JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 608 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

28 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

Anybody know the reason behind the change?

I believe it has to do with the fact that a still background is easier to edit. The one they used in the past was always moving, so when they edited the broadcasting or had to start over again, you would notice it. But now they can edit and you might not even notice it.

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Possibly because it was too distracting and it made editing more difficult.

8 minutes ago, Br. Ice said:

I believe it has to do with the fact that a still background is easier to edit. The one they used in the past was always moving, so when they edited the broadcasting or had to start over again, you would notice it. But now they can edit and you might not even notice it.

Now, come to think of it, I do remember a couple of times where I saw the background suddenly jump to a new location.  I thought it was a technical glitch with the display that cause it.  I never thought of editing.

What I notice different too is that the first one was mainly of the Continental United States while the new one is more International.
Most  of the talks and videos are about global  subjects and places so this screen would seem to be more inclusive . 
We are a worldwide organization. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

6 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Does anyone remember when the background rotated in the wrong direction for the first couple of months?

I hadn't noticed that!

It changed direction in January 2015

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

I hadn't noticed that!

It changed direction in January 2015

Br. Richard, I am glad you found the date.  I was just going to review the broadcasts and try to pick out the date of the change.  It saved me some time this morning, thanks.

I had mentioned this to some brothers after the second broadcast.  I got out my physical globe and a flashlight and demonstrated the effect.  But I never said anything to the Branch.  When it changed a couple of months later to the correct rotation, my local friends thought I had written.  I assured them that there were 1000's of others that had noticed and it was not necessary for me to take part.

It is a piece of "theocratic" history now.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

It is a piece of "theocratic" history now

It's not the first time the brothers have changed direction and the way we view the world..🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's not the first time the brothers have changed direction and the way we view the world..🤣

I believe that the "little globe" that spins in the Broadcast introduction (where the panels fly-out to emphasize the global work) still rotates backwards but it is not as obvious as the whole map going the wrong way.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Does anyone remember when the background rotated in the wrong direction for the first couple of months?

YES!  It bugged me to no end!  I was so glad when they fixed it.

Now if they would only fix the "Bible" at the end of the introduction videos.  It opens backward.

Now if they would only fix the "Bible" at the end of the introduction videos.  It opens backward.
I searched for the videos, but I don't see it
Because the animation at the last few seconds shows a Bible closing, then turning to the back of it and it shows jw.org.
I think this is on purpose. It would be weird to have an animation of a Bible and then showing the jw.org logo on the front

Also checked the Arabic animation, and it is the other way around. But also shows the back of the Bible for jw.org.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Do you mean when the bible closes and flips up on its end to show the JW logo? It looks like the logo appears on the back of the Bible. If it rolled forward instead of backwards, the logo would appear on the front.

1 hour ago, Sepie93 said:

I searched for the videos, but I don't see it

Br. Sebastian, are you referring to the JW Broadcast background from the early days?  When we first started the objects on the screen moved left and new countries appeared on the right.  In just a few months it was changed to the opposite.  You can replay some of the 2014 broadcasts and then look ahead a few months in 2015 and see the difference.

jwb1.JPG

jwb2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, jwhess said:

I don't understand what made it the right or wrong direction..a globe can turn in any direction

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 1/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, Shawnster said:

Aren't there some ethnic groups that read books not just from right to left but also from back to front..Japanese or Jewish. (maybe not modern Japanese) but there might be some others that do still..so this would not be wrong from that point of view..I'm sure there's an explanation other than being a mistake that they are not fixing..

16 minutes ago, Dove said:

I don't understand what made it the right or wrong direction..a globe can turn in any direction

It's supposed to be a view of the earth from space at night.  The earth always rotates in one direction, and they had it rotating in the wrong direction according to what you would see from space.

2 hours ago, Dove said:

I don't understand what made it the right or wrong direction.. a globe can turn in any direction

Sr, Sandra, if the earth rotated the opposite direction, the sun would come up in the west.

If you have a globe map that turns (like we used to have in the public library) just shine a flashlight on it and turn the globe in either direction.  If the light from the flashlight  illuminates the east coast (like New York) before the light gets to the west coast (like Los Angeles) then you are turning in the correct direction.

It is interesting that one of the large network news agencies had their globe spinning backwards in their news show logo as well.  All is fixed now.

2 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

It's supposed to be a view of the earth from space at night.  The earth always rotates in one direction, and they had it rotating in the wrong direction according to what you would see from space.

Thank you..I wasn't thinking of the way the earth rotates ..just thought of it as showing the beauty of the earth and space...🙂

2 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

49 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Sr, Sandra, if the earth rotated the opposite direction, the sun would come up in the west.

If you have a globe map that turns (like we used to have in the public library) just shine a flashlight on it and turn the globe in either direction.  If the light from the flashlight  illuminates the east coast (like New York) before the light gets to the west coast (like Los Angeles) then you are turning in the correct direction.

It is interesting that one of the large network news agencies had their globe spinning backwards in their news show logo as well.  All is fixed now.

Thanks, the only thought I had left is why it took anyone so long to notice it..maybe because the broadcasts are made so long in advance it wasn't noticed until they aired and couldn't be changed at that time..?

• 6 months later...

Another reason of why they use a static wallpaper is not just because of editing, but also to make the video file smaller.

When the background was the moving earth night view, the 720p file is about 20-25% larger than the static background file.

I say it is done for purpose for brothers that are limited in data storage or data transfer time.

You can the difference of the file size in the theme talk for the month as well. 

Edited by Pabo

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)