JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, September 24 Mind your own business.​—1 Thess. 4:11.

Friday, September 24

Mind your own business.—1 Thess. 4:11.

A person does not inherit his heavenly hope from his family. He receives it from God. (1 Thess. 2:12) So avoid asking questions that could hurt others. For example, we would not ask the wife of an anointed brother how she feels about the prospect of living forever on earth without her husband. After all, we can be absolutely sure that in the new world, Jehovah will “satisfy the desire of every living thing.” (Ps. 145:16) If we do not treat anointed ones as more important than others, we also protect ourselves. How? The Bible tells us that some anointed ones might not remain faithful. (Matt. 25:10-12; 2 Pet. 2:20, 21) But if we avoid “admiring personalities,” we will never follow others, even those who are anointed or well-known or those who have served Jehovah for a long time. (Jude 16, ftn.) Then, if they become unfaithful or leave the congregation, we will not lose our faith in Jehovah or stop serving him. w20.01 29 ¶9-10

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

The days text scripture also includes "to live quietly" . Just as we don't want to attract undo attention to ourselves in this wicked world, those of the heavenly class don't want to attract undo attention to themselves. And as the comments bring out, we don't want to make their life uncomfortable when they are around us. Those of the anointed need friends and encouragement just like the rest of us do and we need to be there for them to support them and help the best we can.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

# The text also helps us to stop meddling in other people’s affairs but to keep peace with our brothers & consider their feelings. 
# Not to behave indecently but to remain humble & modest

# Not to view Jehovah’s rewards (earthly/heavenly) to his worshippers as an inheritance but a privilege that requires us to be faithful. 

Thank you Sister Elnathan.

*** w16 January pp. 24-25 par. 10 “We Want to Go With You” ***

How can we show appropriate respect for those whom Jehovah chooses to anoint? We would not ask them personal questions about their anointing. We thus avoid meddling with what does not concern us. (1 Thess. 4:11; 2 Thess. 3:11) We should not assume that the parents, spouse, or other relatives of one of the anointed would also be anointed. Genetics or marriage play no part in the process. (1 Thess. 2:12)  Rather than raise questions that may cause pain, all of us can have full confidence that Jehovah will open his hand and “satisfy the desire of every living thing.”—Ps. 145:16.

The point about asking the anointed ones personal questions about their anointing makes scriptural sense, too.  Jesus prayed to his Father all night before he named his 12 apostles.  But still, as 2 Thess 2:13 says, God selected them, because they, except one, were to be of the anointed.  He doesn't need for us to advise or question Him, or decide whether or not His decision is right.

Even in the case of the angels that Jehovah let the prophet Micaiah know about, Jehovah wasn't asking them if He should forgive or excuse Ahab, He already condemned him, but He asked the angels, who will fool Ahab?  and He let this and that angel give suggestions, until an angel volunteered to do it.

All to say, "Mind your own business" certainly applies among us humans, but especially when we try to meddle over what is His business - which includes selecting.

Recently during telephone witnessing, this special pioneer/elder from East Asia asked about my health issues. Next he asked this rather well off Chinese sister whether their aged mother had old age problems like myself. That is a no no among the Chinese especially those from vernacular schools. Chinese people tend to be quite secretive about their family matters. Usually those from the upper classes especially are loath to reveal any problems happening in their family. I don't know if I'm the exception to the case because I'm English educated (poorly I dare say) or just plain foolhardy. I think it is the latter. One Western Asian brother here in this forum cautioned me not to mention my husband's Aspies status. Good advise really but I'm just such a blabbermouth with regards to airing my own dirty linen. I always thought one should share a tiny bit of personal info in order to bond with our spiritual family here. 

Perhaps Sister Maureen, you could start a new topic about what not to say in certain social circles. 

5 hours ago, Doug said:

What about Jesus own words at Mt 25:40 "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

It seems to incentivize treating the anointed better than average.

"Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor,..." - 1 Tim. 5:17

Would you say this is also "incentivizing" better than average treatment?

2 hours ago, M.J. said:

"Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor,..." - 1 Tim. 5:17

Would you say this is also "incentivizing" better than average treatment?

Indeed it does.  One small difference;  1 Tim 5:17 is a qualified statement. "Let the elders who preside in a fine way   .     .     ."  Those elders are worthy of double honor, respect and cooperation.

Jesus said that he considers our treatment of his brothers as our treatment of himself.  That is how we should feel about them.  Jesus didn't want to be treated as a celebrity, so we shouldn't treat the anointed as celebrities.  But we wouldn't necessarily merely view them as imperfect sinners.  We understand they are a special target of the devil and we love them for their perseverance.  Yes, we should afford them better than average consideration.