JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane Ida Continues to Strengthen in the Gulf; Tropical Depression Ten Forms

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 959 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://whnt.com/weather/valleywx-blog/hurricane-ida-continues-to-strengthen-in-the-gulf-tropical-depression-ten-forms/

Conditions in the Gulf of Mexico are prime for rapid development; thanks to low levels of wind shear and warm sea surface temperatures. 

It is forecasted to strengthen to a major hurricane bringing destructive winds and life-threatening storm surge inundation to the coasts of Louisiana & Mississippi; 10-15 feet above ground-level is possible.

Track-2.jpg.a4a1ad8e1481a9a7281bb93b9600141a.jpg

Praying for our brothers and sisters in the path of this storm. :(

Tropical Depression Ten formed this morning in the Central Atlantic with max sustained winds of 35 mph. 

The current forecast has it strengthening to a Tropical Storm by Sunday morning.

The general movement is north at 8 mph and this will continue for the next several days. 

No impact to the United States is expected at this time.

Tropical-Depression-10.jpg.59b18807763dc560b2b19cc532590688.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

https://nypressnews.com/news/world/australia/ida-will-be-worst-hurricane-to-hit-louisiana-since-1850s-biden-governor-warn-residents/

Ida will be worst hurricane to hit Louisiana since 1850s: Biden, Governor warn residents

President Joe Biden urged Louisiana residents to ‘pay attention and be prepared’ today as Hurricane Ida approaches the US Gulf Coast – Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said today that the storm will be ‘one of the strongest hurricanes to hit anywhere in Louisiana since at least the 1850s.’

The impending hurricane, currently at a Category 2, could reach a Category 4 designation on the Saffir-Simpson scale by the time it makes landfall Sunday afternoon or evening – the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina – generating winds up to 140MPH and submerging a mass of Louisiana shoreline under several feet of rainfall. 

I have not posted in a long while. But I am on the Westbank of New Orleans. I am nervous to be honest. We definitely need everyone's prayers. A lot of friends are here and in Houma area where the hurricane will hit. The news said 150 mile winds when it hits, which means Grand Isle and Port Fouchon possibly can be wiped out. As far as know everyone has evacuated that area. We are having strong wind gusts now. We are as prepared as we can be. I live with my 42 year old son, but I am the only in the truth. I have several family members around here. I will try to keep updates. I pray we are not flooded, that is my main concern.

I have family working there, I text to see if he evacuated. It's going to be real bad.

Just heard from him, his company evacuated to Texas. 

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

42 minutes ago, april said:

I am nervous to be honest.

So, why didn't you flee from that area as reported in the news telling everyone to leave? We are asked by the Slave to heed warnings, are we not? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but find it hard to believe that many stay and try to stick it out hoping that they won't be affected! The case here in Tennessee recently that flooded most of the community,  people weren't given much of a warning as the flash floods happened so quickly resulting in loss of life and all if not most of their possessions!

12 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

So, why didn't you flee from that area as reported in the news telling everyone to leave? We are asked by the Slave to heed warnings, are we not? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but find it hard to believe that many stay and try to stick it out hoping that they won't be affected! The case here in Tennessee recently that flooded most of the community,  people weren't given much of a warning as the flash floods happened so quickly resulting in loss of life and all if not most of their possessions!

She may have moved to a safe facility. My father lives in Florida. Depending how far you are from the coast and other factors, the idea is to get supplies and your home ready not necessarily leave the state. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

9 minutes ago, april said:

If it had been a mandatory order as direction of the Slave all of us would have found a place to go I know Jehovah provides.

💜((((((((Sister April))))))))💜   :( 

Will continue to include you in my prayers. 👍

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On the lighter side I was able to give a witness to my neighbors for about an hour. It had a calming affect on me. And of course I am able to speak to my son. 

I know how to prepare and what to do as I have been going through Hurricanes since the 60's. And like they say every storm is different. We just went through Zeta last year and the eyewall went clear across us, it was very strange outdoors. We have back up supplies and are ready to help friends where needed. 

I live in an area with a big Coroner's bldg. two stores, the main police station and a big fire house.

25 minutes ago, april said:

On the lighter side I was able to give a witness to my neighbors for about an hour. It had a calming affect on me. And of course I am able to speak to my son. 

I know how to prepare and what to do as I have been going through Hurricanes since the 60's. And like they say every storm is different. We just went through Zeta last year and the eyewall went clear across us, it was very strange outdoors. We have back up supplies and are ready to help friends where needed. 

I live in an area with a big Coroner's bldg. two stores, the main police station and a big fire house.

We know you are following directions the best you can!  That is so kind of you to be ready to help others despite your limited circumstances. May Jehovah bless those efforts!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

https://maps.redcross.org/website/maps/images/Louisiana/LA_state1_evac.pdf

So you are on the West Bank of New Orleans, is there not an evacuation order given for your area,  according to this emergency evacuation order map?

A mandatory evacuation order has already been issued for New Orleans with recommendations for evacuation in other parts of the state. 

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell has called for a mandatory evacuation for areas outside of the levee protection system ahead of Hurricane Ida.

Cantrell said residents who choose to evacuate need to do so quickly. 

