JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why are so many US americans extremely ignorant about other societies?

14 minutes ago, Maria Keerie said:

Or 'Out of Africa ' perhaps that's what was going on lol

Think I combined it with Somewhere in Time and Out of Africa..saw them both..😄

think we're Out of Topic..🙃

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I have had people tell me they are from South America rather than name a particular country.

I have also found people who think Panama is part of South America. Likewise, many people do not seem to realize that Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama are part of North America.

And this is not confined to people from the USA.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

22 minutes ago, Maria Keerie said:

@Dove do join the group can go totally off topic on there 

Where is it and how to join..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

You can join my Telegram group and then the subject can go in any direction you want 

But it is also good to keep this QfR in mind:

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=2021327&par=0

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Those are good reminders! I’m fortunate that the group is still fairly small and manageable. I don’t what I’d do if it ever got to the “hundreds or thousands” of members it mentions in the article 😱

Edited by Brandon

The honest answer is because many US Americans are conditioned to believe that the world revolves around them so education about other countries and continents isn’t really stressed as much as US or state history.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:26 AM, GodlyDevotion said:

How many times have you heard Burkina Faso? 

When I first began to study, about 28 years ago, my Bible teacher was friends with and introduced me to a couple that were missionaries in Burkina Faso..so, yep, my ears perk up when I hear the name..I often wonder if they are still there..hmmm, I'll have to ask..

On 1/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, Hope said:

know where Ontario is but not as familiar with Saskatchewan and Manitoba. But I know they're in Canada. And that *is* one country

West Coast east, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfie -err Newfoundland-Labrador then up north are the 3 territories which are similar to provinces.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

To be fair to Americans, the US, is basically a federation of what amounts to 50 distinct countries.

In the US constitution it was stipulated that any law that wasn't made explicit in the constitution are laws that can be made by each state.
Also the US is such a big country much of the trade, agriculture, etc can be produced domestically. Domestic travel is far cheaper than international travel, and generally less of a headache, and being that there are so many places Americans can travel to with many terrains, there isn't much of an impetus to leave the country when going on holiday.

Of course, not all Americans are so ignorant. When it comes to Canada alone, I learned a good bit of the Geography. I know the maritime regions are the farthest east and include cities like Halifax and Charlottetown in Prince Edward island because I was a big fan of L.M. Montgomery's works. I also learned P.E. Island is where a lot of potatoes are produced. I know Quebec, and I believe New Brunswick are the two French speaking provinces. That while Montreal is the generally the better known city in Quebec, Quebec City has a super cool hotel made of ice. That Ottowa is the capital, in Ontario, but Toronto is the most populated city. That Alberta and British Columbia, to the West, are mountainous regions, that Vancouver in British Columbia is known for being "Hollywood North" for all the films made there, that the big cities in Alberta are Edmonton and Calgary, and that in the program 'Canada's Worst Driver', for some reason, quite a few were from Edmonton. That Winnipeg Manitoba is where the band Crash Test Dummies comes from.  I also used to watch a show called Corner Gas, which took place in Saskatchewan, and noticed how flat that terrain was. I believe it was actually filmed in Roulou.  I also know the band the Tragically Hip had several songs named after Canadian towns like Bobcaygeon. I also learned that Ontario was often where the Underground Railroad ended, due to the fact that what was then known as "Upper Canada", I believe, was the first region to free the slaves, even before Connecticut? in 1804.
Oh yes! and that the word Canada itself, possibly comes from the Iriquoan word meaning "Village" or "Settlement".

A lot this I know, though, because before I met my David, I used to talk to a Canadian guy. If we didn't get so acquanted I'd probably know a lot less about the area. I'd know that Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal were canadian cities, and about the Novia Scotia/P.E.I. cities I mentioned, but little else.
I mean, I have friends who used to only know about London in the U.K. who now can find, on a map the little town in the North of England where I am. It's a big world with a lot of geography to learn, and yeah, I get that Canada is the US's neighbor, but...so? For people in, say, Washington State, Indiana, or Vermont, I'd be shocked to find they knew little about Canada, being so close, but people in Florida, Mississippi, or Texas, yeah, it's kinda to be expected. I'm sure people in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona will probably know more about Mexico than your average Canadian as well. Although the barrier to knowing more about Mexico is also a language barrier. I find media like books and TV programs are a good way to learn more about other countries, but since Mexicans speak Spanish, if you're not a fluent Spanish speaker, you don't really get access to that kind of media.

Edited by Katty