JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane Ida Continues to Strengthen in the Gulf; Tropical Depression Ten Forms

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 937 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Maybe Sister April is in such of state of mind, she is worried she might say words to unintentionally hurt the brothers. Extreme worries about one's well being, the past traumatic experiences of Hurricane damage will make a person lose their sense of Christian balance. Praying for Sister and her unbelieving members of her family as they face this monster of a 'perfect storm' again after the massive Katrina nightmare. The carnage of those past horrifying days are still fresh in their minds. Those frightening images still strikes fear in their hearts

https://abc13.com/hurricane-ida-katrina-path/10983768/

Spoiler

HURRICANE 

Ida vs Katrina: How the two hurricanes compare as New Orleans braces for impact

Sunday, August 29, 2021                <>MORE VIDEOS 

NEW ORLEANS -- Hurricane Ida is looking eerily like a dangerous sequel to 2005's Hurricane Katrina, the costliest storm in American history. But there's a few still-to-come twists that could make Ida nastier in some ways, but not quite as horrific in others.

Ida made landfall on the same calendar date, August 29, as Katrina did 16 years ago, striking the same general part of Louisiana with about the same wind speed, after rapidly strengthening by going over a similar patch of deep warm water that supercharges hurricanes.

What could be different is crucial though: Direction and size.

Katrina hit Louisiana from due south, while Ida came to the same part of the state from southeast.

"This has the potential to be more of a natural disaster whereas the big issue in Katrina was more of a man-made one" because of levee failures, said University of Miami hurricane researcher Brian McNoldy. Levee failures pushed Katrina's death toll to 1,833 and its overall damage to about $176 billion in current dollars and experts don't expect Ida to come near those totals.

Edited by happiness IS

My sister in law texted that she is OK, but with out power. Clearly cell service is working as long as her phone has power. 

This just reminds me how important it is to have some way to charge a phone in case you don't have power for a few days. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

https://abc13.com/hurricane-ida-katrina-path/10983768/ (same website as post # 28)

PHOTO GALLERY: Images from Hurricane Katrina

Reginald Banks pulls his uncle's tool box through foot high mud in Violet, La., in St. Bernard Parish, Sept. 17, 2005.

AP Photo/Paul Sancya

I thought it was wet cement.  

image.png.5e70aea2f5f23eef69de4f7672bcf0cd.png

17 hours ago, Lee49 said:

So, why didn't you flee from that area as reported in the news telling everyone to leave? We are asked by the Slave to heed warnings, are we not? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but find it hard to believe that many stay and try to stick it out hoping that they won't be affected! The case here in Tennessee recently that flooded most of the community,  people weren't given much of a warning as the flash floods happened so quickly resulting in loss of life and all if not most of their possessions!

Friends, we need empathy and discernment. We have a scared sister in the middle of a hurricane who fears for her life. It's the time to comfort and encourage, not to reprimand her.

13 hours ago, april said:

I live inside the levee protection,  most elders are here as well as group overseers. We were not ordered to evacuate only voluntary in our area.

I have the news on nonstop as well as alerts on my phone.

Sister April, I hope everything goes well and the hurricane stops soon. We are praying for you and all of our brothers and sisters affected by this storm. Please, stay as safe as you can. Prayer and talking to someone if possible can bring much comfort and peace of mind.

This has got to be the most scary hurricane. I read an article that said all of Louisiana is without power. 

Dear Sister as others have said, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Try to remain in contact with your elders so they know if you are doing okay or need help. 💜💜💜💜💜💜❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💜💜💜💜💜💜

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/29/1032316674/hurricane-ida-lashes-louisiana-leaving-new-orleans-without-power?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20210830&utm_term=5708883&utm_campaign=news&utm_id=53454414&orgid=545&utm_att1=

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

April is not the only JWT member living in the area ... we have some others in Ida's path.

Unless you have lived in a hurricane-prone state and have experienced a hurricane you really have no idea what is involved in trying to evacuate and/or live through one. Please, let's be supportive of all the JW's in the affected area. They need our prayers and any help we can offer.

Another forum I am on (not a JW forum, this one is about trains) has a member who lives in the Baton Rouge area (yes, they were hit by Ida) posted that, even though they lost their power when the storm hit, his area has already been restored. He did say that, as of the time he posted 20 minutes ago, his relative in NO has not gotten power back and probably won't anytime soon. While much of LA still has power, looks like most, if not all, of NO has lost power since a transmission tower was "catastrophically" damaged by Ida.

Looking forward to updates from @april  @Good-O and anyone else who lives in the area.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

