JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

M1 MacBooks with JW Library

You can, if you don't hate iTunes with every fiber of your being, which I do.  iTunes on Windows is a bloated, slow mess. Even on an excellent machine with high-end hardware.  And Apple makes it extremely difficult to add your own music or videos to your library.  I recently tried to put a video of a friend's talk into my phone using iTunes and by the time I finally finished doing it, all the joy was gone.  It was just a feeling of "Great, it's done, who cares."

And every time it stops working or freezes, I have to uninstall and reinstall it.  Seriously, iTunes for Windows users is a blight. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running JWLibrary on a 2021 Mac M1. There are several bugs that are needed to be fixed and addressed before it can be made available. Main the main issue right now is the Highlighting is very buggy. This makes it very difficult to highlight content. You are able to make notes. A few formatting errors with the next texts and headings for the new interactive publications. So, then just wait patiently. As we will definitely see it available in the App Store soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dear brothers!

I know this is a strange request but I'm planning to buy a MacBook Air M1 for my fiancee and then she's planning to sell her tablet if JW Library works well on the laptop. I'd like to know about multitasking with JW library on M1.

So, my question is: is there anyone willing to make a 5m zoom call so I can ask a few questions and see how the JW Library behaves on your Apple M1?

Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

• 3 weeks later...

JW Library on Mac M1 can be loaded if you can work the iMazing route, however the app is not designed for Mac OS and therefore isn't reliable enough to use exclusively in my opinion.  I still rely on my iPad for preparation and more advanced items.  Has several bugs still not worked out.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, Sebastian said:

Hello Friends,

With the M1 MacBooks being able to run iOS apps, just wanted to know if anyone has tried it yet. I assume it will work, but just wanted a confirmation.

Thank you! 

I have not been able to download anything "jw" related to my Mac Pro. It seems they're all Windows based which of course is in opposition to Mac os. If I'm incorrect on that, and you find a way to do it, please share! Thx

Voni in NC 😊

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

On 2/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, Nemo said:

I have been running JWLibrary on a 2021 Mac M1. There are several bugs that are needed to be fixed and addressed before it can be made available. Main the main issue right now is the Highlighting is very buggy. This makes it very difficult to highlight content. You are able to make notes. A few formatting errors with the next texts and headings for the new interactive publications. So, then just wait patiently. As we will definitely see it available in the App Store soon. 

I should hope it becomes available in the app store. I don't think I'll ever

purchase another Mac.

Voni in NC 😊

Edited by walkr2

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

• 1 month later...

My old Dell desktop, still running on WindowsXP, finally died.

(I had affectionately nicknamed it the Ancient of Dells) 

I had to switch over to my Mac Mini.   I knew it wouldn't be easy learning a new computer language at 70,

but the past two weeks have been stressful beyond even my wildest dreadings. :( 

I had already backed up everything I valued onto my Seagate mini drive.   So I transferred those files onto my Mac Mini.

Really missing my JWLibrary, though.    I'm going to research if there is a way to get it onto my Mac.

My Mini Mac runs on macOS Big Sur, which is supposed to have 'Stacks'...which I believe is supposed to help me get JWLibrary

onto my Mac...somehow.  Shrug.gif.1d0981d11f187427761bc9b74178a550.gif

:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On 2/22/2021 at 3:27 AM, dannysharedstuff said:

Hello dear brothers!

I know this is a strange request but I'm planning to buy a MacBook Air M1 for my fiancee and then she's planning to sell her tablet if JW Library works well on the laptop. I'd like to know about multitasking with JW library on M1.

So, my question is: is there anyone willing to make a 5m zoom call so I can ask a few questions and see how the JW Library behaves on your Apple M1?

Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

It is not available in the App Store officially. If you have developer access or can obtain an APK file you might be able to run JWLibrary. This only works on Apple Macs with the M1 chip. Multi tasking works well. JWLibrary in this format seems to also update without the App Store. When you update the files with the refresh button so it seems like they are trying to "Update From Within" . Now all of the features that are available in JWLibrary seems to be working...Check to see if you have touch alternatives.

It was mentioned that JWLibrary is on Windows and that they would not end up on Macs...This made me laugh as most of the computers used for AVS is Macs. But, they were probably looking at it from a cost ratio. As Windows are more affordable. Now that we we are all at home it seems like we may be getting JWLibrary on the Mac for several reasons. Security, Privacy, Backups and my favorite multitasking.

