JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why is it that most western houses (US, Aus) have wooden doors?

That way, if anyone wants to break in, they can.

Most houses in Korea and China have metal doors, ones robbers can't forcefully break in unless they have, well, dynamites.

Of course, if the residents become targets of crime, they can get attacked on their way home or out..

But anyway, I've always wondered why houses in the western countries aren't more metallic overall. 

Is it because, whether wooden or metal, if someone becomes a target of crime, it's no use in the end or does it have to do with the cost? 

For america...

I'd say it stems from pride mentality.  America was founded at a time when wood was the only option; traditionalists tend to like to celebrate the forefathers and follow in their ways b/c they're "proud to be an american", even when something more logical (steel) becomes available.  Social assimilation creates the widespread style preference and use even among those that aren't nationalists. 

JMO

Edited by Michelle81

Too, isn't a lot of the strength of a door in the hinges. Even though my doors are metal, they are hung on 2" hinges. So I bought heavier 3" hinges for more strength on that side. I also have metal storm doors so that when I open the main door I have something between me and the street, and whoever is standing  there..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

My research showed that many of the reasons wood is used is because it "compliments" the house and is customizable and can incorporate fancy designs without too much extra added cost.  Also, like @Michelle81 says, it's a style preference.  Metal is usually viewed as industrial and practical.  Now warm, homely, and inviting.  A good oak door on solid hinges with a good sturdy door jam and easily withstand assault from several people's shoulders and boots. 

A metal door set in a wooden doorjamb is no stronger than a wooden door set in the same jamb.

Most of the front doors on the new houses I used to work had metal doors set in wooden jambs.

A solid wood door can be just as sturdy as hollow metal doors. Most home metal door are not "solid" because they would be too heavy if they were and would add little-to-no insulation factor.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

12 hours ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

Most houses in Korea and China have metal doors, ones robbers can't forcefully break in unless they have, well, dynamites

I did not know this, that’s very interesting. 
Are they heavy to open? Is it all metal or partial? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

In Australia most houses have 2 doors. 

One is "wooden" and the other which is installed in front of the wooden door "metallic" security screen door with aluminum mesh. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/2032-x-813-x-19mm-barrier-door-aluminium-metric-grille-black_p2036330?store=6435&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP-p7Zh4BCB8zNfrtqEGfOdllRoMjPdxwmMtCUuGTdOgjMhffnYVHfhoCO6oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They come in many styles and shapes. 

Decorative-door-768x1080.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

30 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

One is "wooden" and the other which is installed in front of the wooden door "metallic" security screen door with aluminum mesh. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/2032-x-813-x-19mm-barrier-door-aluminium-metric-grille-black_p2036330?store=6435&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP-p7Zh4BCB8zNfrtqEGfOdllRoMjPdxwmMtCUuGTdOgjMhffnYVHfhoCO6oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I forgot about that.  In Los Angeles, most houses in bad areas have this.  You needed to get iron knuckles to be able to knock on them over and over again with enough power for the householder to hear you.  Here's a picture of the model that we had growing up.  They tested it by hooking it up to a car and attempting to pull it off.  My mom was furious because the guy did it in the yard and the tires created trenches while they were spinning.  It was placed onto a metal frame that was attached to the house.

download.jpg.af0d60e47a76f1554fed62e91796e3af.jpg

4 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I did not know this, that’s very interesting. 
Are they heavy to open? Is it all metal or partial? 

In fact, most houses in Korea are concrete so I think they match better with metal doors. 

Most people live in buildings (from 5 stories to tall apartments) 

Some people do live in 1-story houses and even then, it's almost never wooden. 

I don't know if they are all metal or just partially. sorry. 😣 

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Wow this brings back memories~! haha

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

A metal door set in a wooden doorjamb is no stronger than a wooden door set in the same jamb.

Most of the front doors on the new houses I used to work had metal doors set in wooden jambs.

A solid wood door can be just as sturdy as hollow metal doors. Most home metal door are not "solid" because they would be too heavy if they were and would add little-to-no insulation factor.

Yes you're right~! Maybe I should've asked why is that most 'houses' are wooden and how can I say, rather open to the public?

Because from the looks of it, anyone can break in if they really want.  

The US is a rather large place with a large amount of timber ... it is the preferred building material for single family homes. Even though some houses are built with cement block or steel studs ... the timber industry has managed to keep wood construction the most common way to build houses even though they have been devastating the timberland and, at some point, will exhaust the available trees to make lumber from.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Wood doors are what have always been used.  Contractors who build houses do what they have always known.  Wood doors have always been used and contractors just continue with what they know.  I considered metal doors and also metal door frames years ago.  But never got around to doing anything about it.

A metal frame house is considered to be fireproof, but the furnishings are not.  If a fire starts inside a metal frame house, the frame will soften and fail faster than a wood frame house, assuming that you are using cold-formed galvanized steel (U-shape and C-shape) in the construction.  I built a house out of cold-formed galvanized steel years ago.   It is still standing, although I do not live there.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just doors. Many houses in the US are made of wood. And I don't mean thick strong logs but plywood sheets. You just need a cutter to break into the house. :)

In some areas I also saw many houses which had a whole wall of glass. I guess crime is relatively low in those areas. A glass wall in Madrid wouldn't last even one day. Some idiot would throw a stone and break it. Houses here are made of bricks and concrete. But doors are still of wood (often with metal inside).

3 minutes ago, carlos said:

It's not just doors. Many houses in the US are made of wood. And I don't mean thick strong logs but plywood sheets. You just need a cutter to break into the house. :)

In some areas I also saw many houses which had a whole wall of glass. I guess crime is relatively low in those areas. A glass wall in Madrid wouldn't last even one day. Some idiot would throw a stone and break it. Houses here are made of bricks and concrete. But doors are still of wood (often with metal inside).

I wonder if the 2nd amendment(right to bear arms) has anything to do with that... 😆

Seriously... houses like that have crazy levels of surveillance.  You'd most likely get caught by the police, or maybe by the rich guy's "friends"

19 hours ago, carlos said:

I lived in a small town in Alabama in a house that had 5 sliding glass doors.  The two on the first level was from the living and dining areas and opened onto a back porch.  On the second level, two small bedrooms had sliding glass doors that opened up onto a deck above the back porch.  The master bedroom had a sliding glass door that opened up to a separate deck.

I worked with a guy that grew up in New York City.  He said they didn't have sliding glass doors there.  He made a joke about bulletproof glass.