JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

M1 MacBooks with JW Library

19 minutes ago, Digital Darrell said:

JW Library... under emulation through Rosetta 2

No, Rosetta 2 is for running older Mac apps (apps built for Intel Macs) on the newer ARM-based Macs ("Apple Silicon M1"). The Mac will have to run JW Library natively or not at all.

Furthermore, the potential to run any particular iPad app on these new Macs is dependent on whether the developer of that app expressly allows it. Although, even if the dev disallows it, it may still be possible to obtain the JW Library.ipa file from your iPad and copy it to your own Mac and attempt to run it, as I described here.

It does seem highly likely that Bethel will 'optimize' the JW Library for iPad app so that it runs more or less how one would expect on a Mac, but this could take some real effort. Or they may test and find that it works quite well right out the box. No one outside bethel seems to know right now 😱

Thank you, @Brandon and @ronniejonesjr.

Hopefully, since JW Library runs so well on an Intel Mac under Parallels virtualization, it won't take too long to convert the iPad app over to the Mac. In the meantime, I'll use iMazing to grab the .ipa file and experiment with it on my M1, if the M1 ever arrives.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

10 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

It certainly sounds it. Well to be clear, it is the end of sideloading JW Library onto a Mac.

I still highly suspect WT Society Inc will officially release it for M1 Macs. Just needs a bit of internal testing before unleashing it. 

Edited by Brandon

It certainly sounds it. Well to be clear, it is the end of sideloading JW Library onto a Mac.

I still highly suspect WT Society Inc will officially release it for M1 Macs. Just needs a bit of internal testing before unleashing it. 

They will do so when or if the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses asks them to do so.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

26 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

They will do so when or if the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses asks them to do so.

The GB meets to discuss scriptural beliefs. They don’t decide details like this as a body; only the GB members who are on the appropriate committee (along with much insight from the helpers of that committee) bring about decisions like these.

There is no committee on which all of the GB sits. 

Edited by Brandon

I believe that the GB meets as an entire body on every Wednesday to discuss things as a group and make assignments.

Here is a quote from the website...

"In addition to its work through these committees, the Governing Body meets each week to consider the needs of the organization. In these meetings, the members discuss what the Scriptures say, and they yield to the influence of God’s holy spirit, striving for unanimous decisions.—Acts 15:25."

gb1.JPG

Edited by jwhess

Precisely, @jwhess  

they do not micromanage for every decision when scriptural principles are neutral on the decision; they regularly delegate to a particular committee. Then, the decision of the committee (headed by just two or maybe three GB members but not the whole body) is acted on. The decision that the two-three GB members make is also throughly affected by the input from the helpers, who do much research and present it to the two-three GB members who are serving on that particular committee. 

In all fairness, the app is not ready for prime time. There were still some quirks that were present due to side loading. Our organization has a long and robust history of taking advantage of new technologies, I’m sure this will be no different. The release of more M1 based machine will definitely contribute to them making the necessary updates to the universal binary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that the GB meets as an entire body on every Wednesday to discuss things as a group and make assignments.

Here is a quote from the website...

"In addition to its work through these committees, the Governing Body meets each week to consider the needs of the organization. In these meetings, the members discuss what the Scriptures say, and they yield to the influence of God’s holy spirit, striving for unanimous decisions.—Acts 15:25."
gb1.JPG.d8be0ee727f2c75f38e7b8519e5a3b7d.JPG

If congregation elders think they get a lot of mail, they should see the inboxes at the branches/RTO’s after those meetings...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 11/23/2020 at 4:57 AM, ronniejonesjr said:

I have the new M1 MacBook Pro and sadly the JW Library app does not work yet. The JW Language and JW Event app does work so it seems like they are at least testing it...

I just got the MacBook Air.  Amazing machine!  

Same here.  I tried the JW Language app and it runs well natively.  Thanks for the tip.   I hope JW Library shows up in the Mac App Store soon.  

Dear Brothers,

I stumbled across JW talk because I am looking for a way to install the JW Library on a MacBook M1.
Currently, Apple seems to have disabled all possibilities since 15.01.2021
Neither via imazing nor via Bluestacks is this currently possible. 
Only the old WT library can be loaded via an emulator (CrossOver 20 / Wine).
One hope is that our brothers as developers will release this.

Warmly greetings form good old germany

1 hour ago, dirk.albert said:

Dear Brothers,

I stumbled across JW talk because I am looking for a way to install the JW Library on a MacBook M1.
Warmly greetings form good old germany

Welcome Br. Dirk.  We all hope you enjoy the conversation and the company of our friends here....:sunshine:

On 12/30/2020 at 2:55 AM, ronniejonesjr said:

I used a program called iMazing. . . . .

I was looking iMazing up, and am confused about something.  Say I activate it on my current iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad.  That's 3 devices (the cheapest license).  

Then let's say that in a couple of months I change out both phones for newer models.  Does that mean I have to buy another 3-device license?

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

@LRJW you must not have read comment number 20, just above

I'm not referring to using iMazing to sideload JWL or any other apps.  I'm wondering if I use the software as an iPhone backup-maker or file transferer, will the software license cover only the first 3 devices I registered with, or will it transfer to new devices I buy to replace the older ones?