JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Which face masks provide best protection

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1379 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/video/face-masks-provide-best-protection-71550321

Bandanas and loosely folded masks still allow droplets to travel in the air, according to researchers at Florida Atlantic University.

These results are interesting and a little surprising to me. Be sure to watch the video. 

Perhaps it's more about minimizing the risk as much as we are able. The breathing thing using N95's are a real thing ... I find it very difficult to breathe through one of those. (Richard actually brought out that a medical is needed with jw.org if your task includes wearing an N95) so for me, it's either isolation or minimizing the risk by using a surgical or alternative mask that isn't as restrictive as the N95 or similar

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I think if I had to cough, and I was wearing a mask around people, I would turnaround and cough into the crook of my arm. I would hope that most people would do something like that too. 
However it is surprising that with a bandana, it still travels several feet. I used to spray lacquers, so I have one of those 3M charcoal filter respirators. I don’t wear it out though.....too vain..:lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I did my own test at home by wearing different masks and breathing on a mirror. The mask that I made out of sock was very ineffective. The spandex/cotton mask that I had purchased was as effective as the surgical mask. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

I did my own test at home by wearing different masks and breathing on a mirror. The mask that I made out of sock was very ineffective. The spandex/cotton mask that I had purchased was as effective as the surgical mask. 

Have you tried this one? need feedback if there is any donut fragrance embedded on it? 

PinkDonutsMaskWithFilterPocket_59404a4d-ba1d-40bd-b102-602aaa73fd69_grande.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

So, to sum up what the video and the news people found ... the answer to the question of, "Which face masks provide best protection?"

The one you are wearing! If it stays in your pocket or in your car or you leave it at home it does no good at all. Something is better than nothing.

Now, if someone would do a study that is about "talking" with a mask and which one works best that way - that might be more in keeping with what is needed. I doubt that the majority of people who have contracted C-19 were all sneezed on. My guess is that only a small number of them got it that way. I would think more got it being in a crowd where people were "talking".

Even before the need to wear a mask - most people did "cover up" in some way when they sneezed. There were less people who covered up when they coughed ,but many did - even if they did cough into their hand.. Practically no one covered up when they talked. Oh, there were some people who tended to put their hand in front of their mouth when they talked - but not that many.

So, a test of masks while talking and/or singing might be a little more apropos to the current situation.

Again, like they said several times during that news video - the important thing is - you need to wear the mask for any of them to do good. Something is better than nothing.

Looks like the ones our family has are the ones that tested best - My daughters spent a few days making a family supply of those for us to wear long before this study. Glad they picked the type they did since they were the winners in this study :)

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I ordered some masks out from UK a few months ago, finally arriving sometime this month. This is what it looks like below, has greater protection than N95 it claims. And its washable.

4BC736E3-CCCA-4ABF-BB72-851E76B3E287.jpeg.6875d4f911b67098608a7264f41c849f.jpeg

The Cambridge Mask PRO is a fashionable pollution mask that comes in a range of patterns and sizes. What makes PRO is different from BASIC is that the PRO mask is made by combining 3 unique layers; the outer printed layer, the three-ply particulate filter, and an activated carbon cloth which is tested British Military Filtration Technology and filters almost 100% of pollution, gases, 99.6% of viruses and 99.7% of bacteria. The PRO mask is also treated with silver to protect the wearer against bacteria and viruses which our BASIC mask doesn’t have. PRO masks have a longer lifespan compared to BASIC masks, and can last up to 340 hours of use.

56E0B204-0F31-46A5-A26A-DE11E74E0961.gif.bcdf5555d987c4a9be739a5847a14943.gif

Edited by Lewis

Two assistant professors wrote an interesting article about boosting the effectiveness of DIY masks filtration to medical grade masks by simply using nylon pantyhose as an extra layer, providing a tighter seal and improving performance as much as 50% Here is the article.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90498270/worried-your-cloth-mask-isnt-filtering-coronavirus-this-simple-hack-could-make-it-more-effective 

I wonder ow panty how compares to coffee filters when it comes to DIY masks

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 minutes ago, Mephibosheth said:

Oh my. Is that an exhalation valve?

Yes indeed, but I like the style of it wrapping around your ears instead of using N95s all day with the straps that go around your head. I do have several other masks that I have in my vehicle depending what I’m doing, this is more for work, its hard wearing a mask all day long everyday without an exhaust.

3 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Yes indeed, but I like the style of it wrapping around your ears instead of using N95s all day with the straps that go around your head. I do have several other masks that I have in my vehicle depending what I’m doing, this is more for work, its hard wearing a mask all day long everyday without an exhaust.

Some areas do not allow facemasks with exhalation valves because they dont protect anyone but the user. Are there any restrictions in your area?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

Some areas do not allow facemasks with exhalation valves because they dont protect anyone but the user. Are there any restrictions in your area?

At this time there are no restrictions of what type of masks to use where I am, its a personal choice, They only suggest to use medical/surgical mask or medical N95 respirators or 3 layer home made mask.

I find a lot of people don't even wear their mask properly anyways, kinda defeats the whole purpose if you don't wear your mask on your face that seals around your mouth and nose. So the open gaps are just like exhausts valves.

For cart witnessing I used both a face shield and a cotton mask I made with thick non-see through material.I also have a N95 mask with filter.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

11 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

The mask that I made out of sock

So, your wife told you to “put a sock in it”?  🧦 :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I would think that the Leaf N99 mask with a in-built UV-C steriliser might be the best so far. As I understand, it has already been cleared by the FDA. 

LEAF_worlds_first_transparent_FDA_registered_smart_mask.thumb.jpg.1883b70289453edf2832085f798d9ec6.jpg

28 minutes ago, Bek said:

I would think that the Leaf N99 mask with a in-built UV-C steriliser might be the best so far. As I understand, it has already been cleared by the FDA. 

LEAF_worlds_first_transparent_FDA_registered_smart_mask.thumb.jpg.1883b70289453edf2832085f798d9ec6.jpg

Built in UV-C sterilizer? How does it work? Does it require electricity? 

3 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Built in UV-C sterilizer? How does it work? Does it require electricity? 

I think there is a small battery to power the steriliser.

Here is an article about it: https://www.yankodesign.com/2020/06/24/worlds-first-fda-registered-clear-uv-c-sterilizing-smart-mask-transparent-n99-mask/