"This remains a fluid situation, but we will start seeing winds as early as tomorrow," she said during a press conference Friday. 

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2021/08/27/hurricane-ida-mandatory-recommended-evacuations-louisiana-new-orleans/5621370001/

I just remember traveling through New Orleans 2 years after Katrina hit on our way to our cruise ship, we could not believe the extent of the damage! On every side of the road for miles, homes & businesses devastated and Katrina was only a cat 3 - 

"Early on the 28th, Katrina reached a minimum central pressure of 902mb (at the peak) - ranking 7th lowest on record for all Atlantic Basin hurricanes - and rapidly intensified to a Category 5 (175mph).

Katrina then weakened to a Category 4 hurricane as it moved across the north central Gulf and weakened further to a strong Category 3 hurricane shortly before making landfall in southeast Louisiana"

2021-08-29_12h25_19.png

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-ida-updates-08-29-21/

More than 100,000 customers without power as Hurricane Ida slams into Louisiana

From CNN’s Gregory Lemos

There are now more than 100,000 customers without power in Louisiana as Hurricane Ida bears down.

According to poweroutage.us, 104,892 customers are without power as a result of Hurricane Ida, an increase of more than 24,000 in just 50 minutes.

There were 80,154 customers without power at 12:24 p.m. ET.

Power outages are expected to increase as the storm moves inland.

• Hurricane Ida: Ida has made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana, as an extremely dangerous, Category 4 hurricane with winds of 150 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. 

1 minute ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-ida-updates-08-29-21/

More than 100,000 customers without power as Hurricane Ida slams into Louisiana

From CNN’s Gregory Lemos

There are now more than 100,000 customers without power in Louisiana as Hurricane Ida bears down.

According to poweroutage.us, 104,892 customers are without power as a result of Hurricane Ida, an increase of more than 24,000 in just 50 minutes.

There were 80,154 customers without power at 12:24 p.m. ET.

Power outages are expected to increase as the storm moves inland.

• Hurricane Ida: Ida has made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana, as an extremely dangerous, Category 4 hurricane with winds of 150 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. 

Look Brother it was to late to invoke a mandatory evacuatio they had no time to do a contraband. I live here, you are reading news I am living it. Anyone outside of the levee protection which is low lying areas in Orleans and Jefferson parishes.  The source is here not what you are pulling up.

To maintain Christian conduct, I will not pay attention or reply to anymore of your posts after this.

I live inside the levee protection,  most elders are here as well as group overseers. We were not ordered to evacuate only voluntary in our area.

I have the news on nonstop as well as alerts on my phone.

Thank you. 

My sister in law lives in New Iberia - near New Orleans. She wasn't required (just strongly encouraged) to evacuate either. She stayed and says she is ready/ prepared.

We talked to her last night. I'll check on her later today to make sure she is ok.

We'll keep you in our prays too April!!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I’m such a coward that when the news says a tropical depression is becoming a hurricane I’d gather what I need, my 2 🐶🦮 and vamoose for parts unknown if I had to. I’d even sleep in my car in a “secure” spot if I had too. 

As much as I dislike winter here, I’d rather deal with snow. ☺️

We don’t have 150 mph winds here in the winter……YET.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

23 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I’m such a coward that when the news says a tropical depression is becoming a hurricane I’d gather what I need, my 2 🐶🦮 and vamoose for parts unknown if I had to. I’d even sleep in my car in a “secure” spot if I had too. 

As much as I dislike winter here, I’d rather deal with snow. ☺️

We don’t have 150 mph winds here in the winter……YET.

We were saying the same thing. We don't have many cold days not many hot days. Its fairly temperate albeit wetter than some like it, irritates me too but it's a fair trade.

But wind, yep we get horizontal rain. Sometimes get a hit of a typhoon from Japan, gusts of 147 near me. Lasted 3 days and fell swathes of forest. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Coastal_Gale_of_2007

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I understand Washington state rains a lot. My brother now lives in Port Orchard, so I watch the weather there for and on. I wouldn’t like all those grey days. Here just getting thru November is a trial for me.

Yes, we can get a lot of wet, cold, and very windy weather that month. UGH!!! 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, april said:

Look Brother it was to late to invoke a mandatory evacuatio they had no time to do a contraband. I live here, you are reading news I am living it. Anyone outside of the levee protection which is low lying areas in Orleans and Jefferson parishes.  The source is here not what you are pulling up.

To maintain Christian conduct, I will not pay attention or reply to anymore of your posts after this.

I live inside the levee protection,  most elders are here as well as group overseers. We were not ordered to evacuate only voluntary in our area.

I have the news on nonstop as well as alerts on my phone.

Thank you. 

Stay safe sis and you all in my prayers too.

Sister April, I fail to grasp your concern, what Christian conduct are you afraid of loosing? and why?

Quote: "To maintain Christian conduct, I will not pay attention or reply to anymore of your posts after this."

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Old said:

Sister April, I fail to grasp your concern, what Christian conduct are you afraid of loosing? and why?

Quote: "To maintain Christian conduct, I will not pay attention or reply to anymore of your posts after this."

Let us all be cool. We are going through a lot in the past 2 years. We are all  “ Little ones” as Jesus said. Matthew 18:10.