JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

45 Million People Now Facing Famine

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 769 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

UN food agency: 45 million people on the edge of famine

The UN agency says global hunger spiked by three million within a year, with conflict, climate change and COVID main driving factors.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/8/un-warns-of-sharp-rise-in-number-of-people-facing-famine

8 Nov 2021

The United Nations food agency has said that the number of people on the edge of famine across 43 countries had risen to 45 million, as acute hunger spikes around the world.

The jump from 42 million people earlier in the year was largely down to a food security assessment that found another three million people facing famine in Afghanistan, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Monday.

And the black horse rides on...:(  

4ee6a4308c6ed92f809b2cc44f741d35.jpg.a6b6e836a2f548506c5e9dc01eef8596.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

That is such a dramatic picture! It doesn't appear to be one of ours, though, is it? Where did it come from?

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

That is such a dramatic picture! It doesn't appear to be one of ours, though, is it? Where did it come from?

Free download on Pinterest. 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

*** g75 2/22  What Happens When Famine Strikes ***
“At a typical gruel kitchen at Mirpur, a crowded suburb of [Dacca], 1,000 people line up for one piece of roti, or unleavened bread, made of wheat flour. The ration is supplemented by one protein biscuit and three ounces of milk donated by the Red Cross. This food is served only once a day in the afternoon. There is so much scrambling and fighting that the supervisors have used canes to keep order in the crowd, made up mainly of old men, women and children who look shockingly famished.”

Outside this city conditions are even worse, the report says. There “the destitutes begin coming to the feeding center in the early morning for half a piece of roti that will be handed out in the late afternoon. No milk or lentils are supplied.”

Spoiler

Desperate Search for Food

Nigeria’s Daily Times, in its issue of November 28, 1973, reports concerning famine conditions that had developed at that time in the northeastern part of the country: “People . . . are now pulling down ant hills in search of food believed to be stored there by the ants as the onslaught of the drought in the state and devastation of farms by locusts persist.”

India, too, is undergoing extreme famine conditions. State officials say that villagers in isolated areas are living on roots, leaves and grass from parched rice fields.

A foreign relief worker reports on conditions in Calcutta: “By nutritional standards some of these people should be dead. You see some children eating grass, rats, the green scum off tanks.” Bernard Weinraub, writing in the New York Times of September 5, 1974, states: “The most searing scenes are visible. A child watches another eat an ice-cream stick. When the ice cream is finished and the wooden stick tossed in the gutter, the watcher picks it up and sucks it.”

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=101975123&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=4

image.png.fdc392840218669dd2895d9a4b520f33.png

United Nations: Over 400,000 people have “crossed the threshold into famine” in Ethiopia’s war-torn Tigray region, a senior UN official said Friday, appealing for urgent humanitarian action to help the millions affected by the brutal eight-month-long conflict.

https://wetheworldmagazine.com/news/world-news/400000-people-facing-famine-in-war-torn-tigray-un/214256/

Estimates of how much money it would take to end world hunger range from $7 billion to $265 billion per year.  

Why such a big range? Because experts disagree about how to end world hunger. 

https://www.globalgiving.org/learn/how-much-would-it-cost-to-end-world-hunger/

How much food is wasted in the U.S. can be seen directly through its monetary losses. The annual food waste in America has an approximate value of $161 billion, while the average American family of four throws out $1,500 in wasted food per year.

https://www.rubicon.com/blog/food-waste-facts/

The amount of food wasted in the US could either feed all or at least over half of the world's hungry.  That's just the US.  Now add the amount of Food Europe wastes. 

Man's greed is the root cause of starvation. 

34 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Estimates of how much money it would take to end world hunger range from $7 billion to $265 billion per year. 

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/#:~:text= Jeff Bezos is the world’s wealthiest person,rise in Amazon’s shares since our 2019 list.

So, just a handful of the super rich could solve the hunger problem!

2021-11-08_22h09_15.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/22/realestate/buy-nothing-facebook-group.html

image.png.713caad2e9b5aa9db514cc110315b523.png

*** w11 9/15  Jehovah Is My Share ***

It appears that the Mosaic Law provided for a second tithe, which was set aside for the household’s sustenance and enjoyment during the holy conventions each year.  However, at the end of every third and sixth year of the seven-year sabbatical cycle, this tithe was deposited at the gate for the benefit of the poor as well as the Levites.