@Qapla  Thank you and all you others for keeping us in your prayers.  I am ok.   Windy and rainy here today.   I am in Central LA, a few hours NW  of @april in NO.  and  New Iberia - not too far from New Iberia actually.  Had Ida moved a 'hair' West of Chauvin/Houma area we'd have been in the same shape as the others.  My heart and prayers go to all in the affected area.   Our disaster family here is already preparing/making plans to travel to SE LA.  Our SO got a call yesterday and asked if he was available for disaster work and of course he/wife are.  They are ready and will leave as soon as the brothers are ready for them.  Jehovah takes care of his loyal ones.  Please keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers.  There is a search mission, I guess that is the correct word to use,  taking place and areas that the recue units have not been able to enter - actually approximately 40 people stayed in Grand Isle, south of N.O., and there has been no contact due to the high water, no cell phone service, etc.  Governor Edwards just announced he will have the Federal Government use whatever drone effort they have to survey  Grand Isle and other areas they are just  covered in many feet of water.  My granddaughter and greats are here from the Baton Rouge area.  They can't even get back to their home.  There is no gasoline available; no electricity, even if there was gas. Governor said they plan to 'truck in' gas from other areas.  Hospitals and all are using generators but they will soon run out of gas as well.  Some SE LA hospitals were able to fly out a few ICU patients.  Hospital roofs have been blown off .  This is amid all the Covid patients.  People in my state have not been compliant with the vaccine much less social distancing.   People will NOT heed the warnings.  Reminds me of the WT lesson Sunday before last.  Last night a news reporter was reporting from Bourbon/Canal Street in New Orleans during the storm and a car drives past him!  People do what they want to do.  Such a shame.  So, keep your go bags ready.  Yes, we have survived many hurricanes but you never know how it will turn out.   Who knew Ida would set/sit on top of the towns of Galliano, Chauvin and Houma and Laplace for literally hours with more than 100 mile/hr winds!!  Ida was a Cat 4 for six (6) hours!  It may be classified as a Cat 5 after investigation.  So, let's keep everyone in our prayers, be patient with one another and continue to show love to our brothers and sisters.  

4 hours ago, Good-O said:

So, let's keep everyone in our prayers, be patient with one another and continue to show love to our brothers and sisters.  

We will do just that dear sis - yes, patience is needed for all of us these days - Beautiful WT lesson on Sunday/Saturday meeting for some.  

May Jehovah Our God be with all those signing and are affected  - special prayers for our dear brothers, sisters, families and friends in the area...

My sister in law near New Orleans is without power, but OK. Cell service goes in and out, but she has a solar power system to charge things and keep a frig running.

Home Depot is open and selling generators like crazy!!

The insanity continues.  :wave:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

29 minutes ago, trottigy said:

My sister in law near New Orleans is without power, but OK. Cell service goes in and out, but she has a solar power system to charge things and keep a frig running.

Home Depot is open and selling generators like crazy!!

The insanity continues.  :wave:

That's pretty cool that the solar power setup survived the 100+ mph winds, rain and debris. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

11 minutes ago, Polka Dot said:

May I ask, what is a DC-50 form?  

Application for volunteer worker for LDC 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Hi I have not been able to get internet until now. I wanted to give an update. My friend and sis from Evergreen, LA which is near Marksville picked me up. What a blessing, she drove 5 hours to get me and of course 5 hours we arrived 10:40pm last night. I had no phone service it was in and out. There are many friends throughout that have been affected. So far i have not found out who, I will get on Facebook after this and see what I can find out. I do have friends in Laplace they left pryor, but have lost just about everything. I have been worried and praying for everyone.

So as for me, my apartment flooded, the roof came down on top my car, we had to stay until it was safe to leave over Sunday night, praying the ceiling would not fall and it did not. Was able to move out a few things and bring to sons shop. The friends here letting me stay as long as need be. I have food stamps, applied for Fema and was able to contact insurance for my car. I am just grateful to be ok. Have continuously relied on Jehovah. Friends have sent me much encouraging Scriptures. 

Thank you all for your concern. I just found out some friends are evacuating now they have tarps on their roofs. I pray everyone is safe.

New Orleans East just got power. Oh and my son is with a work buddy he 42 not in Truth, and when power is restored they will let him stay at the shop he changes oil and tires.

Thank you, much Christian love.

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

Application for volunteer worker for LDC 

sadly due to caring for my mother, then my sick husband (cancer) while working full time, then developing health problems of my own, I was not familiar with this form.  But I wonder if I could be of use even in some small way now.  I am going to check with my elders.  Thank you

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

You have a lot of matters on your plate of responsibility sister Vickie. 

You can always support that work with prayers and modest donations. 

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

You have a lot of matters on your plate of responsibility sister Vickie. 

You can always support that work with prayers and modest donations. 

Thank you brother.  My plate not as full now... My mother, a very faithful servant of Jehovah's, and my husband (was studying and became an unbaptized publisher before his death)  are both now in the sleeper car, awaiting the resurrection.  I have lost so many relatives these last few years. It's heartbreaking.   What a joy the resurrection will be.  My health did certainly take a beating through it all though.   Its been a slow progress gaining some of my health back.  In the meantime, I will enjoy aux pioneering.  And yes, I will definitely continue to support with prayers and donations.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

My friend and sis from Evergreen, LA which is near Marksville picked me up. What a blessing, she drove 5 hours to get me and of course 5 hours we arrived 10:40pm last night

image.thumb.png.91766fb835f00b817da3dde1fe81f29d.png

The roads out of New Orleans must be jammed due the exodus from the affected areas. Praying for all those suffered losses from Hurricane Ida and may they arrive home safely and start the horrific repair works in their places of abode. 

White-capped waves appeared on the Mississippi River as winds uprooted trees, tore roofs from buildings and knocked out power for hundreds of thousands across the state. Storm surges inundated areas of the coast from Burns Point, west of New Orleans, to around Biloxi, Miss. Floodwaters threatened inland communities such as greater Baton Rouge, in Louisiana.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/29/us/hurricane-ida-a-powerful-category-4-storm-batters-louisiana.html

Edited by happiness IS