes:

My dishwasher has been out of order for a while now. Time to call someone ... but who? The appliance was here already when I moved in. The landlord won't do anything about it. An electrician I know says it's not his table. A plumber, maybe ... or Bosch service.

Oh, and I really need to call the car repair for EU control of my lovely Honda Prelude vehicle.

(*footnote)

On 7/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, carlos said:

That sounds like a nice job for reinforced concrete for a hammer drill. 

I wish my dog could hear. He seems to be deaf. He can see well and smell for an older dog. 

I've installed some Ring cameras for exterior surveillance. All exterior cams 1080p.

And installed some anti rabbit hard plastic at the bottom of pvc fence (small gaps). It was fun

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, Tronora said:

Hmmm. Seems I am the only actual procrastinator with a need to confess 😄

I knew I didn't make a complete list. Since I can't edit my original post, here it goes:

My dishwasher has been out of order for a while now. Time to call someone ... but who? The appliance was here already when I moved in. The landlord won't do anything about it. An electrician I know says it's not his table. A plumber, maybe ... or Bosch service.

Oh, and I really need to call the car repair for EU control of my lovely Honda Prelude vehicle.

I called the car repair. He has retired! I called TWO other car repairs. Both were closed for summer. Is that possible?!! Yup.

I stopped by the nearest car repair after it opened again, and I am HAPPY to report that my car will be checked in less than two weeks (:P)

(*footnote)

On 8/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, ArcticShark said:

I always keep saying: tomorrow I’ll fix it.....  but when someone asks me te next day when I start..... I say.... Tomorrow 😇😂

I just said the same thing ... because my toe hurts. Vacuuming the car needs to be done before Friday. I thought yesterday that I would be doing it today ...  :uhhuh:

And it’s raining a little, I think.

(*footnote)

A step closer to doing something about the dishwasher: Some time next week (but not tomorrow), I will be clearing out a small storage space for easier access. When that is done, I'll be calling ... either Bosch service or a plumber.

(*footnote)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, carlos said:

The problem is that we don't have any electrical socket outside, so I need to drill a hole through the wall (a really thick wall of reinforced concrete) behind one of the sockets, then pass a wire, install a weather-proof socket there, then 7 meters of wire until the point where I want to install the camera.

On Saturday, I took care of drilling through mortar to hang 2 dusk to dawn lights outside garage. Used a Ryobi SDS+ hammer drill with 3/8 masonry drill 12 inches long. I made a few mistakes but got it done safely.

On the light by my front door that was done first as a replacement of an older light fixture.

1077450224_1stoutdoorlight.thumb.jpg.eed458d76a84ee75e5f450d91d925c19.jpg1081424639_2ndoutdoorlight.thumb.jpg.102559e8d9fa600a716297689fb5e115.jpg1128821220_3rdoutdoorlight.thumb.jpg.59c23971661e14f736d83976e6e3329b.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, Tronora said:

A step closer to doing something about the dishwasher: Some time next week (but not tomorrow), I will be clearing out a small storage space for easier access. When that is done, I'll be calling ... either Bosch service or a plumber.

I have cleared out that space I mentioned ... a while ago ... and inserted the drawers that actually was meant to be there.

One more for my procrastination-list: Mount a bracket for my newly purchased cordless vacuum cleaner. I must first decide whether to hang it downstairs or upstairs ... :whistling:

(*footnote)

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a to-do list that is so long, I think I need to live forever to see the end of it.

As we the house we are living in was built in the mid-70's, there is many fix ups to do.

Found some nasty cancer in one of a door jambs, which i had to cut sections of the door jamb out and replace them with pieces of steel that I had to fold into shape and pop rivet together, as I couldn't weld these due to being inside the house and timber walls being so close.

image.jpg

c406316e2bf97b5a822a6c8515e960b598a19aaa.jpeg

909e1abbe70b463ae7f4331fa1e7f7374fec4c9e_2_283x500.jpeg

a4c0a7f57dbb8a1296ea7df81ec7d576cd3c07b0_2_295x500.jpeg

image(1).jpg

image(2).jpg

image(3).jpg

Edited by Pabo

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Pabo said:

I have a to-do list that is so long, I think I need to live forever to see the end of it.

As we the house we are living in was built in the mid-70's, there is many fix ups to do.

Found some nasty cancer in one of a door jambs, which i had to cut sections of the door jamb out and replace them with pieces of steel that I had to fold into shape and pop rivet together, as I couldn't weld these due to being inside the house and timber walls being so close.

image.jpg

c406316e2bf97b5a822a6c8515e960b598a19aaa.jpeg

909e1abbe70b463ae7f4331fa1e7f7374fec4c9e_2_283x500.jpeg

a4c0a7f57dbb8a1296ea7df81ec7d576cd3c07b0_2_295x500.jpeg

image(1).jpg

image(2).jpg

image(3).jpg

I have been reading this topic before and now re-reading is. I love the several little things on the "to do" lists of all of you. Like hinges on some doors and installing a webcam on the outside wall. Wouldn't it be great to help all of you out? I saw the dates too of when it has been posted, so I hope all is done by now. Most of the time goes into adjusting the hinges on a (cupboard) door, after attaching them properly. If your hinges are making a terrible noise, lift up your door about 1 milimeter while still leaving it in the hinges on the door frame and spray a little oil (sewing machine oil is ok too since this is for fine mechanical parts). If you have no one to assist you, buy a simple air wedge, place it underneath your door and lift it up a little (But make sure it remains hanging onto the doorframe hinges) For the webcam a important tip, make sure you drill the hole through the outside wall always make sure that the hole is being drilled at an angle to make sure that (rain) water can not enter the hole. In this case always drill from the inside down to the outside.  😉

Stelkussen.jpg

...It is how it is... 😊  I love long walks, special when you do the walking. A long answer is not short.