JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pineapple Express Set to Deliver Severe Weather to Western U.S.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 906 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Bomb Cyclone & Atmospheric River Event to Bring 4 Feet+ Snow to West

https://weatherboy.com/bomb-cyclone-atmospheric-river-event-to-bring-4-feet-snow-to-west/

More than 4 feet of snow could fall in parts of the higher elevations as a result of this storm system. 

An “atmospheric river” phenomena is forecast to bring an incredible amount of moisture to the Northwest in the coming days, bringing heavy rain and snow to the region. 

With an area of low pressure expected to rapidly intensify and deepen, it’ll take on characteristics of a “bomb cyclone” later tomorrow into early Monday. 

By Tuesday,  several inches of rain are expected to fall over lower elevations while more than 4 feet of snow will fall over the mountainous terrain.

A bomb cyclone is a meteorological term for a storm system that undergoes a period of rapid intensification. 

A process called bombogenesis can occur when a mid-latitude cyclone intensifies rapidly over a 24-hour period, dropping at least 24 millibars of atmospheric pressure. For a more typical non-bomb cyclone, an area of low pressure could fall 10-15 mb in the same period. Generally the more the pressure drops, the more severe the storm; these systems moving on-shore can bring damaging winds, heavy precipitation, and the threat of coastal flooding and surge.

An atmospheric river refers to a narrow stream of concentrated moisture in the atmosphere.

The most common atmospheric river event is nick-named “Pineapple Express”; in this type of situation, a robust stream of moisture near the Hawaiian islands flows north and east into western North America, dropping copious amounts of rain and snow as it interacts with the terrain there. 

These long, narrow atmospheric rivers help transport moisture from the tropics, in water vapor form, to areas far from the tropics.

The liquid equivalent of these moisture plumes could be comparable to the water flowing through the mouth of the Mississippi River, according to NOAA.

On Sunday, the associated front  tied to this bomb cyclone will move  into the West Coast, advancing inland to the Northern High Plains to the Great Basin/Southern California by Monday evening. 

Moisture will stream into Central/Northern California overnight Saturday, turning into a powerful stream of moisture on Sunday. 

On Monday, the moisture stream will move southward along the coast while weakening.   

As the moisture stream increases, the National Weather Service’s Weather Prediction Center  has issued a High Risk of excessive rainfall over parts of the Sierra Nevada Mountains on Sunday into Monday morning. With the High Risk, significant, and potentially life threatening flash flooding is expected.

Praying all our brothers and sisters make it safely through this record storm.  💜:(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I've been watching the warnings since yesterday, the FS groups were notified too. Supposed to be the lowest pressure front since the last lowest one in 1951. Lights are flickering already this morning. I just hope someone doesn't try to go watch the storm on the jetties, they won't evade the sneaker waves.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Just now, Loopy said:

Please be careful, and watch for danger ⚠️ signs. Hope everyone stays safe.

Thank you. It rained pretty heavily here all night and will be heavy rain all day. We aren't in a flood zone and we are use to high winds, so there doesn't appear to be any danger. The congregation elders are checking on everyone and no one in the congregation needs help yet.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

As long as I ignore the news. I’m okay. It’s raining, and we needed it. It will good to see the rivers look like something besides pathetic streams. 
Oh, and no highways closed, so far…

The fact we have not much snow pack makes a big difference. In the past, if we had these pineapple expresses, it would melt the snow in the high country. That’s when we start loosing bridges. 

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

14 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Stinking lights are now out😠

Did Lew set up the generator?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Nope. I'm sitting with my head lamp and big flashlight and my phone plugged into my truck for an hour. Have my big coat on and put coats on the dogs. Wind is howling and rattling the roof! 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

8 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Haft go sit in the truck to charge my tablet, note to self get a solar powered charger.

I have DeWalt tools so I bought a USB adapter that lets me use any of the DeWalt batteries to change my devices. Oh..in the comfort of my favorite chair...😁

Ok, welp that's now on my list! I too have Dewalt.

Power still out at 8 am, was told a pole at PUD broke in half. Sister said it won't be back on till late afternoon. Greaaaat gonna hafta figure out how to use the generator.

41 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Still no power, off for 16 hours so far. Lots of damage to the sub station, multiple poles taken out by the big pole on the road. MH coming home soon to fire up the generators.

Freezers are good for 48 hours but refrigerators are good for only 4 hours. Too bad...