JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Trump signs executive order to establish a 'national commission to promote patriotic education'

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1310 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/sojourner-truth
   I have read this woman’s biography and became a little angry that she was Barely mentioned in the High School History classes. 
         I currently work with a descendant of a family strongly associated with her and he didn’t even know who she was. 

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/wentworth-cheswell-black-man-rode-paul-revere/
    In absolutely no depiction of the Ride of Paul Revere in the public schools does this mans prominent role get attention. That , however, is the least of his accomplishments. Take notice also of his Fathers biography.  This is “ correct “ history that could certainly be presented as Unifying. But our age is one of the Iron and Soft Clay. It is owned entirely by the Enemy . 

13 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/biographies/james-armistead-lafayette

This mans Biography wasn’t even covered in “ Turn , Washington’s Spies “  much less got a mention in the deplorably run Public Schools.  

Well, "Turn" was fiction. Historical fiction, but fiction.  It's portrayal of Simco, for example, was exaggerated almost beyond recognition and contained a lot of inaccuracies.  If you were expecting accuracy you were watching the wrong program. 

14 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Well, "Turn" was fiction. Historical fiction, but fiction.  It's portrayal of Simco, for example, was exaggerated almost beyond recognition and contained a lot of inaccuracies.  If you were expecting accuracy you were watching the wrong program. 

Of coarse I wasn’t expecting accuracy. But a mention would have been appropriate. The story of Armested Lafayette is extremely compelling. As good as any of the fictional portrayals of Washington’s spies. His actions as America’s first double agent arguably supplied absolutely necessary intelligence which enabled Washington’s victories. 

On 9/18/2020 at 4:27 PM, Bob said:

That encourages victimhood and teaches children that they are victims of some invisible boogeyman. As long as one believes he's a victim, he's never going to have any success in life period and won't overcome hardship. People who don't think of themselves as victims usually overcome hardship. 

We are all victims - victims of Adam's sin, victims of living of Satan's world and the bad governments he rules over, and more.  I think what you're talking about is more than just victimhood per se, it's a kind of learned helplessness, being taught that the problems of which you are a victim are innate to the nature of reality and are always the way things will be.  Really, the worst victimhood people are taught to accept is the idea that this life is all there is.

Ooops!

Another case of misreading a title ... I was wondering why we would have a thread about Trump 🎵 "singing"  🎶  :eek:  

Then I realized it was  ✍️ "signing" ✍️  :wall: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Ooops!

Another case of misreading a title ... I was wondering why we would have a thread about Trump 🎵 "singing"  🎶  :eek:  

Trump 🎤 singing? That’s something I just cannot imagine.  I have listened to the slightly more imaginable William Shattner rendition of “ When I was seventeen it was a very good year “. Which haunts me to this day.

I have also heard Shatner [try to] sing ... although I like Star Trek (see Avatar and username) and think he was one of the best Captains ... I have never bought any of his "music" and don't plan to.

OTOH - have you ever heard him read an audio book? He is an excellent reader!

OK - I think we may have drifted a little   :offtopic:

back to Trump singing the national anthem (or whatever this thread is about)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Ferb said:

I think what you're talking about is more than just victimhood per se, it's a kind of learned helplessness, being taught that the problems of which you are a victim are innate to the nature of reality and are always the way things will be.  

If I understand your comment correctly , here's an example:

Michelle Obama says "Being Black is a crime in and of itself" as she recalls Chicago cops of accusing her brother Craig of stealing his own bike when he was 10 years old.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

Ooops!

5 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

Trump 🎤 singing? That’s something I just cannot imagine.  I have listened to the slightly more imaginable William Shattner rendition of “ When I was seventeen it was a very good year “. Which haunts me to this day.

What are y'all talking about:
Trump did a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody 😆

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Would this be required for all schools and include homeschooled children?

And, as the title says, this is a commission to promote patriotic education. Not enact, not enforce. 

A group of federal government employees whose job is to encourage or suggest schools teach patriotic curriculum.  

And right now it's just a proposal or idea.  

23 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And, as the title says, this is a commission to promote patriotic education. Not enact, not enforce. 

A group of federal government employees whose job is to encourage or suggest schools teach patriotic curriculum.  

And right now it's just a proposal or idea.  

Good point.  The federal government is very limited on its ability to influence state level government. That has been both a protection and a source of conflict from its inception.  Many US citizens fail to understand this so it’s no surprise that the rest of the world may wonder how the US can seem so scattered . 

After I read the title, it might be the first substantial proof of Trumps totalitarian tendencies.
Being a person who likes to play "the devils advocate" I had to research the context of it all.
It seem like it is a reaction to the so called anti-western/American narrative that's being told in the education-system. BLM and Antifa-like movements arguably being manifestations of this. 

Trumps answer is pro-western/American education. This is absolutely a warning sign, for a democracy, when politicians gets involved with what to teach in schools. Some would call it social engineering.  Something social justice movements already try to implement.