Yes, your notes can be shared across all of your apple devices like Microsoft. But it works with iCloud. JWLibrary has not been updated in over a month on iOS. Plus it sounds like it may be getting a "update". The JW Library app is working fine on iOS and on iPad OS so it should run natively on Big Sur...That being said...Be patient, if you don't know how to gain access to this file it may be worth just being patient. I have tested it out and JW Library will not run on a intel based computer...Virtual machines sorta work...But running JW Library on a Mac works well and I'm sure they are working on the main update for Mac first before it gets applied to Android-Microsoft. All JWPub files load up perfectly fine and work as intended. 

951597237_ZoomPopOutTimer.png

726378218_PagesJWLibraryPopOutTimer.png

699294102_ZoomPopOutTimerJWlibrary.png

149720626_JWLibraryZoomPagesPopOutTimer.png

Notetaking.png

s-34mp.png

ELF.png

JWLibrary.png

21 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I had to switch over to my Mac Mini.   I knew it wouldn't be easy learning a new computer language at 70,

I had already backed up everything I valued onto my Seagate mini drive.   So I transferred those files onto my Mac Mini.

Really missing my JWLibrary, though.    I'm going to research if there is a way to get it onto my Mac.

My Mini Mac runs on macOS Big Sur, which is supposed to have 'Stacks'...which I believe is supposed to help me get JWLibrary

I used parallels in the past to run my windows apps on my macs. 

So all my windows apps run alongside my Mac apps with no issues. 

Parallels can now run windows 10 on the m1 chip faster than boot camp on the intel macs apparently. 

I want the orange iMac. 😉

https://www.parallels.com/uk/pd/general/

On 4/20/2021 at 11:23 AM, Maanle said:

Hello brothers & Sister, today i saw the Keynote of Apple and it said the new iPad Pro will use the M1 , the question is do you think we will Apple soon to have JW Library natively on Mac M1

It’s not an issue of the M1 chip being able or not, it’s an issue of if the organization is willing to provide the manpower for the initial programming and the ongoing support. Although all of us Mac users would rejoice, only deep inside MEPS programming does anyone know what the plans are. ☺️ 

On 4/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

The new M1 equipped Macs are officially able to run iPad/iPhone apps of all sorts (like JW Library). But each app developer has the choice to say yes or no. Some developers don’t want their software from the iPad/iPhone to run on the Mac for commercial reasons (they eat you to buy a separate app for the Mac). Other developers (which seems to be our case) don’t want the support issues. I have my own opinion that JW Library is not officially available now for M1 macs because the organization is working on an official version. But it’s only speculation. ☺️  

• 3 months later...

I'm using Parallels on my MacBook Air M1 and can install JW Library, but it does not download anything. I can import jwlib files and stream the content, but not download. It just loops endless. It is strange as any other app installed works normally. Would anyone have any idea why this happens with JW Library? It certainly is not a network problem. This is very strange...🤔

Do, or do not. There's no try.

2 hours ago, JKalliola said:

I'm using Parallels on my MacBook Air M1 and can install JW Library, but it does not download anything. I can import jwlib files and stream the content, but not download. It just loops endless. It is strange as any other app installed works normally. Would anyone have any idea why this happens with JW Library? It certainly is not a network problem. This is very strange...🤔

Which Parallels version are you using?  I see a new Parallels 17 is out in Beta form.

@jwhess I'm using Parallels Desktop 16, the latest release.

@Andrew Wills Yes, I check updates everyday. I assume this insider version should receive updates as normal, so I do not need to download new image every time.

I tried also JW Library Sign language version - it has the same problem, not downloading anything.

Well, main thing I was trying to get JW Library working was to be able to show meeting media easy way. But yesterday I found this: https://github.com/sircharlo/jw-meeting-media-fetcher, tested it and it's just perfect 😀

But I hope in the future the iPad app can be used in Mac too.

Parallels with Windows 10 let's me use any other software I need perfectly - at the moment only JW Library is not working as supposed.

Do, or do not. There's no try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No JW library for Mac yet and sideloading iOS version doesn’t work. Using latest version  of parallels and windows 11 arm beta version works using windows version o JWLibrary. Can be fiddly to get working, and no guarantee that it will keep on working as arm version of windows 11 only beta version. 

5 hours ago, Andrew Wills said:

No JW library for Mac yet and sideloading iOS version doesn’t work. Using latest version  of parallels and windows 11 arm beta version works using windows version o JWLibrary. Can be fiddly to get working, and no guarantee that it will keep on working as arm version of windows 11 only beta version. 

What fiddling did you have to do? The watchtower dvd works fine for us but not jw library. Not sure what fiddling you might have done. 😊

Thank you.