JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Breaking News/Eritrea prisoners released (merged)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1184 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I received this video very early yesterday. I'm in an Arabic group and some in the field have jw friends in Eritrea. One of my friends received it directly from there. Nonetheless, if you don't feel comfortable with it, no problem

But! I have only send it to an Eritrean sister I know. Because, although the video is beautiful and emotional, I think it's also a very personal video. So.. Imo.. I wouldn't forward it.

About the mask: well.. I think that's of the least important things these brothers thought of. And 1000% understandable

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

But I thought the instructions are worldwide the same for the brothers and sisters....
Well it's isn't.
It depends on your location. Here we only wear masks in public buildings. And for all other circumstances: the head of the family has to decide what's best for his family, based on their specific circumstances.

I think HoneyflakeT is right

If you compare the picture of the two you see clearly they are not the same person...skin colour/nose etc

Our brother was 26 years in prison ....so the age is not right either....He  looks very fit and healthy and young

He also is carrying a Mobile....."Dear son, after 26 years the very first thing you deserve is a smartphone"  really???

Then where are the Brothers? Only Women?
And regarding the sound they are making:  is a long, wavering, high-pitched vocal sound resembling a howl with a trilling quality. It is produced by emitting a high pitched loud voice accompanied with a rapid back and forth movement of the tongue and the uvula...........
Ululation is practiced either alone or as part of certain styles of singing, on various occasions of communal ritual events (like weddings) used to express strong emotion....................
In Ethiopia and Eritrea, ululation (called ililta) is part of a Christian religious ritual performed by worshipers as a feature of Sunday or other services in the ... Churches. And it is also randomly (spontaneously) uttered during secular celebrations such as parties or concerts. Elsewhere in Africa ululation is used as a cheer, mourn or attention seeking sound by women
I expect at least singing of one of our original songs

I think HoneyflakeT is right
If you compare the picture of the two you see clearly they are not the same person...skin colour/nose etc   Our brother was 26 years in prison ....so the age is not right either....He  looks very fit and healthy and young   He also is carrying a Mobile....."Dear son, after 26 years the very first thing you deserve is a smartphone"  really???   Then where are the Brothers? Only Women? And regarding the sound they are making:  is a long, wavering, high-pitched vocal sound resembling a howl with a trilling quality. It is produced by emitting a high pitched loud voice accompanied with a rapid back and forth movement of the tongue and the uvula........... Ululation is practiced either alone or as part of certain styles of singing, on various occasions of communal ritual events (like weddings) used to express strong emotion.................... In Ethiopia and Eritrea, ululation (called ililta) is part of a Christian religious ritual performed by worshipers as a feature of Sunday or other services in the ... Churches. And it is also randomly (spontaneously) uttered during secular celebrations such as parties or concerts. Elsewhere in Africa ululation is used as a cheer, mourn or attention seeking sound by women I expect at least singing of one of our original songs
Eritrean sisters use it also. Not connected with religion. And even though some churches may use it, doesn't mean we can't

Come and visit our Arabic conventions, with people from the whole middle east, northern Africa and East Africa!
After the final talk youre not able to hear your own voice anymore of all the sisters (and some enthusiastic brothers) do the ulululululu.

22 minutes ago, HoneyflakeT said:

They said it is Negede 

Who say that it is Negede? Please rejoice they are free,  remember Eritrea is still under band. Some people have to remeber to dont talk about personal things so much, it can harm them or the 16 brothers and 8 sisters who remain in prison.

The first thing comes in your mind after several years when you meet your son, brother, relative, isnt where is my antibac. 

So please let us be happy, it is Jehovah who made this happend.

4 minutes ago, Just around the corner said:

Who say that it is Negede? Please rejoice they are free,  remember Eritrea is still under band. Some people have to remeber to dont talk about personal things so much, it can harm them or the 16 brothers and 8 sisters who remain in prison.

The first thing comes in your mind after several years when you meet your son, brother, relative, isnt where is my antibac. 

So please let us be happy, it is Jehovah who made this happend.

I was full of joy when I read the news on jw.org because I prayed every day for them.

But the joy doesn't depend on this video. I believe it when it is on our website

I was full of joy when I read the news on jw.org because I prayed every day for them.
But the joy doesn't depend on this video. I believe it when it is on our website
And that's your good right to do so.

Let us please go back to the joyful announcement that 28 of our brothers were released!

But I thought the instructions are worldwide the same for the brothers and sisters....

That’s true, but these instructions do not include wearing masks, but rather to take great care, protect yourself and your family, isolate as much as possible, and follow the guidelines from the authorities. If they suggest wearing masks, we consider it. If it is law, then we do it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I also wondered why no one was wearing masks until I looked up the number of cases in their country. Per www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries, their population is over 3.5 million people, but there have only been 632 cases total with only 124 of them currently active. No one has died.  It's hard to know if the numbers are low due to lack of testing or reporting. But it definitely appears in the video that masks and social distancing are not a priority in that location.

This is the announcement read this week at your midweek meeting (US Branch).  It is the December 2020 S-147 form.  This is the part to be posted on the information board for public viewing.

177-a.JPG.219667f61275643b65de017840d0fb59.JPG

This is true for the US Branch territory.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

This is true for the US Branch territory.

:offtopic:We got the same announcement in DE. But I agree that the local Branches relay relevant  instructions to the countries under their oversight.

(Sigh, I wish I lived in Australia/NZ....how does it feel to not have COVID and the related restrictions? Are the brothers back in the KHs and ministry?)

Edited by Skye

Added OT