JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help Android PDF trying to open in jw library

Hi all. Hoping for an answer here. This happened before and I couldn't figure out why so I deleted the whole library app on my mobile device and reinstalled the. Had to redownload all books etc.

Whenever I download any PDF and try to open it gives me the error pictured. I have tried to use the menu and click "open with" but as soon as I do that I get the same error. I have two apps that can open pdf's so it is not a lack of a PDF app.

I would appreciate any help so I do not have to drive to town to get data to redownload all my publications. Our data on home internet is limited.

I have a Samsung S10.

Thank you,

Julie51d0eb601ee565269ad328497648728e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, womandriver said:

Hi all. Hoping for an answer here. This happened before and I couldn't figure out why so I deleted the whole library app on my mobile device and reinstalled the. Had to redownload all books etc.

Whenever I download any PDF and try to open it gives me the error pictured. I have tried to use the menu and click "open with" but as soon as I do that I get the same error. I have two apps that can open pdf's so it is not a lack of a PDF app.

I would appreciate any help so I do not have to drive to town to get data to redownload all my publications. Our data on home internet is limited.

I have a Samsung S10.

Thank you,

Julie51d0eb601ee565269ad328497648728e.jpg

Sr. Julie, If I am understanding you correctly, you are downloading PDF files and asking the JW Library app to open them?  The JW Library app only reads (opens, displays) jwpub files, not PDF.  Android systems do have PDF file readers available but not JW Library.  

Hi Julie,

Last month, I helped someone with the exact problem. Somehow the PDF Default app switched to JWL. Here's how to fix it.

1. Open Settings

2. Go to Apps

3. Tap the More menu (three dots) at the upper right corner

4. Select Reset app preferences

5. A warning will pop up. Tap Reset Apps 

Then open a PDF and select open with the PDF app. Now all your PDF files should open with that PDF app.

I am not asking it to open the files it does it when I click to open the PDF. The file I am trying to open, for example, is my son's calendar. Generally it would open in Google drive or OneDrive or my PDF reader app but it automatically tries to open in JW Library and gives me that error.
So I figured it would try using "open with" and choose my PDF app..but as soon as I hit open with it get the same error it automatically tries to open in JW library.

Sr. Julie, If I am understanding you correctly, you are downloading PDF files and asking the JW Library app to open them?  The JW Library app only reads (opens, displays) jwpub files, not PDF.  Android systems do have PDF file readers available but not JW Library.  
I replied in the thread..

Hi Julie,

Last month, I helped someone with the exact problem. Somehow the PDF Default app switched to JWL. Here's how to fix it.

1. Open Settings

2. Go to Apps

3. Tap the More menu (three dots) at the upper right corner

4. Select Reset app preferences

5. A warning will pop up. Tap Reset Apps 

Then open a PDF and select open with the PDF app. Now all your PDF files should open with that PDF app.
Did exact steps twice. Still trying to open in Library. Did a restart and tried again. Still trying to open in Library. I went into jwlibrary in settings to see if there were any settings stores there that needed to be reset or removed and there are not. I'm really at a loss.

I'm not super familiar with the Samsung settings layout anymore, but on my Android 9 phone I would go to Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps or Settings -> Apps -> JW Library -> Open By Default and clear or adjust them from there.

I'm not super familiar with the Samsung settings layout anymore, but on my Android 9 phone I would go to Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps or Settings -> Apps -> JW Library -> Open By Default and clear or adjust them from there.
There were no settings in the jwlibrary to clear or adjust relating to PDF at all. It's so strange.

Have you tried opening the PDF files from another app that can read them rather than using 'Open With' on the downloaded file?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en_US X-Plore is my currently preferred Android file manager that has a PDF viewer built in. It could possibly have something to do with the File Manager that you're using.
Though on my phone I have my PDFs normally open with Drive PDF Reader, which I believe is included with Google Drive. They also have a standalone Google PDF reader. If you don't have another app on your phone like that or Amazon Kindle, perhaps it will always default to JW Library since it is erroneously tagged as a PDF viewer? Sorry, I ADHD'd and forgot your previous comment already.

