JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2022 Governing Body Update #1

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 783 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I keep my camera on - it doesn't bother me. My wife, on the other hand, makes it a point to stay out of camera view. She does not like being on camera. This is not "new" since starting Zoom. She didn't answer at the meetings if she had to use a microphone and was not on the school. She has a hard time with those sorts of things but could go door-to-door with no problems.  All people are different.

While I would like all to keep their cameras on, I understand why some don't.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Probably 70-80% of our congregation keeps their cameras turned on for the most part.  We have announcements made at the beginning of each meeting to not be distracting if our camera is on.  There are a few who are camera shy and don't turn the cameras on at all.  But then there are others who live outside of town and don't always have the best Internet connection so their Zoom works better with the camera turned off.  When my husband has Audio-Video responsibilities, I log on separately and have to keep the camera turned off so the songs and videos will play properly.   I will have it turned on before and after the meetings.

Many in our congregation have had to compromise when it comes to keeping the camera on.  I jokingly say that we live east of nowhere.  Internet connection is pretty bad in most areas.  Satellite internet bad.  I'm fortunate to live in town, which allows me to enjoy cable internet.  In the beginning, many friends would keep their cameras on at the cost of their connection.  They'd get kicked off several times each meeting.  Finally, they learned to only turn on the camera when they're commenting.  Some of our elders set the example by doing that.  Our congregation is a big fan of Starlink internet.  It's enabled many friends to leave the camera on and have crystal clear connections. Many more are on the waiting list.  Maybe Elon can thank us by accepting a bible study. 😋

Well, I’ve sort of decided to, “use less make-up, and stop really fussing over my hair” , on occasions.

I strongly suspect we sisters will not have access to what we fuss over, one day. And, I don’t want the friends to say, “Who are you”. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

4 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Well, I’ve sort of decided to, “use less make-up, and stop really fussing over my hair” , on occasions.

I strongly suspect we sisters will not have access to what we fuss over, one day. And, I don’t want the friends to say, “Who are you”. 

I have to admit, a sister brought over the food that the branch was distributing during the early days of the pandemic, and she didn't have makeup on.  I thought, "Wow!  That whole family is pretty".  I thought her sister had come to town.  I didn't recognize her.  

10 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Do you mind calling my wife????

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, RNGuzman said:

We have announcements made at the beginning of each meeting to not be distracting if our camera is on

Our Congregation uses a "slash screen" displayed 2 minutes before the meeting begins

894224524_starkesplash2.thumb.png.f5cdda4fcb27cf9f47485e5d266fb5a4.png

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Our Congregation uses a "slash screen" displayed 2 minutes before the meeting begins

894224524_starkesplash2.thumb.png.f5cdda4fcb27cf9f47485e5d266fb5a4.png

I love this.  Just love it. A reminder my home is a Kingdom Hall. Plus the rest. Covered almost all the bases.

90S Indie GIF by Mattiel

If you are one who thinks all cameras should be on - look at your JWT avatar ... is it a real picture of you?  If not ... Do you really have room to complain?

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

90S Indie GIF by Mattiel

If you are one who thinks all cameras should be on - look at your JWT avatar ... is it a real picture of you?  If not ... Do you really have room to complain?

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

90S Indie GIF by Mattiel

Our meeting aren't the same thing as a web forum.

27 minutes ago, Dages said:

Our meeting aren't the same thing as a web forum.

But we do not shy away from reality, there is Club "Real pictures of Us" nothing hidden, real us. :P just saying....

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

90S Indie GIF by Mattiel

I agree. I've always been a bit sad that barely anyone on this board has a real pic of themselves as their avatar. One of the best moderated sites for Witnesses out here- but you don't show your face to your brothers and sisters? Your business, of course. Still... a pity... 😔

20 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

But we do not shy away from reality, there is Club "Real pictures of Us" nothing hidden, real us. :P just saying....

I know, but this is still different. Anyway, my picture is a family member : our cat.

Edited by Dages

21 hours ago, Qapla said:

I keep my camera on - it doesn't bother me. My wife, on the other hand, makes it a point to stay out of camera view. She does not like being on camera. This is not "new" since starting Zoom. She didn't answer at the meetings if she had to use a microphone and was not on the school. She has a hard time with those sorts of things but could go door-to-door with no problems.  All people are different.

While I would like all to keep their cameras on, I understand why some don't.

I am the same as your wife. I don't have the camera on but love going door to door. 

4 hours ago, Hope said:

I agree. I've always been a bit sad that barely anyone on this board has a real pic of themselves as their avatar. One of the best moderated sites for Witnesses out here- but you don't show your face to your brothers and sisters? Your business, of course. Still... a pity... 😔

I think everybody loves pictures. We like to see those we are talking with.

That being said, profiles on this site are visible to everybody, not only members. So I understand why some friends would refrain from showing their real picture.

A couple of my daughters pointed out - it's not so much that they don't want others seeing them ... they don't like seeing themselves on camera - this could be typical of many who keep their camera off ... they don't like seeing their own picture and every movement they make.

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

A couple of my daughters pointed out - it's not so much that they don't want others seeing them ... they don't like seeing themselves on camera - this could be typical of many who keep their camera off ... they don't like seeing their own picture and every movement they make.

Some in our congregation cast the meeting from their device to a larger screen so the family can watch the meeting together, but their device is at the wrong position to use the camera.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Some in our congregation cast the meeting from their device to a larger screen so the family can watch the meeting together, but their device is at the wrong position to use the camera.

We do the same. The camera is on my PC not the TV

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

It's a simple thing to turn off "self view". Others have the privilege and encouragement of seeing your face but you don't have to 😊