JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Won't wake up..

My desktop PC has developed a new behavior. It won't wake up. I finally discovered that if I unplug it and plug it back in, it will boot normally. I changed the settings so it won't sleep but I'm looking for a better solution.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My desktop PC has developed a new behavior. It won't wake up. I finally discovered that if I unplug it and plug it back in, it will boot normally. I changed the settings so it won't sleep but I'm looking for a better solution.

Do you have a gun?

5 minutes ago, Nirex said:

Do you have fast startup enabled? That can mess with the sleep mode.

What do you suggest? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

44 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What do you suggest? 

Try all of this, if it still doesn't work we can go through more troubleshooting steps. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/computer-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-windows-10/

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

2 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Get a gun and shoot the mouse (computer mouse or not)first before it get away, then blast the computer last. And all your problems will be solved. 

Thanks Dusty. Can you do me a favor and try that on your computer first and tell me if it works?

17 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Bad news, I have an IPad. 

Not a problem. Shoot it anyway...

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Sometimes the fan could get dusty and intermittently not spin up. Try opening up the casing to see if the fan spins up when you start the PC.

If the fan doesn't spin, you can check to see if there is a  thick layer of dust on the fan. Vacuuming the dust off may cure the problem.

11 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Sometimes the fan could get dusty and intermittently not spin up. Try opening up the casing to see if the fan spins up when you start the PC.

If the fan doesn't spin, you can check to see if there is a  thick layer of dust on the fan. Vacuuming the dust off may cure the problem.

Thanks. I did that and everything was normal and it still won't wake up unless I unplug it.

Edited by Tortuga

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

How old is the PC? If the internal battery (if it has one) has died, that may keep it from waking up.

I wondered about that but it is a desktop PC that stays plugged in. When I unplug it, it will boot normally. Would a dead internal battery allow that?

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

Sometimes the fan could get dusty and intermittently not spin up.

I had this problem with my desktop PC and it was the dust in computer tower unit (probably the fan). After 2 months, I had the same problem of putting the pc to sleep and it not wanting to wake up. Unplug the pc and it was working. Time for another round of vacuuming. 

4 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Yep, I "vacuum"  my computer every 3 months. 

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I wondered about that but it is a desktop PC that stays plugged in. When I unplug it, it will boot normally. Would a dead internal battery allow that?

Could be "communication" problem between motherboard and power supply? 

Have you checked that all internal connections are solid and secure? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Perhaps you would like to contact WHO organization, and report first case of  Narcolepsy occurring in non-human environment🤣

Please implement social distancing from other computers, as we do not need another pandemic :nope:

(who knows what virus is sleeping there? LOL :lol1:)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

15 hours ago, Nirex said:

Try all of this, if it still doesn't work we can go through more troubleshooting steps. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/computer-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-windows-10/

Thank you for your help. I'll let you know if these suggestions work.

10 hours ago, happiness IS said:

I had this problem with my desktop PC and it was the dust in computer tower unit (probably the fan). After 2 months, I had the same problem of putting the pc to sleep and it not wanting to wake up. Unplug the pc and it was working. Time for another round of vacuuming. 

I use canned air and blow out the dust regularly. I did open the PC yesterday and blow it out again but it was still very clean. The PC was still staying in Sleep mode even after I cleaned it. I currently disabled the Sleep mode and the PC is doing fine but I hope to find a better solution. I will be trying some of the suggestions that Nirex posted and I will begin shopping for a new desktop PC soon, just in case...

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I use canned air and blow out the dust regularly. I did open the PC yesterday and blow it out again but it was still very clean. The PC was still staying in Sleep mode even after I cleaned it. I currently disabled the Sleep mode and the PC is doing fine but I hope to find a better solution. I will be trying some of the suggestions that Nirex posted and I will begin shopping for a new desktop PC soon, just in case...

I have a PC that has the same exact problem you have.  Had the problem since day 1 (it was a refurbished machine).

It's probably a BIOS issue, and BIOS needs an update, but I never bothered with it.  I just disabled sleep mode altogether and do a shutdown.  So....I never "fixed" my own problem, I just worked around it.  :raspberry:

All that to say, I don't think your computer's about to break (so no need to look for a new one).  Probably needs BIOS updated, or another driver updated, and then it will be fine...

20 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Would a dead internal battery allow that?

As asked, how old is it? Most motherboards have a standard CR2032 coin style battery for the BIOS/CMOS, which can last roughly 10 years, maybe more. Motherboard warranties tend to be much shorter, at most 3 years. Simplest way to know it needs a new battery is when your computer no longer holds time or BIOS settings when shut down. Also depending on the motherboard, sometimes the tabs holding the batteries get broken when you go to replace them...

I've had a couple of computers break sleep mode and/or restarts before, though I believe that was due to some static damage or capacitor failure on the motherboard. Protip, never vacuum the internals of your computer or any external 3.5mm/usb/etc ports that can carry static shock. Use an air bulb or compressed air.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/ Personally, I disable Fast Startup on my machines. I'd recommend at least disabling sleep settings for now, just have your computer at least turn off the display when you go away, and do manual shutdowns when not using it. Personally, lack of sleep was never enough for me to warrant a new computer, provided it still does what is needed.

Edited by Myew

55 minutes ago, Myew said:

Simplest way to know it needs a new battery is when your computer no longer holds time or BIOS settings when shut down.

As you said, he'd be having other symptoms if it was a battery issue. Don't know if PCs still do this, but he might even be stopped on bootup with a POST test error. So I'd rule out the CMOS battery as a culprit...

More than likely a BIOS or other driver update is needed.

If I decide to buy a new computer, what is the easiest way to transfer everything from the old computer to the new one?

When I buy a new Samsung phone, there is an app that transfers everything, hidden files, settings, wallpaper, apps, everything. Is there something for Windows that does the same thing?