How loving of Jehovah to make provision for the poor and those serving full time in His temple. I remember years ago, a young well off brother would give a fixed amount of money every month to a full time servant of God. Do I honor the principle behind the 2nd tithe? Hardly. Maybe I need to rein in some of the frequent short holidays I indulge myself each year. In fact when I compare myself to those in the congregation with high paying jobs (>USD 5,000), I'm positive I live way below the poverty line (according to the government statistics) Maybe I need to look in on how the African brothers are faring. 

Edited by happiness IS

53 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I shall pray for them and see if there are are are ways of sending practical help through charitable organisations.

I've considered supporting relief organizations but I can't support the salaries that the administrators are given.  Sometimes, and it's not a common thing, an individual will be "hired" simply for their name recognition or fundraising power.  I guess it makes sense if they can bring in more money than they are paid.

Ours is the only organization that carefully uses funds with nothing going out for administrator salaries. I know we aren't trying to solve world hunger though.  The problem is tragic and scary.

The situation in Afghanistan is terrible. It went from a country which was at least doing okay to being one of the world's largest food crises in just 3 short months. We see the world deteriorating every day as we draw closer and closer to the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/oct/25/countdown-to-catastrophe-half-of-afghans-face-hunger-this-winter-un

More than half of Afghanistan’s population is facing acute hunger as the country has been thrown into one of the world’s largest food crises.

“Afghanistan is now among the world’s worst humanitarian crises – if not the worst – and food security has all but collapsed. This winter, millions of Afghans will be forced to choose between migration and starvation,” the World Food Programme’s executive director David Beasley said, adding that “we are on a countdown to catastrophe”.

Only 5% of households have enough to eat every day, the UN said. Many families who fled fighting before the Taliban takeover can’t afford to go back home, instead remaining in makeshift camps with no source of income. About 3.5 million people remain displaced within the country.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

9 hours ago, Doug said:

I've considered supporting relief organizations but I can't support the salaries that the administrators are given.  Sometimes, and it's not a common thing, an individual will be "hired" simply for their name recognition or fundraising power.  I guess it makes sense if they can bring in more money than they are paid.

Ours is the only organization that carefully uses funds with nothing going out for administrator salaries. I know we aren't trying to solve world hunger though.  The problem is tragic and scary.

There are some independent fund raising groups out there as well, that are not mainstream organisational charities that use those methods.

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

There are some independent fund raising groups out there as well, that are not mainstream organisational charities that use those methods.

True.  There are groups that take matters into their own hands and try to help without a bloated administration.  Gotta give 'em credit - at least they're trying.

Most likely (it seems) they probably have some connection to BtG.  I see the commercials on TV about helping starving Jews in Russia.  In many ways it's a business.  They spend money advertising their mission in order to attract donors.  And they probably pay themselves even a modest salary because it's a full-time gig.

The big organizations are another story.  Back in the '90's Elizabeth Dole was the president of the American Red Cross.  She received $250,000. a year for that role.  Although she has many accomplishments to her credit,  this role seemed more symbolic as the wife of Senator Bob Dole. Nevertheless, she was probably effective at fundraising as are politicians.

There are watchdog groups that keep a close eye on the not-for-profits and they claim as little as .10 cents of every dollar actually reaches the ones in need.  That's disgusting.

This reminds me of another situation.  During one of our conventions, a pan-handler walked in and approached some of the friends asking for a dollar or two.  One brother told him No , but another brother took out his wallet and gave him a $20.   What would Jesus have done?

• 2 weeks later...

Wealth hoarding....  Jesus summed it up... They will want to kill you.....the poor...

All resources are all here... Matter of haughty poeple being selfish and not sharing.... 

Ofcourse some are poor cause they might be foolish....  Be interesting for a true statistic on those that work fulltime and still are homeless.

• 3 months later...
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

While global attention is focused on Ukraine, said WFP in a press release, a “hidden hunger emergency” is engulfing South Sudan with about 8.3 million there – including refugees – facing extreme hunger in the coming months.

South Sudan forms part of a ‘ring of fire’ encircling the globe where climate shocks, conflict, COVID-19, and rising costs are driving millions closer to starvation, said the UN emergency food relief agency

The extent and depth of this crisis is unsettling. We’re seeing people across the country have exhausted all their available options to make ends meet and now they are left with nothing,”

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1113802?utm_source=UN+News+-+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c19072c543-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_03_12_01_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fdbf1af606-c19072c543-108071566

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.