Edited by Myew

I use file manager + from app store. Then open file manager, go to folder/file, usually on external SD card, then click on pdf file, select open file with, choose pdf app, select just once, open file. Voila.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I use file manager + from app store. Then open file manager, go to folder/file, usually on external SD card, then click on pdf file, select open file with, choose pdf app, select just once, open file. Voila.
Yup that's how it used to work. Now I have to go to my PDF app... Find the file through that and open. But if I go direct to the file in my file manager it tries to use JW library

Built-in file manager doesn't do this. It takes after market file manager.
I have an open with button in my file manager but goes straight to try he library when I click. Found out last night another sister with a Samsung device is having the same exact issue.

I tried with standard file manager that comes with Samsung - no go. However with an app like this gives me choices -Provided I select open "Just Once"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager&hl=en

here is another one, but I find it more intrusive

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=filemanager.fileexplorer.manager&hl=en

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 9 months later...

This post may help your problem as its related to Samsung Galaxy S10 and Adobe Reader:

Can't set Adobe reader as default reader for Samsung Galaxy S10 (Android)

I am a knowledgeable user. I am trying to set Adobe Reader as the default pdf reader. All defaults have been cleared and I am presented with a list of apps and the "just once or always" options . I select Adobe and tap always. I get this presentation whenever I attempt to open a pdf file. BUT if I choose any other app and tap always, that app is set to the default. The only one that won't work is Adobe

Maybe Samsung did a deal with Microsoft. I have the Samsung 20, and my default reader is MS...
I never tried Adobe as I only ever used the free reader, and didn’t pay for the other features. So having free Word was ok for me.

Old (Downunder) Tone

5 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

This post may help your problem as its related to Samsung Galaxy S10 and Adobe Reader:

Can't set Adobe reader as default reader for Samsung Galaxy S10 (Android)

I am a knowledgeable user. I am trying to set Adobe Reader as the default pdf reader. All defaults have been cleared and I am presented with a list of apps and the "just once or always" options . I select Adobe and tap always. I get this presentation whenever I attempt to open a pdf file. BUT if I choose any other app and tap always, that app is set to the default. The only one that won't work is Adobe

With the lack of quotes I thought you were the knowledgeable user :lol:

But then again you are :lol1:

6 hours ago, pgwenlan said:

We had this problem recently on a sisters android device.

You need to change the jwlibrary app settings.  android settings > apps > jwlibrary > open by default (near the bottom of the page) > clear defaults (at the bottom of the page)Screenshot_20210521-091253.thumb.png.49a0427baeaed69a64d962e49c5cdc2a.pngScreenshot_20210521-091301.thumb.png.0f7644b91fca88e271786721569eb3d0.pngScreenshot_20210521-091307.thumb.png.d59d7cd503decd30134810e25dcbe918.png

Thank you sooooooooooo much, Brother Peter!!!!

I have been trying to solve this problem for over a year now.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 7 months later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, Wendo said:

I have the same problem on my Samsung galaxy.  The problem is,  when I go to apps as directed above, JW library says 'no defaults set' so there is nothing to clear.  I've also reset all apps and restarted my phone but any files still try to open on jw library.

Same here.   The above fix didn't fix the problem for me, either. :( 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On 12/23/2021 at 7:19 AM, Wendo said:

I have the same problem on my Samsung galaxy.  The problem is,  when I go to apps as directed above, JW library says 'no defaults set' so there is nothing to clear.  I've also reset all apps and restarted my phone but any files still try to open on jw library.

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Install a pdf reader like acrobat and it will be solved

Or if you have one already, open a file explorer (normally there is one by default otherwise install one, for example solid explorer) search for a pdf file, press and old, choose "open with"

When a list of apps is chosen, select "use this always" and press the pdf reader

It will be solved otherwise let me know 😉

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

When I use the Chrome browser on my Samsung Galaxy to open a PDF it doesn't give me the option to use any PDF readers. However if I use the Samsung Internet browser I don't have any problem opening a PDF.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D