JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

US FDA announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma to treat Covid-19

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1303 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The FDA said more than 70,000 patients had been treated with convalescent plasma,which is made using the blood of people who have recovered from coronavirus infections.

Convalescent plasma is taken from the blood of people who have recovered from Covid-19. At the end of March, the FDA set up a pathway for scientists to try convalescent plasma with patients and study its impact. It has already been used to treat more than 60,000 Covid-19 patients.
However, like blood, convalescent plasma is in limited supply and must come from donors.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Shannie said:

distgusting we as witnesses can’t accept this

Its other people’s blood I’m pretty sure there will be an announcement about this soon

Taking other people blood is like pointing a gun loaded with bullets to your head. They do not now what they are doing.

Exactly.... but what if some brothers and sisters do except this ... wow.... because a great number of our brothers and sisters have died from the Covid-19....

looking at it just like a Vaccine not looking at the full Scope of what’s in the Vaccine

1 hour ago, Shannie said:

Exactly.... but what if some brothers and sisters do except this ... wow.... because a great number of our brothers and sisters have died from the Covid-19....

looking at it just like a Vaccine not looking at the full Scope of what’s in the Vaccine

I'm sure many of our Christian brothers will obey Jehovah's law. The issue of blood isn't a principle we discern, but an outright command forbidden us from taking it. Besides, it isn't ours but Jah's. Blood is Life; Life belongs to Jah. 

6 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I would like to read more about our stand on this particular treatment.  I cannot find anything.  Does anyone have a link or a Watchtower reference I can read?

This topic is a perfect platform to do deeper research about our personal stand on blood related issues. 
What is no brainer “no” when it comes to blood and various fractions? (Blood can be processed into 4 primary components) 

Blood  plasma can be source of many fractions. 
What would potentially classify as a “conscious” matter? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:
I would like to read more about our stand on this particular treatment.  I cannot find anything.  Does anyone have a link or a Watchtower reference I can read?

Keep Yourselves in God’s Love” p. 215-216 has a chart (see below)

w00 6/15 p. 29:

Questions From Readers

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses accept any medical products derived from blood?

The fundamental answer is that Jehovah’s Witnesses do not accept blood. We firmly believe that God’s law on blood is not open to reform to fit shifting opinions. Still, new issues arise because blood can now be processed into four primary components and fractions of those components. In deciding whether to accept such, a Christian should look beyond possible medical benefits and risks. His concern should be what the Bible says and the potential effect on his relationship with Almighty God...

Old (Downunder) Tone

P215.png

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Convalescent plasma — literally plasma from recovered patients — has been used for more than 100 years to treat a variety of illnesses from measles to polio, chickenpox, and SARS. In the current situation, antibody-containing plasma from a recovered patient is given by transfusion to a patient who is suffering from COVID-19. The donor antibodies help the patient fight the illness, possibly shortening the length or reducing the severity of the disease.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-covid-19

I'm surprised the amount of digging I had to do to actually find a definition of this treatment method.  Sounds like plasma is given to a patient and not just the antibodies alone 

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Convalescent plasma — literally plasma from recovered patients — has been used for more than 100 years to treat a variety of illnesses from measles to polio, chickenpox, and SARS. In the current situation, antibody-containing plasma from a recovered patient is given by transfusion to a patient who is suffering from COVID-19. The donor antibodies help the patient fight the illness, possibly shortening the length or reducing the severity of the disease.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-covid-19

I'm surprised the amount of digging I had to do to actually find a definition of this treatment method.  Sounds like plasma is given to a patient and not just the antibodies alone 

We appreciate your input. (I am trying to wrap my head around this subject myself) 

This method of treatment will not result in a permanent immunity. It will only be effective in shortening the duration of the current infection. And hen one will have to wonder what else is being transmitted.  Now, if the step of isolating the Immune globulins from the plasma as a fraction is taken . That would be acceptable to some, bit would still only shorten the recovery period.  Either treatment would be very expensive and yet a recent study ( Italian) has demonstrated a 30% increase in survival with the use of HCQ, ( inexpensive, widely available, and safe). 

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

HCQ, ( inexpensive, widely available, and safe). 

Unfortunately, that is debatable. Some studies say it is safe while others site numerous "side effects" with devastating long term problems.

The FDS has given us good direction - Quarantine, social distancing and masks have proven to be fairly effective with minimal side effects. 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

From The New York Times

BREAKING NEWS

Two P.R. advisers at the F.D.A. were ousted from their positions after the agency's chief acknowledged exaggerating plasma's benefits for Covid-19.

Friday, August 28, 2020 12:14 PM EST

The F.D.A. commissioner, Dr. Stephen Hahn, removed Emily Miller as the agency’s chief spokeswoman. The White House had installed her in the post just 11 days earlier. Ms. Miller had previously worked in communications for the re-election campaign of Senator Ted Cruz and as a journalist for the conservative cable network One America News.

Ms. Miller’s termination comes one day after the F.D.A.’s parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services, terminated the contract of another public relations consultant, Wayne Pines, who had advised Dr. Hahn to apologize for misleading comments about the benefits of blood plasma for Covid-19.

Read the latest
https://nyti.ms/2EC7g3k

https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/QYTBvuJOv93flk9iysBdYg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRhK7L0P0TcaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS8yMDIwLzA4LzI4L3dvcmxkL2NvdmlkLTE5LWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9NjAmZW1jPWVkaXRfbmFfMjAyMDA4MjgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MCZubD1icmVha2luZy1uZXdzJnJlZj1oZWFkbGluZSZyZWdpX2lkPTgzNzI5Mjc1JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzcxMTEmdXNlcl9pZD0xZTUxOGJiYmRhZTc5ZWFhZThjYWEzZjA3OGNiYjhmMlcDbnl0QgoAP_QtSV-zl82uUhN0d2VuejIwMDFAZ21haWwuY29tWAQAAAAA

Old (Downunder) Tone

On 8/25/2020 at 12:17 AM, Shawnster said:

Plasma is one of the four major components of blood. Plasma it is the fluid that carries blood cells arround The body. It is unaceptable for christians. It is not a matter of conscience

2 hours ago, Avuhe said:

Plasma is one of the four major components of blood. Plasma it is the fluid that carries blood cells arround The body. It is unaceptable for christians. It is not a matter of conscience

Not yet, its not a certain yes or no because in the English language we use the word a derivative of plasma

so more research is needed to see if it is actually plasma or does it come from the antibodies which were taken from the plasma   

38 minutes ago, comtemplate said:

Not yet, its not a certain yes or no because in the English language we use the word a derivative of plasma

so more research is needed to see if it is actually plasma or does it come from the antibodies which were taken from the plasma   

This topic was originally about plasma infusion to help combat the virus or reduce symptoms.  This is different than a vaccine. 

A plasma infusion contains plasma.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, Avuhe said:

VERY good comment.